“Has the potential to be fabulous!”

Kincaid House Hotel
Ambleside, United Kingdom
“Has the potential to be fabulous!”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

My husband booked a last minute nights stay, as we had to attend a family funeral in Glasgow.
We arrived after 7pm after a long drive and were ready to relax and have some dinner.

We checked in, the girl was very nice and was covering the Bar and Reception. When we reached our room, we were disappointed in the general cleanliness of the room but most especially the bathroom. The tiles and grouting were covered
in black mould, the tumbler at the sink was dirty, with remnants of waxy lipstick and sticky fingers. The bath plug hole still had a grubby piece of plastic lying on top and they white (grey) net curtains had a dead squished insect in the fold.

The room itself was dusty, the beside cabinets and lamps especially so. The good news was that the bed linen was crisp and clean and the bed was well made.

We headed to the bar, ordered a couple of drinks then asked if there was any chance of another room. Unfortunately no other rooms were available. We had found it difficult to get a room in the area, so decided that we had to stay but we would go out for dinner. The bar person/receptionist said she would leave a note on the Managers desk, to let her know we were unhappy.

In the morning, we headed to breakfast after bring wakened by footsteps which seemed to be walking miles... The noise penetrated through the walls. We thought it was another guest but realised at breakfast, we were hearing the footsteps of the staff walking through the restaurant/ bar area to the kitchen. It sounded like someone was wearing tap shoes!

The breakfast buffet was poor, what appeared to be packet Danish and crossaints, poor quality fruit and small selection of cereals. The cooked breakfast was one of the worst I have had, cheap, fatty, greasy bacon and poached egg with an almost raw tomato. The whole plate was swimming with grease. I couldn't eat it.

Our breakfast order was taken by the Manageress, although she didn't introduce herself until we were leaving the breakfast room. She was dressed in casual clothes, wearing cowboy type boots. Very unprofessional appearance and not what I'd expect of someone working in a country house hotel.

As mentioned, the Manageress spoke to us as we were leaving, she seemed uninterested and seemed to have a knowledge and acceptance that the room was not up to standard. It was an easy fix and a sure sign that cleaning standards are not as you would expect. There was no apology offered or any solution as to how they could leave us feeling as though we were listened to and a valued guest.

This could be fabulous... For weddings, family get togetherness.... But it needs a lot of work and time invested.
Would I return.... Sadly, No!

Please listen, it's easy fixes, but it needs care, attention and management... Sadly lacking at the moment.
Good Luck!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scotlady101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and myself use the Kincaid as our local and I have never thought about doing a review. We have been going there for years and the place is great with both the food and standard of service being top notch. We tend to visit the bar on most occasions and the atmosphere is always good. If you are in Milton Of Campsie pay it a visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2013

On my first trip to Scotland, I stayed at Kincaid House for 2 days and it was really lovely. My room was very nice, the restaurant had great food, and the staff was very nice. It is a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I took my parents to the Kincaid House Hotel for a meal. We have been going to the Kincaid for a number of years for meals now as both my parents like eating in there restaurant. I have got to say its been the best meal that I have eating in a long time. I couldn't fault the food that we ordered from the starters ,main course's and finally the deserts. We all had steaks and to be honest they were cooked to perfection I couldn't fault the staff, food and the prices were great considering there was four adults eating out.

Room Tip: sleep quality is NA wouldn't let me change it
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanne M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary here and I can't say enough good things about our experience. Amie is a joy to work with (both in person and from afar as I organized from the US) and the staff on the day were incredibly helpful and welcoming. The food was both delicious and beautifully presented and the grounds and function rooms immaculate. Within easy reach of Glasgow, the setting still manages to feels private, aided by the secluded drive and spacious garden. It was very hard to find a location that would feel special and elegant without seeming pretentious and over-the-top. Kincaid House with its current team is that rare find.

Stayed July 2013
england
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Bedroom recently decorated and lovely comfy double bed. Tv a bit temperamental at times but I did not stay that much in the room. Bathroom nice size and clean except for the black mould around the bath.
Public rooms a bit shabby. One of the best breakfasts in the world and plenty of it. Nothing too much trouble for the friendly staff who are all a credit to the hotel.
Great situation along a tree lined and woody area with lovely garden near the hotel.
Well worth a visit and handy for Glasgow and area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We took over the rooms at this hotel when we got married here. All of our family and friends loved the rooms, the friendly service and the amazing food. This is an authentic family owned Scottish hotel. You will be welcomed and want to come back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Best Western Garfield House Hotel
The Coachman Hotel & Restaurant
The Westerwood Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Kincaid House Hotel? Share your experiences!