“WONDERFUL!!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ship Bottom
New York, New York, United States
“WONDERFUL!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We returned to the Drifting Sands and once again was extremely happy with our accomodations. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was extremely helpful in making our mini-vacation enjoyable. It is quite evident that the owner "Pat" and his team are committed to serving their guests with the highest degree of respect and hospitality--there was even free bagels and coffee on Sunday morning!!!!

Go ahead - book a room - you will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!

4 Thank Catherine C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 11 September 2013

What more can I say about opening my eyes in the morning and seeing the ocean, in a clean comfortable room! I visited LBI this passed July with my family, this would be my first family vacation with my 9 month old son. The rooms were perfect! The size of the room was more than I imagined and perfect for our first vacation. Each morning I fed him on the balcony overlooking the beach. I also traveled with my extended family about 18 of us, including my sister and her 6 month old ( also there first vacation). We were all next to each other which was such a gift! To accommodate all of us coming from all different locations was a plus! Everything was close and the service was 5 stars! *****. We can't wait to go back and stay with our new friends at The Drifting Sands! Thank you for an AMAZING first family vacation! VC

3 Thank Vanessa C
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at the Drifting Sands Motel during a trip to LBI for a wedding. We chose this hotel as the rooms in the Oceanbreeze Building were priced right and, from the photos on the website, the rooms looked bright and inviting. When we arrived, we were less than thrilled. We were in a first floor corner room, which was dark and dated. There were some soiled sheets and towels, only one available electrical outlet in the room and the beds/pillows were not comfortable.

But more than any of that, what concerned me most was the security of the room. The motel's outdoor-entry rooms are accessed by actual keys, the door handle to our room was rickety and there was no deadbolt or deadbolt chain. The parking spots are numbered and assigned to match your room number (if you're room 7, your parking spot is 7), and the parking validation slips that you put in your car window also have your room number on them. Something about that just didn't sit well with me. Especially if we had stayed longer than one night and left our keys unattended in the room (I didn't notice a safe).

I will say that it was a nice touch to have a small refrigerator and table in the room. We didn't use either, but that would be nice to have if we had stayed longer. The staff was also friendly when we checked in and out.

As an overall review, I would probably rate this hotel as two-star (poor) in the grand scheme of hotel ratings, but being that we stayed in one of the efficiency rooms, I’m giving it a three-star rating (average), as it’s probably in line with similar efficiency options. If we were to come to LBI again, I would probably look for another hotel. The Oceanside/Oceanview rooms may be better but, based on this experience, I’d be hesitant to risk too much money on either.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Schmaubs
Trenton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We have stayed here many times and will stay here many more. Just now booking again for a stay in September. The place is more than a basic hotel with clean, well maintained rooms and a very helpful staff. The views from the oceanfront rooms are beautiful and yes, expensive, but there are off season rates that are very reasonable. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Roy L
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this motel for a weekend get away. The staff was superb and very helpful. They gave us excellect recommendations for dinner and they gave us plenty of places to pick from. The rooms are perfect for a weekend get away we stayed in the oceanfront buliding which had a beautiful balconies and great views of the ocean. We were actually able to sleep with the sliding door open and hear the ocean which was amazing. This was our first time on long beach island and we will definitely be back and staying at the Drifting Sands

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ariel S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE. One of the worst places I've ever stayed and incompetent staff/management. We were checked into the wrong room so that was the start of a bad experience. My gf and I had requested a king bed but were given a room with 2 queen beds, this despite the place not being full midweek.

We moved rooms and were put unknowingly above a room where 4 staff members actually live. We were awoken our 1st morning at 7:30am by excessive noise from this room. We spoke to them and management and were promised it would not happen again. But were yet again awoken by this early loud noise the 2nd morning. The management then blamed us for not asking to move rooms, even though they had said they'd take of this and did not offer to switch rooms anyway. The place was not full so why they put us in the worst room is beyond me. Allowing your guests some peace and quiet is sort of a basic level of service that this place has not mastered yet.

Lastly, we tried to discuss this experience but the management especially Pat was unhelpful and rude. The "owner" made no effort to make things right, so clearly has not heard that hospitality is about the guest. Bottom line, this place is the worst. It's old, it smells, its dirty, its loud, there's no customer service at all, they overcharge for crummy rooms $250 and up a night, and then have the gall to charge you $5 for a beach chair, which is then taken away from you at 3pm. The only plus is it's near the beach but I'd rather sleep in my car then spend one more night there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mes917
Yonkers
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our ever-growing family goes away every year (for the last several years) to a beach-oriented place that is within reasonable driving distance from Westchester, Putnam & Rockland Counties. We (17 of us this year), returned for the 2nd time to Drifting Sands on LBI for a 4-day stay this past July and to say all of us were dreading having to go home when it was all over, would be an understatement. We stayed in the Oceanside Building, which offered a perfect view of the ocean, with a nice balcony. We were fortunate enough to get rooms that were next door to each other, which was an added benefit. The beach was just downstairs and a quick walk down a path across from the motel...the rooms were immaculate and spacious. The beds were comfortable. The staff was responsive and hospitable. More importantly, the price was right. The motel offers attractive Specials that made it even more worthwhile. We never had to drive far to eat out or shop...and were close enough to walk to many places as well. Couldn't ask for more. I know I speak for my entire family when I say that we all had a wonderful time, we really loved staying here and we cannot wait to go back!...nc

3 Thank nc918
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!