“Cheap, great option to NY”

Meadowlands River Inn
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
“Cheap, great option to NY”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Great Option! Only 20 minutes to Manhattan, big room, great free breakfast ! Close to Wall Mart with refrigerator and microwave you will save a lot of money with food!!
For a complete review: http://cruelladebella.blogspot.com/2014/07/dica-de-hotel-meadowlands-river-inn.html

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gabriele A
Katie M, General Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I'm so pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is formerly a Hampton Inn, and was re-branded to Meadowlands River Inn in October of 2013. As such, there are still some things that do need attention – most particularly the signage on the exterior. If one did not know where the hotel was located (I did, as I know the area) it would be very difficult to locate given the current signage. That the hotel is behind a bank of trees does not help! Until the signage improves, look for 300 Harmon Meadow and turn in there. It is the same entrance, and the 300 is very visible.

I encountered excellent staff, well mannered and both interested in service, and willing to please.

The room had no problems save for a slow-flushing toilet which is not uncommon in any hotel.

The elevators were on the slow side, however the hotel was not busy so this was not a serious problem. If there were a convention or large group in the hotel this might be more of an issue.

The only problem was with the pillows in the room (non-feather had been requested because of an allergy); this was attended to immediately and without any indication it was a difficulty; apologies were made for the failure to get this correct initially.

The morning breakfast buffet was adequate and consisted of waffles, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, bacon (one morning) and home-fried potatoes (the second morning), various cereal, breads and other such items (muffins/bagels), juices and fresh fruit. There was a self-serve microwave oven which worked well, and toasters that I did not use (but heard no complaints about). Coffee and tea were both available, and these are available 24 hours a day. The coffee was hot, and the cups were a decent size, rather than tiny ones that many hotels use.

The only serious issue surrounding the breakfast set-up was the seating, which was too limited for the size and capacity of the hotel. This was addressed the second morning by staff opening a meeting room a few paces away. While this worked, the room had a musty, mildew-like smell (probably only noticeable to those of use with mould allergies, as it was not very strong). I expect both the air conditioning filter and the carpeting need to be changed in that room.

Overall, I would give this hotel excellent ratings, and put the few minor issues down to the establishment changing hands. I would return without giving it another thought, and I would recommend the hotel to others. The small flaws will likely be corrected.

Finally, again a note about the staff: I did not encounter anyone, from front desk to maintenance chap riding the elevator, who was not extremely polite and courteous, and who was not in good humour. This says a great deal about management, as when people aren't content it shows. While this is new management, the overall feeling is that things are on the right track. Unless something changes, I would expect this hotel to move forward positively.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank RedMtl
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice and detailed review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the suggestions as well. I hope to see you again soon during your next visit to the area.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our first visit to this hotel and we were pleasantly surprised. The location is great - across the street from restaurants, close to WalMart and right across the street from the bus to Manhattan. Breakfast was fine - about what you'd expect. The 24-hour coffee and tea was very much appreciated, although it would have been extra nice to have decaf coffee available at all times as well. The room was clean and tidy with very comfortable beds, which are a welcome thing after a day of walking around Manhattan! Cesar at the front desk was polite, friendly and helpful. Thanks Cesar!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chorney942
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our amenities. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Cesar! he is a valued member of our team and I'm pleased to hear that he was able to assist you.
We hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

After reading many many reviews for hotels in the area and the NYC area, I chose this hotel. ..it had pretty good reviews and what sealed the deal was free parking and a bus stop to New York right across the street. ..I must say the hotel is not much to look at on the outside but it really was a great choice. ..free hot breakfast, Walmart, Sams and plenty of restaurants in walking distance and it was just a short bus ride to the NYC Port Authority. ..I would definitely stay here again. ..One more plus was the mini fridge and microwave

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Keitra W
Thank you so much for leaving a 5 star review! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient for your shopping, dining, and travelling needs. I'm happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and were able to use the refrigerator and microwave in your room. We hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everything is so nice especially for the location. It only takes 20mins to go to time square.
The staff are all very nice! Jennifer who is the front desk really nice and helpful! We also like the sir who help us to make the cake as breakfast and he is really funny and loves his job! I also want to say thanks to every staff who helped me when we were in your hotel! We will come back again! -- Shen Qi

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ShenQ
Katie M, General Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a 5 star review. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. I'm happy that our location and service was accommodating for you and I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the entire staff. We hope to see you again soon!
Pune, India
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very good hotel and strategically located with all the amenities that a business traveler asks for. The staff is extremely friendly, especially Jennifer from the front desk who made the stay very cosy and comfortable with her ever smiling and helping attitude. She definitely makes the guests feel at home. I give this hotel a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are better with the view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SoumenBanerjee
Thank you so much for the 5 star review. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for your needs. We take a lot of pride in our customer service and I'm so happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. I will definitely pass your compliments along to Jennifer. She is a valued member of our team and I'm glad she was able to assist you. We hope to see you again soon!
Quebec
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is generally nice. The staff at the desk was very nice and friendly and answered all of our questions. The room is kind of ordinary but pretty decent. When we entered our room, it had a musty odor but it went away when we started air conditionning. The fridge worked out pretty good contrary to other comments I read. It kept our drinks very cold. The breakfast is O.K. but if you want fruits, you have to arrive early. The bus stop for New York is just on the other side of the street. There are some decent restaurants near the hotel. The maid started making our room before we emptied it completely...That was ordinary. Overall, the place is a nice quality for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank serena68
Katie M, General Manager at Meadowlands River Inn, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. I hope to see you again during your next visit to the area so we can show you how we strive to exceed our guests' expectations!