“I loved it, just try it!!”

Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Montreal, Canada
“I loved it, just try it!!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Hi everyone, I have just returned from a two night stay at the Hyatt Place Secaucus Meadowlands and here is my review. I choose this hotel after going through the reviews in Trip Advisor, it was rated first out of all the others in the area and I liked what others had said so I decided to try it. Well did I ever make the right choice! It was perfect, I loved everything about this hotel, from check in to check out it was simply wonderful. Everything worked flawlessly, the room was spacious and nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable with quality linens. Shower worked well, elevator was quick, and breakfast was decent. If management is reading please don`t change anything, you have amazing staff and a wonderful hotel. Just so you know I booked this package through Expedia for two nights including breakfast and free parking for $360.00 Cdn including applicable taxes. The real plus is that there is a bus stop directly across the street, and the bus runs every fifteen minutes, once on the bus it will take you another fifteen minutes to ride through the Lincoln tunnel to Port Authorities (42nd and 8th) it the heart of downtown Manhattan, also the bus enter directly from the tunnel through a reserved lane without having to navigate through the busy NY streets. This is a big plus because if you are driving the same distance it can take you fifteen minutes just driving to get to the tunnel. If you have never stayed on the New Jersey side just try it, you will get a much better dollar value for your stay and for your meals as well, you won`t be disappointed trust me I go regularly to New York. So for the final question, would I return to the Hyatt Place Secaucus Meadowlands? Yes absolutely!! and may I suggest you try it, it`s great!

Room Tip: Try the restaurant Carrabba`s Italian Grill, it`s a five minute walk and it is excellent!
1 Thank Mikealoneathome
HPS201, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Mikealoneathome,

We're so happy that your experience here met the high expectations people have come to expect given our high rating on Trip Advisor. Yes, the New Jersey side of the Hudson river is commonly known as the "Sixth Borough" of New York City and in many ways, our property is a much more convenient and reasonable choice than many other hotels located in the 5 boroughs.

I'm glad you were able to make full use of New Jersey Transit's bus 320. 15 minutes is the shortest ride I've ever experienced on the 320 into Manhattan (and I might add that the view of the Manhattan skyline on the 320 bus is spectacular while going through Weehawken just before the Lincoln Tunnel). Typically, this bus will take 20 minutes in normal traffic. During weekday rush hour, the bus can take 45 to 90 minutes. We recommend taking the train from Secaucus Junction during these more traffic-heavy hours. The train will take you to New York Penn Station, just about 7 blocks down from Port Authority.

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our showers. We renovated each and every one of our showers less than a year ago, and we're glad to see that the investment we made in a high-quality guest experience has paid off.

You'll be glad to hear that more renovations are coming soon in the first quarter of 2014. We are constantly upgrading and keeping our hotel in top shape to provide the quality that our loyal guests have come to expect.

We hope to welcome you back for your next visit to our area, and I also invite you to explore the Hyatt website and our loyalty program: Hyatt Gold Passport. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I'd be more than happy to tell you more about it.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts here with the online community. Your referral is our greatest compliment, and I'll be sure to share it with my colleagues.

Elliot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This Hotel is an excellent value in Secaucus and those who are frustated about the hotel situation in NYC. BUS 320 connects Port Authority Terminal with the hotel at minimal cost and quickly. The free breakfast is innovative and not only"continental".Our two fullsize beds room with seperate sleeper sofa sitting area was double thesize of a $350 plus room in mid town NYC. The lobby could be a little more attractive as it is very, very basic,but apart from that: A rating of 5 is deserved, also for the very friendly and more than helpful staff we met for two night last week.We will come back!

1 Thank Wolfgang P
Dear Wolfgang P,

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many people who are visiting New York City prefer to stay with us in Secaucus not only because of our reasonable prices, but also because of the spaciousness of our rooms, the many dining options available in Harmon Meadows Plaza, the convenience of nearby public transportation options into Manhattan, and the tranquility of this safe, suburban setting that we call Harmon Meadows.

It's true that Hyatt is renowned for having grandiose lobbies. Hyatt Place is a new concept that came out just a few years ago, and in place of the traditional lobby, we offer our Hyatt Place Gallery - a cozy place to lounge, enjoy food and beverage, socialize, read a book, or surf the Internet on our complimentary wifi. Newer Hyatt Place Galleries have nuances, and each property's Gallery will vary a little in its design. We do appreciate your feedback in this regard. Our Gallery was designed with convenience, simplicity, and elegance in mind.

As a staff member myself, I am very pleased that you found us to be friendly and more than helpful. We always strive to provide extraordinary service and I'm thrilled to read that we've exceeded your expectations. Your rating of 5 stars is our biggest compliment.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stained carpet in room. Clearly been there for sometime. Didn't want to complain.. Having arrived in the night from London , too much hassle.
Ironic thing is , the room was serviced on Sunday, I did request no need to change sheets, but stain on carpet remains... Hmm..???
Some staff are friendly and accommodating, tho not a nice experience whilst calling for a pick up from Union City, having travelled to jersey gardens outlet mall... Somewhat abrupt reception on the phone!
Still have 2 days, I plan to update further... Not happy my card details was taken at check-in ( for incidentals they call it ) , however had paid in full upon my arrival???? Shall watch out for that. Part 2 tomorrow !!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Randomne
HPS201, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Randomne,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your experiences at our property with the online community. We take your feedback very seriously, and we work very hard to keep our carpets as clean as possible. Our carpets all undergo a regular deep-cleaning, which might have been what was needed for the stain on the carpet in this room. At the same time, some stains are permanent, and we would have to wait until the carpet can be replaced.

Jersey Gardens is a very popular destination for great shopping. A taxi ride to Jersey Gardens would cost about $60. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle which can take you to the Union City bus station. As you discovered, from the Union City bus station you can get to Jersey Gardens on New Jersey Transit bus #111. Our shuttle is there for you from 7am to 10:45pm. All you have to do is block a time for yourself to use our shuttle, since it does get very busy sometimes. Many of our guests prefer this indirect route to Jersey Gardens over taking a taxi.
When you called for our shuttle to pick you up from the Union City bus station, we're sorry to hear that our phone reception was anything less than patient and pleasant. This is not the level of phone etiquette that we strive for at Hyatt Place in Secaucus. We value our guests' opinions, and I've shared your review with our other supervisors.

At hotels throughout the United States, it is common practice to provide a credit card (or debit card) to guarantee incidentals. Some hotels even accept a cash guarantee (typically $200 cash). Even when a hotel booking is paid "in full", a guarantee for incidental charges that may or may not accrue during the guest's stay is necessary in order to check the guest in. The term "paid in full" is then a bit misleading, and I apologize for that misnomer, and I further apologize that this custom was not made clear to you at the time of booking your reservation.
At our hotel, we hold $25 a night to guarantee a guest's incidentals. We accept credit cards for this guarantee, and will only accept debit cards if a guest is aware of our debit card policy.

If you would like to further discuss any of this, please feel free to call in and talk to me or another of our hosts or supervisors. Meeting a guest's expectations is a top priority for us, and it's especially important that we hear from our guests when something goes wrong. We hope that you'll give us a second chance to welcome you back to our area in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Great location. 1 street away from Bus Stop to Manhattan. 20 minutes at night to get back from NYC. Spectacular free breakfast. Lovely modern room. Was not pleased with the lobby. It felt a bit small and congested. Staff was helpful.

2 Thank HarveyAs
HPS201, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear HarveyAs,

We're glad to hear that you appreciated the convenient public transportation options near our hotel. And indeed, New Jersey Transit bus 320 is right across the street. Traffic into the city can be heavy during weekday rush-hour traffic, but in normal traffic, the commute time is about 20 minutes, which a quicker way into Midtown Manhattan than taking the subway from many other places in Uptown Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our A.M. Skillet Breakfast, and also disappointed that our Gallery area didn't meet your expectations. Due to our proximity to Manhattan and many New Jersey convention and shopping centers, we are the busiest Hyatt Place property in the nation so far, and our Gallery can get packed at times. That said, many of our guests prefer to stay with us because we have some of the most spacious rooms in the greater NYC metropolitan area. We hope that your experience in our Gallery doesn't overshadow the rest of your stay here, and we sincerely hope to welcome you back for your next visit to our area.

As a staff member, I'm personally very glad that you found us to be helpful during your stay, and on behalf of all my associates here at Hyatt Place in Secaucus, I hope that you'll stay with us again for your next trip to our area.

Burnaby, British Columbia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Nice hotel, convenient access to NYC, perfect for families! Breakfast is awesome, great selection, big rooms and comfy beds. Walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping. About 1.5 hr commute from JFK, but better to fly into a closer airport

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Quatro4Amigos,

We often hear enthusiastic feedback about the spaciousness of our rooms. In fact, it's one of the reasons that we are the preferred hotel of many travellers staying here in the greater NYC metropolitan area. We're delighted that you enjoyed our A.M. Skillet Breakfast. We cater to all kinds of tastes, from those who desire something richer like French toast and egg-patty sandwiches on buiscuits, to those with a health-conscious palate who enjoy our selection of fresh fruit, oatmeal and yoghurt.

Newark Liberty International Airport is the closest major airport to our hotel. A taxi ride these days should run about $50-$60, depending on the taxi. The ride should also take about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. If you're travelling light, you can take Newark Airport's Airtrain to the Newark Airport Train Station, from where you can catch a NJ Transit train to Secaucus Junction. It's about a 15 minute ride from Newark Airport Station to Secaucus Junction. Once you're at Secaucus Junction, you can take a taxi to our hotel for about $15 or, between the ours of 7a.m. and 10:45p.m., our complimentary shuttle is available for our guests to book. Secaucus Junction is the most popular destination for our shuttle, so even if someone else has booked it, it very well may be headed for Secaucus Junction anyway.

Harmon Meadows is really expanding a lot. Many of our guests enjoy strolling in the pedestrian plaza right across the street, be it for restaurants, shopping, or to catch a movie at the movie theater. You'll be glad to hear that two new restaurants have recently open as well, including a Red Robin.

We hope you'll join us again for your next visit to our area.

Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was a wonderful quiet haven for us. We could take the short bus ride to the city, enjoy the crowds and noise of Times Square and then return to this clean spacious suite.
The breakfast is nicely varied and well maintained.
Staff are friendly and helpful, and little coffee wine bar is a nice stop for cupcakes or a drink.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue L
Dear Sue L,

Thank you for going out of your way to write this review of our hotel. You've really summed our hotel up nicely. Many people find that the services and location of our hotel are just right. With convenient transportation between New York City and Harmon Meadows, you get the best of both worlds - bright, dazzling city life and peaceful suburban tranquility. Even though we're only a few miles away from Manhattan, you might see deer and other wildlife nearby.

Our bakery cafe is open 24 hours a day, and we serve beer, wine and distilled spirits until midnight. Thank you again for your wonderful review, and we do hope you'll join us again for your next visit to the area.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Pretty much the same as all Hyatt Places. In a good location and great service. My room was clean and quiet and had a nice bed. Internet service was free and okay - about 1MB down and less than that up. My only issues were minor and nit-picky: I wish I could see the TV while working at the desk, and the lounge area downstairs seems a bit small. Overall I recommend it, though, and have stayed there multiple times.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ShadowTiger
Dear ShadowTiger,

Thank you for sharing this feedback about your stay. As a hotel designed with business travelers in mind, our complimentary wi-fi service is one of the most important parts of our guest experience. We have recently upgraded our wi-fi service and now offer on average a 2.1 Mbps download and 1.1 upload speed. This may fluctuate depending on how many guests are using the wi-fi service at a time. Some of our rooms have an Ethernet connection; please let us know that you'd prefer the highest Internet speed available and we'd be happy to check the availability of these rooms for you. We also have an e-room with two desk-top computers and a printer which you can use as much as you like.

We're glad that your experience here met the high expectations that guests have come to expect from the Hyatt family of brands. Hyatt Places all feature a Great Room and Cafe Seating area, both of which have comfy lounge-style seating. There is also the Guest Kitchen which is always open for our guests to use.

We have recently expanded our Guest Kitchen into an overflow area, giving even more space for our guests to use.

We often hear enthusiastic feedback about the 42" flat-screen HDTVs in our rooms. They are mounted on a swivel, to allow flexibility for viewing from the bed area or the Cozy Corner. This is the way our rooms have been designed. Many new Hyatt Place properties are being designed as we speak, and your input in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thank you again for taking time to share your feedback. Your referral is our biggest compliment.