“Great place to stay while visiting NYC!!”

Meadowlands River Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to stay while visiting NYC!!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting NYC. The beds were comfy, the room was clean, the breakfast was good, the staff were friendly and helpful. There were a lot of tour buses full of people at the hotel while we were here but it didn't interrupt or disrupt our stay. There was a very friendly and outgoing gentleman working the breakfast area both days (helping with the waffles) that seemed to ensure the food was stocked and everyone was able to get what they needed. There's a bus stop across the street from the hotel that will take you to the bus port authority in downtown New York City (right by Times Square) in about 20/30 minutes for about $8 roundtrip a person (VERY convenient and helpful!). We will definitely be staying here anytime we come to New York.

Room Tip: There's no views to speak of so I don't know how a tip would be helpful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sugarpea81
Haresh R, Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a 5 star review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I want to also thank you for mentioning the breakfast crew who does a great job everyday to serve a warm tasty meal. Again, thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is an older hotel. The location is great but a little challenging to find. The room looked like it may have been updated with new linens but the elevators, common areas and hotel rooms are in real need of renovation. It must have just changed hands beacuse there was a large cover blocking the name on top of the building. If it was not for the GPS on my phone, I would not have known we had reached the hotel. I would go back but only if I knew renovations had been completed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thumper1997
Thank you for your review. I am glad you still liked your stay with the challenges you experienced. The hotel is due for renovations. We work hard everyday to bring all of our guest the best service possible. We hope to see you again.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The Meadowlands River Inn, previously was an Hampton Inn. Without a GPS is not so easy to find, once there is no sign or name in front. Beside that, the location is very good. We knew that we would depend on transportation to go to Manhattan, but it is very easy to take the bus 320 available each 10 or 20 minutes, depending on time of the day, and runs till 02:00AM. By feet from the hotel you will reach a 24hrs Wall Mart, an Outback, a Red Lobster and a lot of other services. The hotel instalations are very good and clean. All staff is very attentious and friendly. Laundry, breakfast, gym and other amenities works well too. A weak point is the poor outside light blockage in the room. Definitely we would return and be there again.

2 Thank Fadec300
Haresh R, Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for the great feedback and the likeness that you will return again. We are happy that you liked everything about the hotel, staff and the surroundings. I agree about the sign being too small and not very visible from all angles. We are working on having a sign fixed to the building. Thank you so much for staying at our hotel.
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room was clean but worn. Things like the chair had a tear.. bathroom could use a bit of update in the plumbing. The sink was dripping constantly.. we had to turn the knob to one side the whole way and push hard to get it to quit. I always check the sheets first thing to make sure no little critters are sharing our bed, but it was clean. Towels were clean. They had a continelntal breakfast. They had lots,.. but average fare, but nice not to have to leave to go to a restaurant.
The price was much better than the surrounding hotels, so made it affordable for us. We had reserved for 2 nights, but when we got there, they said it was for one night. We decided to leave a day early anyway. The hotel is under a new name, so think they are going through a transition.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
I am very sorry that we didn't have the correct dates for your reservation. I do really appreciate you mentioning that the hotel is run clean. The building is older and need some TLC, and we are in the process of receiving that. I am happy you still enjoyed and thank you for the 4 star review. Thank you.
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of days to use the nearby bus link into Manhattan. That worked really well but there are lots of others nearby I will consider next time. The room was OK although corridors smelt strange and the lift was felt like someone was winding it by hand, but my lasting recollection will be the worst breakfast I have ever been served (or not). The food and coffee was awful, I am used to the buffet approach of US motels and even expect the polystyrene plates, but the 'fare' was awful. I tried the one hot food option the first day but found it inedible. I think it would have been called gravy. The second was a banana breakfast as that was the only thing looking edible.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul G
Haresh R, Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry the hotel was not up to your expectations. We want you to be extremely satisfied during your stay with us. I do want to mention that we use the same food service company and the brands of food items that are only supplied to other top tier branded hotels. Again I am very sorry that you were not happy.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2014

It was our first time back for 3 nights since the banner change from Hampton Inn. The room we received at check-in was not acceptable: dirty bed sheets and toilet... yuk! Was given a new room which was much better but it seems to me the rooms were much cleaner before the change of ownership.

On the plus side, the front desk staff was extremely friendly and accommodating, the breakfast was well stocked at all times and the Wi-Fi worked flawlessly. With the convenience of the 320 bus right across the street that gets you to the NYC Port authority in a snap, I will probably stay here again.

1 Thank alment
I am very sorry that we made a huge mistake by checking you into an not cleaned room. We follow strict guidelines when it comes to cleaning rooms. I do apologize once again for the error. I am glad once things were corrected you started seeing the good. Our goal is to make every guest have the best experience during the stay. Thank you for staying and we will see you again.
Christiansburg, VA
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in this hotel while on a bus tour of New York City over Easter weekend. The area looked to be very safe, clean and the bus stop right across the street that takes you to the city is very accessible with the drop off back from the city even closer.
The hotel staff was wonderful, very accomodating and friendly, even had someone making waffles for us on Easter morning. The breakfast was very well layed out and the usual fare but very fresh and delicious. Waffles, eggs, gravy, biscuits, oatmeal, pastries, breads, bagels, 4 varieties of juices, coffee, tea. Very clean area, not a huge sitting area to eat, but remember, I was with a bus tour, so there were 44 of us, not very practical to have seating for that many at one time.
Room was very nice, plenty of room, bathroom was VERY clean, bed was very comfortable and we slept so well!!! I would definitely stay here again and will recommend to friends who like to stay in New Jersey when going to NYC..

2 Thank matsgrls
Thank you for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing our staff as wonderful and friendly. I'm glad you enjoyed breakfast and everything else the hotel offers. Hope you will be able to stay with us again, soon!