“Oh My, this place seems to have fallen on bad times.............”

Red Carpet Inn & Suites Smithville
Ranked #2 of 2 Smithville B&B and Inns
Meriden, Connecticut
“Oh My, this place seems to have fallen on bad times.............”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

The place presnted well in the online photo, and the price seemed right, so it felt like a good place to bunk while visiting family in the area. The owners were welcoming, and the room seemed clean, so I was happy at first - for about 15 seconds.

Then I found that there was no place to put my suitcase and no desk. To my shock, the place was lit by a huge overhead flourescent fixture, ala cheap Wallmart. The ambiance was further enhanced by the lack of hangers or fixture cover over the 'vanity' area. The TV was just about impossible to work, and there were no directions for its operation; there wasn't even a phone book to read. Needless to say, I went to bed early, as there was nothing elso to do!

Morning brought its own problems: the lack of a coffee pot forced me to seek a place selling coffee in the area - but I was COMPLETELY unprepared for the black hole outside my door: every light had been extinguished for the night, and I almost killed myself groping to find my car in the dark. They had even turned off all the motel signs! (However, I couldn't blame them for not wanting anyone to know that they ran this dreadful motel, let alone have anyone find it.)

It's actually quite sad, as the owners seem nice enough. But their establishment would appear to be best classified as a relatively new American motel which is equipped and run to mediochre third world standards at best. Unless you yearn for a night in the most outlying place in rural Pakistan, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't go out in the dark: you may never find your room or vehicle again!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank CTBuzz
RedCarpetInnManager, Owner at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Smithville, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Gentle-person
I truly understand each of your words. I am extremely sorry from my heart. I am owner of the property another guy just manage the property for last couple of years but we already evicted and now we run our self. After we took charge from old management, we clean lots of mess still we trying to clean all mess day by day operation...we already put coffee maker, iron-iron board, change bed spread in each rooms and change outside lighting also change amenities like shower cap, lotion and facial tissue etc.....please feel free and call next time at 609-665-9446 and ask for Nick, I will take care just like family....

Atlantic City Red Carpet Inn Smithville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights. This place is newly renovated, about 3 years old. When i checked in September 28th, I was welcomed by friendly people. The staff is really nice. Then even called to make sure I was satisfied with the room I got within 10 mins. after I had checked in. They offer good ON THE GO breakfast. They have cereal, great coffee, and lots of snacks. The snacks got my kids happy! The rooms are very nice. They include a flat screen tv, and all comcast channells. The wifi is GREAT. Fast!The location is perfect, quiet and peicefull. Also, it has a major attraction near it, called The Smithville Village. Before i booked the resevation through expedia, therefore I didnt get to read theese reviews down below, honestly, its alot better then what people think. Many people have differnt opions, but I say, try staying here! Good Place Over Alll. Im coming to stay here again on December 19th for My Neices wedding.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Gentle-person
I truly understand each of your words. I am extremely sorry from my heart. I am owner of the property another guy just manage the property for last couple of years but we already evicted and we get back and run our self. After we took charge this people did lots of mess still we try to clean day by day operation...we already put coffee maker, iron-iron board, change bed spread, outside lighting also change amenities like shower cap, lotion and facial tissue etc.....please feel free and call next time at 609-665-9446 and ask for Nick, I will take care just like family....

Nashua, NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our room was clean but very basic: no closet nor hangers on the rack, no coffee pot (but you could get a cup in the office in the morning), no tub just shower, no place to set suitcase. Towels and toiletries provided were cheap. Paper thin walls - we were in a sort of duplex of rooms. Even so, you could tell that they were doing a good job at maintenance.

Nice microwave and refrigerator. THere was a table and chairs to sit at.

Managers were very friendly and helpful. Shops and restaurants nearby. If I need to go back to Smithville, I might stay there again just for the convenience of it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

for my anniversary with my girlfriend we travelled from philadelphia to smithville nj because she went there as a child. the two main bed and breakfasts in the town were full up and we booked a room here instead, called during the week and they gave me the price of $59/night. the tv didnt work - it kept frizting out every couple of seconds, i suspected bed bugs because i kept itching while trying to go to sleep, the people staying up stairs kept stomping on the floor, and they didnt have room service as they informed me they did. i mentioned the bed bugs in the morning, and they showed me a sheet with checkmarks on it denoting pest control visits, which didnt change the fact that i kept itching through the night. several days later, i checked my bank statement and i was billed 80 dollars for the night. when i called and asked, she kept explaining a 22 percent hotel tax, which didnt even compute mathematically and she said that the charge was 64 for that weekend. i told her it is illegal for her to charge more than 7 percent tax in new jersey and she went into hotel surcharges and city charges. this is not the city, nor is it near a city. even atlantic city would have vacancys on halloween, it isnt a popular tourist spot that weekend. they gave me a 10 dollar refund after i threatened to call the new jersey division of taxation. do not stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Atlantic City Red Carpet Inn Smithville

Travellers are raving about these Smithville hotels

Sea Girt, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

We reserved 12 rooms for our son's wedding. The new owners showed us several rooms before we recommended this motel to friends and family. All friends and family that had to stay overnioght for the wedding stayed here. They all stated that the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms all have flat screen tv, microwave and small refrig. The beds and towels were sufficient. We stayed friday and sat. night and there was coffee and continental breakfast. If you are looking for a good deal, clean room, friendly staff, and great location, stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Queens, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

We arrived at this motel after booking what we thought was a good deal in the Atlantic City area. The staff at the front was pretty nice, I will give them that.

We got to our room, and it smelled awful. There were flies buzzing around the room. The toiletries were so bad that the soap crumbled as I took it out of it's packaging.

We decided to inspect the bed. There were cigarette burns in our pillowcases. There was hair all over underneath the comforter. We decided to leave, or get another room.

As we were taking our stuff back out of the room, my husband spotted it. A huge bedbug on the back of the comforter. That was the last straw of course.

They were accomodating enough to not give us any trouble about refunding our money, and they did leave appologetic messages on our home machine. But still, when the proprietor came over to confirm that it was a bedbug, he blamed it on the people who stayed in the room before, not the condition of the hotel.

Of course now I'm paranoid like crazy about bedbugs, we had to carefully look over everything we were travelling with to make sure we didn't get a stow-away.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robotoid

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

i have never had such pleasing,helpful staff.Jenny and her husband were just Great. For a small inn it was very quite,great location for many intresting things to see or do. Jenny was very helpful that way also. They are people who like people....very special. I only all trips away from home was this type. Thank you Jenny and spouse.........truly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Atlantic City Red Carpet Inn Smithville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
BEST WESTERN Garden State Inn
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City
Relax Inn
Relax Inn
#10 of 18 in Galloway
Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Absecon (Atlantic City) Galloway

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites Smithville? Share your experiences!