“Perfect solution for daily escape to Manhattan!”

Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Secaucus
Stockholm, Sweden
“Perfect solution for daily escape to Manhattan!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The first impression going in Hyatt Place was actually good. Nothing fancy, but really nice and relaxed atmosphere. The receptionist greeting us was very polite and provided us with all necessary information direct (I guess many people choose that side of Hudson River as a more economic solution compared to hotels in Manhattan). We even got a page of paper with the bus timetable (bus 320 whose stop is like 50m from the hotel's rear entrance, buses go regularly - like every 6-8 minutes during rush our - and until quite late at night.

Being a couple we booked one room with one king bed. Entering our room we were pleasantly surprised to see that it looked more like a little studio apartment. There was a living room by the entrance with desk, sofa and a little pentry. Partly separated by a wall was the bedroom and then the bathroom as a continuation of the latter. Everything felt so spacious and even if we were not intending to spend much time at the hotel, we were very glad to come back to such a nice and relaxed environment after a day's activities in Manhattan. The room was supplied with iron, ironing board and hairdryer. The fact that we could not open any of the two windows facing the main street in front of the hotel did not affect us at all, as the A/C unit would refresh the air in the room within just half an hour. Most of the times we came back to the hotel and the unit was still on (I guess the cleaning staff doesn't mind letting it on during the whole day).

There was absolutely no problem sleeping, as we barely heard any other sounds from outside. Our room was at the opposite side from where the ice machine was situated on our floor, so we cannot tell if rooms situated closer to it had more noise.

The room was also equipped with a large, flat-screen TV and the channel variety was more than decent, at least to our eyes coming from Europe. No high expectations, we just wanted to watch something while cooling down during evenings.

The breakfast was quite ok. There was milk, yoghurt, juice and coffee (the latter being a bit watery though, but that is a matter of taste as well). Varying between days the hotel offered different pastries (scones or danish pastry or small donuts), then there was different sorts of cereal, fruit, pancakes or french toast, different kinds of small burgers. I think that one could even ask for eggs prepared in a certain way. Of course peanut butter, butter, jam and honey and different kinds of bread and bagels were also offered.

As far as our transportation to Manhattan is concerned - and as I mentioned before - the bus stops almost right outside the hotel's rear entrance. The ride takes at most 30-40 minutes depending on traffic, usually around 20min. The roundtrip ticket costs $7,90 and there is an automatic vending machine at the bus stop. Everything seemed perfectly arranged!!

Upon checking out we asked if we could store our luggage in order to be able to spend one last day in Manhattan and it didn't seem to be a problem! All in all we would definitely recommend Hyatt Place for those who are looking for a more economic solution for staying somewhere close to Manhattan in order to be able to visit daily.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aneman
HPS201, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
We are so happy that you found us to be a good stay for your vacation to NYC! We are very proud of our hotel and especially the fact that so many visitors truly enjoy it and come back! If you are back in our area again we hope that you will choose to stay with us. Best regards-Karen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had previously stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and again last week. Very pleased with it. I think I liked it better this time then last. Rooms were good both times but room 302 I stayed in last week was clean and looked like things had been replaced like sofa and carpet. Tub shiny and clean. Housekeeping was good. Can't comment on the included breakfast as I didn't eat but my husband didn't complain. My only complaint is the hot water for tea never being hot enough but thats common at most hotels I've stayed at. Proximity to Manhattan is fantastic if you don't want to pay the prices in the city. Bus right across the street. It runs frequently and as long as there is no traffic it is less than 15 minutes to the Port Authority which is a block or so to Times Square. We rarely waited more than 5 minutes for a bus both ways. Restaurants across the street from the hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We hope that you do stay with us again very soon! We have had a renovation this year to all of our Guest Rooms and we are very excited that everything is new! As you mentioned, the transportation going in and out of NYC can't be topped. All of this and the fact that we have at least 20 restaurants within walking distance makes us a great place to stay this side of the River. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review. Best regards-Karen
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Hyatt has the greatest receptionist named Evelyn. She got us in the room early in the morning and helped set up all of our transportation to and from the cruise ship terminal. She went above and beyond in our opinion. The hotel is clean and the staff was wonderful. This was our second stay and we will be back for sure. If you want a nice hotel close to the city this place is perfect.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank racerman14
HPS201, Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are glad that we are able to accomodate you and will pass the word on to Evelyn about what you shared. We truly are a great location for when visiting NYC. I am so glad you plan to return to stay with us and we truly look forward to it.
Best regards-Karen
Herent, Belgium
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We've stayed in 3 Hyatt Places during a 10 day Easter holiday and this was the only time the experience was less satisfactory. The first evening we arrived late and we got booked into a smaller room (415) right next to the elevator which was really really noisy resulting in me getting only an hour or two of sleep. We were moved to a better and larger room for the rest of the stay but still there is a lot of noise coming through the AC unit even if it is turned off.

The hotel breakfast is also slightly below average and lasts only until about 9.15am at which time everything is taken away very quickly, even the coffee so if you wake up late it is like racing against time.

The parking lot is next to the hotel and not in front which is a slight inconvenience but not too bad, Internet is really really slow to the point where it is barely usable everywhere in the hotel and the check-in experience in the hotel was downright slow: we arrived around midnight with no-one else arriving and still it took them 15 minutes to give us a room.

Would I stay here again? I am not sure even though I got a great deal through Priceline.

Room Tip: Do not pick rooms next to the elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
HPS201, Manager at Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
We are truly sorry that your stay was less than perfect and assure you that we do strive to make that our goal. If you are ever willing do give us another chance we would surely appreciate it. I sincerely guarantee that your feedback is appreciated and we will use it to improve where we fell short.
Karen
Assistant General Manager
Seattle
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I don't understand why most ratings for this hotel are so high. I checked in late and the only room they had left was next to the elevator on the third floor. The noise coming from the elevator and the street was too much to get any kind of good night sleep. What really bothered me was the bad smell in my room and I had no idea where it was coming from. The breakfast is also super basic and fast food type of quality. Why do they need to use foam and plastic for their plates and silverware? I rather pay for the breakfast and have decent dishware and food. After two nights of not being able to sleep and complaining after 1 pm that there is no way I can fall asleep with this noise, the hotel manager moved me to a different room on the 5th floor. The smell was gone and the room was better but there was still noise that I couldn't identify where it was from. I would never choose this hotel personally but had to stay here because my company booked the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lullabymoon
I am so sorry to hear about your experience here at Hyatt Place and wish we had the opportunity to talk while you were here. Our complimentary breakfast is served daily and it would be good to hear what your ideas might be to make it better. I was surprised to hear about the disposable utensils and will use that feedback to ensure we are supplying both at all times as it is our standard. We hope that if you are in the NYC area and looking for a outside of the city place to stay that you give us another try. Best regards, Karen
buffalo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in December 2013. Wanted to see NYC all decorated for Christmas. Was very beautiful. Some place that everyone should visit at least once! Had stayed at this hotel one time previously. Since then, the hotel stated that they had remodeled. Personally, I did not see much change. It is a great choice as far as convenience. The 320 bus picks you up in front of the hotel and you are in Manhattan within 20 minutes. The staff were all kind. The overall hotel was clean. The free continental breakfast was sufficient. Have definately had better at other hotels. The room is comfortable size. My only complaint is the same one that I had two years ago, the bathrooms! The sink area is outside the toilet/bath. Convenient for getting ready. However, the toilet/bath area is so small and very dark. One of the most unattractive bathrooms that I have ever been in. With all that said, would I stay here again? Yes, I would.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank loveisbliss
And we will look forward to you being here! We are glad you find our location a plus. I do have to agree with you regarding the bathroom area size but it does enable the bed/sitting area to be a bit larger. Come see us again soon.
Best regards, Karen
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here from March 24-29. We had two rooms and selected this hotel for space and price while visiting NYC! This is a wonderful hotel. It has been completely remodeled and we were told the remodel was completed the week before we arrived. They serve a great breakfast every morning. The bus stop was across the street and took about 20 min to get to NYC. You can purchase your bus ticket at the kiosk at the bus stop for bus 320 into NY. The bus makes a stop at a park and ride after you get on and ends at Port Authority where everyone gets off. Super easy! (If you are staying here you should fly into Newark. We flew into LaGuardia and though the hotel is only 15 miles away the cheapest choice is a taxi or private car service. It was $165. each way for 5 people.) The hotel was fantastic about answering every question we had about near by restaurants and transportation to various sights. The hotel is within walking distance to several restaurants, Wmart and Sam's. They also offer a shuttle that you can schedule ahead of time. Every single hotel staff member was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Everything is brand new from the remodel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank skd22
Thank you for your feedback. Our staff is always glad to help our visitors to get where they need to go and we are also very proud of our newly renovated Guest Suites. The ride from our hotel to the City is a quick one. Glad that everything worked out so well for you on your trip and let us know when you are coming back. We would love to have you.
Best regards, Karen