“A Fantastic Motel...Will surely stay there again”

Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ship Bottom
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Drifitng Sands is located in an ideal spot.....just as you enter the Island and close to everything. Nothing is more than a 10-15 minute drive. It is one of the only motels on the Island that is actually ocean front... The other ocean front motels are much older and far less appealing. The oceanview room was very spacious, clean...all that one would expect for the rate paid. The Ocean front and Oceanview rooms are a bit pricey....but well worth it. The hotel offers free beach tags and has an attendant on the beach with lounge chairs and umbrellas (for a nominal fee). No need to carry anything to the beach but your towel....the attendant does it all... Parking is also great....an assigned spot for each room so no need to worry about looking for a spot! Overall a great place to stay on LBI....well situated..within walking distance to several good places for breakfast and a CVS. All in all, a great experience...highly recommended. I will stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SGM812

Reviewed 3 July 2008

Reading the other reviews, it doesn't sound as though I stayed at the same place! This is my second time staying at Drifting Sands, once in the off season (October) and this time in the on season (July). Both experiences were exceptional. Both stays we were in the Oceanfront building ... yes, it is expensive but it was sooo worth it. How can you beat lying in bed, looking at the Atlantic Ocean, or sitting on your own private balcony and watching the sun rise over the ocean? The room was spotless and sufficiently spacious and well equipped. If I wanted to nit pick I could complain that there was no iron and no full length mirror or Internet service ... but the pluses outweighed those minor negatives. There is an Internet cafe a few blocks away if you really feel the need to connect to something besides the ocean that's right outside your door. The motel location is also excellent. The 7-11 and CVS are less than 1 block away. WaWa is only 2-3 blocks away (great sandwiches) and there's a Mexican restaurant 1 block away. I will keep going back again and again. I hope that this remains LBI best kept secret!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJSueZ
Reviewed 1 July 2008

When it comes to traveling, I've been there, done that. I have traveled all over the world. The Jersey shore is a different kind of vacation, but if luxury is what you are looking for than look no further than The Drifting Sands in LBI. I have read all of the reviews that people have posted and can say this....the people who posted negative reviews cheaped out and purchased rooms in the old buildings that had not yet been updated...NOTE: As of May 2008 all the buildings have been completely renovated and are brand new!! But you get what you pay for...the ocean front building is expensive because these are rooms directly on the beach! They run about $300-$400 per night. If you are looking for a typical jersey shore motel than this is just not the place for you...this motel offers coffee, tea, bagels, muffins in the morning.....the maids clean the rooms daily..the surrounding property is immaculately clean...LBI's top restaurants and bars are just a short walk away, yet amazingly it is so quiet at night you can hear a pin drop..the motel offers chair and umbrella rentals for a very small fee. And the best part about this hotel is...it is a private beach!!!! This motel is perfect for a quick getaway or a week long family vacation down the shore. The staff are overly friendly and accomodating...It is also the only beach front property on the island. DO NOT BOOK ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE DRIFTING SANDS!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank sammiblueyes
Reviewed 15 June 2008

Just returned from a wedding at LBI and had an opportunity to see all the different rooms at this hotel. The drifting sands hotel is located right as you drive onto the island, so for convenience in getting on/off the island it’s great. There are 4 buildings that make up the complex, the front building facing the street and the side building where the office is located have both been updated recently. The rooms are very clean and neat, and some of the bigger suite rooms include a Jacuzzi tub. The views of the beach are also very nice.

The back building and side building across the street have not been updated yet. We stayed in a 2-room efficiency, in the back building. The room was very clean when we got there and was cleaned every day by house keeping. However, the room had not been updated and was showing its age. But for a quick weekend trip to the beach, it really wasn't that bad. I have stayed in a lot worse. I believe most of the rooms include a refrigerator; ours included an almost full size fridge with stovetop, plates, cups, pots and pans.

The hotel is located within walking distance to several restaurants, liquor store and is located right next to the CVS and 7/11. There is also a security guard that walks around the parking lot at night. If they update the rest of the rooms this year, the whole hotel would be very nice.

I would stay in this hotel again, but in a newer room.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HighFlyerNJ
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Here is the actual email I sent to the hotel after my stay, with no response at all from the hotel...I can now say that I should have listened to the negative comments listed on TripAdvisor.com. We stayed there on Saturdya night, September 22, 2007 and have never stayed in a worse room. As a matter of fact, I have stayed in MUCH better Motel 6's for $35.00 a night.

Lets start witht he musty, moldy smell in the room, that finally was found coming from the bedding. We brought pillows with us, and now they smell like it as well. Not to mention the stains on the sheets, and the bedspread. Next the overall appearance of the room. Holes in the walls, items that were removed from the walls, and no one bothered to paint the spots. Then comes the horrible noise coming form the shower. You advertised that there was a coffee maker in each room, there was none in ours, so we had to go to 7/11 to buy coffee, that was supposed to be free. Which that is not hard to believe since there were NO "homey" touches. No pictures on the walls, not even any curtains to help block light. We used one of the bedspreads over the front door, which was extremely hard to open. And finally the worst part, the people above us. They stomped back and forth across the ceiling until after 11:00 Saturday night, and then started again before 6:00 on Sunday morning. We tried to check out early on Sunday morning, but the office only openned at 8:00 am(!?!). The front office had closed at 10 or 11 pm. A full hotel with no one there. I have never heard of such a thing. I did not bother to call the "emergency" phone number, as none of these things were indeed emergencies, but made for a horrible stay. I did however mention something to the girl when we were checking out, and was told "I'll let them know". Not very good customer service.

Your motto is " the best kept secret...", and I now know why. It not because its a secret, it's because of the horrible conditions. I will NOT be back there, but will come back to the island.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mswench1227
Reviewed 10 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding after Labor Day Weekend. When we first arrived to check in we were very impressed with the building. It looked so new and it's so close to the beach. Then we discovered where our room was. It was the old building across the street. The room was extremely dark and tiny. The bathroom was really small and dirty. Wiring looked really dangerous and there were 4 electric cords plugged into one extension cord that was lying in between the two beds. No iron in my room so I was quite annoyed b/c I actually needed something ironed. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. We actually put a chair in front of our door when we went to sleep b/c we were on the ground floor and there is no deadbolt nor a chain. Just a button on the knob to push in to lock it.

Pros:
-refrigerator in room (actually worked too well, my bottle of water froze over night)
-location to beach

If you are going to stay at this motel make sure it's at the renovated building unless you don't mind the above mentioned (or you plan on living your old college spring break days and pack in 6 people). Not worth the money we spent.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yellowfad
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Our family stayed at the old part of the motel as it was cheaper and we've stayed there other years, before the new ocean-front buildings were built. (We stayed in a two-bed room) Maid service was great and it's in a perfect spot- it's a very short walk from the beach, and a 7-11 and CVS are literally right next door. There's also a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance. We stayed for basically the weekend, getting there mid-afternoon Friday and leaving early Sunday. The downside: the rooms are very small. As in can't-open-the-bathroom-door-and-entrance-door-at-the-same-time small. However this is the old part of the motel so I'm sure the new ones are a lot better. it has good lighting/decor, very clean, and a fridge so that was nice. And it's on an excellent location! I would highly recommend this motel for someone seeking a nice stay on Long Beach Island.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
#1 of 7 in Seaside Park
La Sammana Resort
La Sammana Resort
#1 of 4 in Brigantine

Been to Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel? Share your experiences!