“Not much for the price...”

Courtyard Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for twelve nights while teaching a course in New York City. This place seemed very difficult to find, even with a very good GPS. We were paying appx. $230 a night for a "standard room." The room was clean and comfortable and the rate did include free parking in their garage. Still, for that rate, I expected much more. The room did not have a microwave or fridge in it, which is standard at a Hilton Garden Inn (which is what this property should be comparable to).The room had a coffee maker, but who really enjoys hotel room coffee? Apparently they are working on such a tight profit margin at these (and much higher) rates, they couldn't even put out a large coffee carafe for their guests at any time of the day. Breakfast was available for purchase at an overpriced bistro, but the tight profit margin kept them from setting out brown-bag to-go breakfasts like one finds at Hampton Inns. The ceiling light in my bathroom started making a very high pitched, very loud sound on my second night there. I reported it to the front desk and they first asked if I wanted another room...they would upgrade me to a suite. "Oops, sorry, no suites are available right now, we'll send the engineer up tomorrow." He arrived, replaced a part in the light and assured me that it would not be making that noise again. The following night it started again and the following day I again reported it to the front desk. There was no offer of an upgrade, but they did move me to the room adjacent to my original one. Adjacent to the hotel is an Outback Steakhouse and a Carraba's and their are other places to eat a short walk away. Overall, the hotel was a decent place to eat, but it was overpriced for the amenities that they provided.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick D

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is what you would expect from a Courtyard. It is clean and the rooms are good size. It has plenty of parking onsite and there are many restaurants within walking distance. It is part of a large shopping complex called Harmon Meadow. It is a little noisy from the parking garage side but not too terrible. I did try to make a change to my reservation and I was transferred several times between the front desk, reservations, and the front desk again. They need to work on that part of customer service but overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We had a very good experience with the Courtyard. The room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. I was very appreciative of a special check in request that was easily accommodated. This is a great NJ hotel for easily visiting NYC. The only negative was that there was only one elevator for 7 floors working.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My sons and I spent three nights at this hotel, using it solely as a place to sleep while visiting NYC. The location was ideal, being right across the street from the bus that takes you right into Times Square. The room was clean, although a bit small. No breakfast was included, but then again that's the case in all Courtyard hotels by Marriott so I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. We brought our own beverages for the mini fridge as well as Pop Tarts and snacks, which was all we needed. The elevators were very slow but since we were on the second floor, we just used the steps. We stayed here because I had enough Marriott points to stay for free, so it was well worth it. Not sure I would choose this hotel if I actually had to pay for it, though.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floor in case elevators are slow or not working.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SBGAL2011
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Would go back and convenient to visit NYC. Bus stop is 1 minute walking distance. Restaurants and shops near by. Hotel is clean but lack free breakfast and pool. Free parking is nice and friendly staff.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The hotel offers a great first impression - nice building in an area with many services, free level parking, gorgeous lobby!!

But then...incredibly slow elevators leading to average rooms. No pool whatsoever. No breakfast included, not even free coffee in the lobby, just an overpriced bistro. No free toiletries available at front desk if you forgot something at home.

It was not a bad place...but I expected more from a Marriott. I've travelled a lot this past year and most hotels just offer a lot more for this rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank meemsikins99
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here at this Marriott property for 2 nights this past weekend. The best asset of the hotel is its location. With that said, I would definately pay a little more and return to the Embassy Suites (Hilton property) or the Hyatt Place. Both are excellent properties. Marriott recently put a great amount of money into remodeling the lobby of this hotel. Added a real nice bistro cafe for breakfast. Unfortunately, the prices reflect the money that was spent! Considering the neighboring hotels offer free breakfasts, I had difficulty paying $10pp for an average breakfast. The front desk staff were trained, but offered no smiles or personality at all. Definately did not give a warm reception or go out of their way at all. Did however, do what was requested of them. Our room was very average, nothing outstanding. Amenities and towels were budget quality. Too many choices in Secaucus to return to a property that left no positive impression. The worst part of the hotel were the elevators. We rode up 86 floors faster at the Empire State Building than we did 2 floors at the Courtyard! Sorry Marriott, but you need to improve this property to meet Courtyard standards.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family