I stayed at the Drifting Sands Motel during a trip to LBI for a wedding. We chose this hotel as the rooms in the Oceanbreeze Building were priced right and, from the photos on the website, the rooms looked bright and inviting. When we arrived, we were less than thrilled. We were in a first floor corner room, which was dark and dated. There were some soiled sheets and towels, only one available electrical outlet in the room and the beds/pillows were not comfortable.
But more than any of that, what concerned me most was the security of the room. The motel's outdoor-entry rooms are accessed by actual keys, the door handle to our room was rickety and there was no deadbolt or deadbolt chain. The parking spots are numbered and assigned to match your room number (if you're room 7, your parking spot is 7), and the parking validation slips that you put in your car window also have your room number on them. Something about that just didn't sit well with me. Especially if we had stayed longer than one night and left our keys unattended in the room (I didn't notice a safe).
I will say that it was a nice touch to have a small refrigerator and table in the room. We didn't use either, but that would be nice to have if we had stayed longer. The staff was also friendly when we checked in and out.
As an overall review, I would probably rate this hotel as two-star (poor) in the grand scheme of hotel ratings, but being that we stayed in one of the efficiency rooms, I’m giving it a three-star rating (average), as it’s probably in line with similar efficiency options. If we were to come to LBI again, I would probably look for another hotel. The Oceanside/Oceanview rooms may be better but, based on this experience, I’d be hesitant to risk too much money on either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Drifting Sands boasts LBI's most convenient location in Ship Bottom, NJ. Our array of accommodations offers everything you need for a romantic weekend getaway or a family, fun-filled vacation. Comfort, friendly service, beach access, and stunning ocean views. make Drifting Sands the best value on Long Beach Island, NJ. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drifting Sands Oceanfront Hotel Ship Bottom
- Drifting Sands Hotel
- Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel Ship Bottom, NJ - Long Beach Island