“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Chantilly, Virginia
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed at this Embassy Suites for 1 night on July 4, 2014. Was going to stay for 2, but decided to go home to Va. Issues:
1: carpet, sofa and chair had stains on them.
2. Barhroom sink and tub was clogged, as the water took way to long to go down.
3. Mold around tub and bathroom.
4. Tub tub and shower knob leaked. The piece to switch to shower was broke. I have pics, but no way to post.

I even ran into the manager in the lobby as I was checking out and told him of my dissatisfaction of this hotel. I did receive an email from him, so I hope future guest does not experience this.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Rcgraham68
pinalfrank, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
We are sorry we did not provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn’t happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Walla Walla, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My most recent stay here was for four nights. This hotel has always had, and retains, a number of advantages. The mini-fridge and microwave in the rooms are a big plus. As always, my room was solidly comfortable. There was a little street noise at night, even on the 7th floor, but only a little. The variety of foods at breakfast is terrific, but the quality isn't always very good (I wouldn't even know where to find bacon sliced that thinly, although many hotels serve it). With one or two exceptions, if the staff here was any more polite, I would suspect they were from a different planet. I had a minor maintenance issue when I checked in on a Saturday around 4 pm, but Augustine was fixing it within ten minutes of my notifying the front desk. And of course the convenience of the 320 bus just across the street, which runs to NYC so frequently, is a big draw.

On the downside, as others have noted, this hotel is in serious need of a thorough renovation. Much of the furniture is scuffed or chipped, and carpeting in the room is stained in multiple places (or it was in my room, at least). On the two occasions I checked, the food at the "evening reception" consisted of several bowls of tortilla chips or potato chips, some dip, and a large plate of veggies that had definitely seen better days (the carrot sticks looked like they'd been around since the Clinton administration). When in conversation with me a hotel employee criticized another employee (who was not present) for several minutes---highly unprofessional. And the televisions switch on with the volume blaringly loud; if you don't press the volume control switch on the remote exactly the right way, it can take quite a while to lower it to an acceptable level.

All in all, this remains a good base for daytrips to New York City. But I expect to make a similar trip next year at around this time. If there have been no renovations here, it's likely that I'll try a different hotel.

Room Tip: At times, the lobby and breakfast area are noisy. Rooms on higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for continuing to stay at our hotel when visiting the area. We are very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that we will take your comments into serious consideration when planning for future upgrades to our hotel. We hope you will give us another try next year.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The property offered a lot of what we were looking for, close to Manhattan, available parking, free breakfast and a suite to accommodate five people. What we didn't expect was a dirty room at check-in. When we arrived in our room the bathroom appeared to have not been thoroughly clean--used towel and tissues on the sink, hairdryer on the counter and trash in the trash can. It took 45 minutes, after a couple of calls to the front desk and finally speaking to the housekeeping supervisor, to have the room completely done over. We requested a complete cleaning because the cleanliness of the entire room was in question. After complaining to the manager, he gave us Hilton points but actually the room needs to be renovated. The rug was badly stained, the bathroom mirror frame chipped and the sofa and chair in the living room area need to be replaced. This is not a place I would highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah D
pinalfrank, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

As a late arrival guest, I was allocated to a room in the first floor just next to the front desk and in front of the restaurant. It did not bother me at all except for the quite loud music that came from the bar I guess, that hopefully stopped by 10 pm. The room is clean, roomy with nice appliances in the small kitchen, such as microwave and coffee machine. Breakfast met expectations with a few choices of fruits, breads and eggs any-style made at order. Check-out was excellent. I stayed for only two nights and left the hotel by 5:30 am. The final check/invoice was already available in my room at 5 am. Awesome and efficient. Location was outstanding in my case, just a few steps from my office and with Wal-Mart and many fast-food restaurants located in a walking distance with Manhattan only 5 miles distant. Corporate rate was only USD250/night, very good for the region. I will consider this hotel in my next visit to NY/NJ even for leisure.

Room Tip: I would prefer staying in higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
pinalfrank, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent stay in Secaucus. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

St. Petersburg, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Everything was night except the quoted prices, There was a discrepencey in the price that was quoted for our family reunion compared to what I paid. One of the employees made a comment about you are already getting your room at a cheap rate. This comment was so out of line. We paid and spent quite a bit of money as a total family group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for staying at our hotel and your feedback. My apologies regarding the comment made to you about your rate. You are a valued guest of our hotel and we hope you will give us another try.

Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as opposed to a hotel in NYC. The location was perfect with am easy bus service into Port Authority. The front desk was very helpful supplying maps and info on transportation . Parking was a breeze. We ate early so avoided long lines. Manager's reception was okay ( veggies, party mix ) I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Chelstin
Thank you for your recent patronage. We are very pleased you enjoyed our hotel and the offerings. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Often stay here for work when visting from the UK. The staff are always pleasant and go out of their way to to help. Jason at the bar is always at hand to help or to fill your glass.
Rooms are comfortable and clean.
Am and will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig I
Thank you for your continued patronage. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.