“Won't go back”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I travel for my work up to 3 weeks out of every month, so I am in hotels across the US.
Working in Union City, NJ, I was booked into this hotel.
It had been a dreadful day of delays trying to get to NJ, so once I arrived I was looking forward to resting in my room.
HOWEVER....I walked into my room only to find dirt and lint all over the floor, so this told me that no one had vacuumed. THEN, I took my luggage towards the bed only to find black pieces of some unknown substance all over the pillow and bed covering.
The room reeked with the smell of cigarette smoke and I am always in a non smoking facility due to allergies, so this was a huge issues as well.
I immediately called the front desk and spoke with Whitman. He came up to my room immediately to assess the issue and told me he would do everything within his power to get me into another room.
Someone was to come up and clean the room immediately, so I went off to find dinner across the street.
I was gone for over an hour and upon my return, I was given keys to another room and was told by another front desk associate that "it was only soot from the air vents". REALLY??? Well, shouldn't those vents be cleaned?? And if is soot, then what is going to stop it from blowing on me as I slept?
There was no way I was going to go back into that room to stay for 3 days!
I went up to get my luggage and guess what?? NO ONE TOUCHED THAT ROOM. It was still filthy.
The only bright shining star in that hotel was a gracious, most professional young man named Whitman.
My guess, if he is smart, he will look to a facility that knows how to keep a clean hotel.

Room Tip: I would not stay here ever again.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Contrary to some of the reviews I read on tripadvisor, I found the LaQuinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands to be perfectly acceptable and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it wasn't in the run-down condition some stated that it was. It is a beautiful hotel located minutes from the ferry to NYC. Extremely convenient to our needs. The room was spacious and the bed super comfortable. We had a sitting room, as well as bedroom and both rooms had large-screen TVs. We didn't try the complimentary breakfast as we had to catch an early ferry to NYC, but we did visit the bar after a long day of traveling and photographing the NYC skyline and found the bartender to be very friendly and the atmosphere to be that more of friends having a drink at the bar than a room full of strangers. He engaged everyone in conversation and it made us feel right at home. We will definitely book at this hotel the next time we travel to NYC.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Awful experience dirty room, no wake up call and whole night without air conditioning. Little to resolve issues just sorry, Wasted my money and points. stained furniture room 719. What is shown on web of rooms must be extremely outdated.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We paid $217 for a suite. We waited an hr past our check in time to get into our room because housekeeping was short staffed & wasn't getting rooms clean in time. There were several other families waiting for their rooms as well. We didn't even get a sorry for it! Once we finally got to our room the first thing we noticed was the stains on the floor. They were everywhere & large! We had to ask for bedding for the sofa pullout 3 times! We were told twice they would bring them but when they weren't delivered we called a third time & were told WE could come get them. Then when we went to the front counter to get them & told the front end attendant we had asked for them hours ago he told us "well I wasn't here then so there's nothing I can do about it. You'll have to wait at least a half hr until we can get them to you". He was VERY rude about it! There are also no screens on the Windows on the eighth floor! When the Windows are opened fully there is 3 ft opening that any child, pet or adult could very easily fall out of. Very unsafe! There was also broken equipment in the workout room & our toilet kept continuously running. Over all a bad stay & definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather I
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the LaQuinta Inn Secaucus, NJ. The management and staff were accommodating and pleasant; the room was comfortable, but the room furniture need to be updated; the breakfasts were excellent; and transportation the New York City was right outside the main entrance. The carpeting and flat screen televisions were new. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently stayed at the La Quinta in Secaucus, New Jersey and was horribly disappointed at the run down condition of this hotel. I was on the 9th floor which was absolutely disgusting. The carpeting was badly ripped and stained. The mattresses felt like they were 100 years old. Cigarette smoke loomed in the air (I am a non-smoker). The room needed a total scrub down. There would have been a beautiful view of the city had the windows been cleaned. The bathroom was clean but the linens were a disgusting shade of grime.

The first floor lobby ladies' room had water seeping through the tiles of the toilets which I did report to the front desk. The whole hotel needed a good scrubbing and TLC.

The hotel offered a complimentary breakfast but given the condition of the hotel I opted to have my coffee and limited my in-take of food for a better and cleaner place.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you see the room before you pay for it. Make sure the room is exactly what you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peggy W
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at this hotel several years ago and chose it again for its easy access to Manhattan. The bus stop is right across the street and goes right to the Port Authority.
There is free breakfast which offers a wide selection.
Didn't use the pool so I can't speak about that.
The staff (particularly Angela) is friendly and helpful.
The facility was very clean. The common areas are very nice.

Now for the negative....the rooms haven't been updated in years. The carpets were stained, the furniture worn. A plus was excellent water pressure...a sticking point for me. The good news is that I included my opinion about the outdated rooms in the survey and a hotel rep responded that a renovation is scheduled for later this year. If that happens I would say this is a perfect, reasonably priced choice for accommodations near NYC.

• Stayed: July 2014