“Room For Improvement”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
New York
“Room For Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel on business Last stay was about 2 years ago. When I arrived for my 2nd stay I quickly remembered the problem from my first stay, Parking stinks. They have very limited parking out front and the parking garage alternative next door did not give me a secure feeling especially at night. The hotel itself is adequate. The rooms are average, fairly clean with old furniture, outdated and in need of a complete renovation. The last time I was there I remember needing to hold up the toilet seat as I did my man thing. Apparently I had the same room as last time or other rooms have the same issue. The free Breakfast was ok and the checkout process was quick. The Room price is fair compared to other hotels in the secaucus area. It is close to the convention center and area shopping and restaurants.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Becci H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for the review. We are in the process of updating the rooms and we hope you will come back and visit so you can see the changes.
Thank you again for taking the time to give us your review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very friendly helpful staff. Large green space for dogs but it appears that the grass had not been mowed in a long time. My 15 pound dog was a little lost in it. Nice hot breakfast with real plates and flatware-not styrofoam or plastic.Best thing about the hotel is its location and proximity to NYC. A bus to the PABT and Times Square and another to Hoboken stop right across the street - a 20 minute ride to either location if there is no traffic.Buses return you to the front door of the hotel. A good alternative if you don't want to pay NYC hotel prices. Worst thing about this hotel are the towels. They are dingy and scratchy. Also the furniture is time-worn. This is the first LQ that we have encountered that has not yet upgraded to flat-screen TVs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We do read them and appreciate all comments. We are working on upgrading the rooms and property and hope you come back in the near future to see the changes.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good quality accommodations and helpful staff. Limited breakfast choices for non-meat and non-dairy; cereals, scrambled eggs and hard cooked eggs. Good access to New York with bus stop in front of hotel and reasonable travel times.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Becci H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for you review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are working on adding new items to the breakfast menu and we hope when you are back in the area you will stay with us again.
Hanover, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I got a great price on a suite at this hotel on Priceline and I mainly chose it for the proximity to NYC since that was where we were spending the majority of our time. The best thing about the hotel is that the bus picks up right in front on a regular schedule and it is fairly inexpensive to get in and out of the city by way of the Port Authority. When we arrived here I noticed that while the lobby has an appearance of being kind of classy it is kind of grimy when you start to look closely. I am not really that picky but I would say that on the whole that was my feeling throughout the stay. Our room was on the 6th floor facing the highway but the noise was not too bad. We could see the Empire State Building out our window which my children liked. The room was the same as the lobby - looked ok at first but then looked fairly below average upon closer inspection. The desk chair and couch had stains on them, the bathroom shower did not drain well so you were standing in a couple of inches of water by the time you were done. The beds seemed clean enough and we were very tired at the end of each day so we slept well. The breakfast was OK. One of the days we stayed everything was well stocked but the 2nd day we had to wait for plates, forks, restocking of food, etc. and there didn't seem to be anyone in the dining room to help. One other thing - one of the main reason I picked this hotel over others is because it has a pool. We went down to use it and it was not clean. Weird looking bubbles floating on the surface, my son saw a hairball near the steps, and it was very cold. My son actually did jump in for a minute but my two daughters would not and that was all we did at the pool - it was disappointing. The front desk attendant was helpful when we checked in and employees we ran into seemed nice enough. There is free parking and internet which were nice. There is also a Wal-Mart down the street and a couple of restaurants nearby which would have been good if we were staying local instead of going into the city. Outside of the office park area where this hotel is located it is pretty depressing looking - swamp land, trash on the street, etc. but the actual area where this hotel is is nicer. We went to the Statue of Liberty from the NJ side and this hotel was convenient for that. I don't think I'd stay here again - I'd probably look for another hotel in the area that is a little more updated. All in all, I got pretty much what I paid for. I was just expecting it to be a bit nicer.

Room Tip: Even if you are on the highway side of the hotel it is pretty quiet.
1 Thank dco12
Becci H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I appreciate the time you took for the survey. I do hope you had an enjoyable time with us.
I apologize for the temp. of the pool water, we are working on making sure it stays at a comfortable temp all the time.
Please consider us when you are back in the area visiting. We would love to show you a great stay.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

First of all, I was traveling with 10 kids. Once arriving at the hotel, I was shocked on just how nice the hotel was. I haven't stayed at an La Quinta Inn in years. Everything was just great - from the room to the pool and the breakfast. If I were to visit New York again, I will be staying here!

Room Tip: Suites are very large.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Becci H, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad you had a wonderful time. Please remember us when you are back in the area looking for a hotel.
We appreciate your business.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Laquinta
Check-in ~ I stayed here with a group, so all check-ins were done prior to my arrival, I didn't deal with the front desk for the check in process.
Rooms~ I received a suite, when you first walked in, there was a large sitting area with couch, chair and desk, this room was very tastefully decorated and allowed you to keep your sleeping quarters separate from work area, also a nice place to relax from a long day.
Down a short hallway you passed a kitchenette area, there was a coffee pot, and microwave and I believe a small fridge. I didn't use any except coffee pot, so I can't say for 100% about the fridge. After the kitchenette was the bathroom, bright lights in bathroom are a bonus!! Nice thick towels! Had very good water pressure and always had good hot water! Blow dryer in bathroom too.
Bed and sleeping area, king size bed, very comfortable, ample supply of pillows and they were all very comfortable. I wish hotels would have a small card in their rooms saying if you like the pillows, mattress or towels..this is the brand and style we use in your rooms. Sometimes you find them so comfortable you wish you could buy the same kind. I say that because the mattress and pillows were super comfortable.
Dining~ our group had a meal for our arrival evening. I was very impressed with the choices and the taste. The dessert table, had many choices as well. Staff was super good at service, only thing I might recommend is not coming around to the tables as much when people are finishing. I was still eating and was asked by three different servers if they could take my plate, felt a little rushed, but they were always pleasant when I told them I was still eating.
Our group also ate breakfast in the dining area. Many choices were available, scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, breads,cereals and rolls. Perfect way to start the day!
There is a pool and workout area, both were used by our group and they all agreed were nice to have.
I had a problem in my room, the dead bolt was not working and I did notify front desk staff to see if they could please fix it, upon my return to my room that evening, dead bolt was fixed. I was very pleased with their quick action to the problem.

Night manager was extremely nice and as I would come in he always welcomed me with a warm genuine smile. He was friendly and he is a nice addition to your staff.
I wish I would have got names for several of the staff to give kudos to them , and I apologize for not doing so. Hotel was very well run!

My one recommendation would be that there is a night time housekeeper working, she is from the Dominican Republic, very friendly and cheerful person, but she spoke no English, very difficult to speak to her , and that was a bit frustrating. She seemed like a hard worker, but with no ability to speak to people, she was unable to do the best job possible, because she couldn't understand us. With that said, my recommendation would be to have the hotel require her to take some English classes or offer her some type of incentive pay if she enrolls in a English class.

There were many student groups here, but they were all really respectful groups and the noise was not loud at all.
I would stay here again, hotel coupled with good staff and good rooms make this hotel a great place to stay.
The location is also very good, a short drive through the tunnel and you are in the heart of NYC!

Thanks for reading this far! That about completes my review, I end all of my reviews with saying the following: Please do NOT hesitate to email me with any further questions. I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Becci H, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. We are glad you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed the city and all it had to offer. We hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to this area.
Xenia, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had to move hotels and ended up at La Quinta. I had an incorrect idea of La Quinta in my head. It was a lovely hotel, great large room and everyone was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great and lots of seating. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We are glad you had a great stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future when your travels bring you to this area. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in making your next reservation for you.