“Beautiful Place with great staff”

The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville
Ranked #1 of 2 Smithville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The Colonial Inn at Smithville is a great place for a break from the crazy busy world. The Inn has so many great rooms and the village so many places to eat and shop. Thank you to the awesome staff for our great stay. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great Ours had a lake view but all are right in the Village.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stay at the Colonial Inn in Smithville every 2 months for days on end. It is my favorite place to vacation. Everyone at the Colonial Inn is so wonderful and make you feel like family. Tracy the Innkeeper, Emily, Patsy and all of the staff are wonderful people. I've stayed in practically every room and each one is decorated beautifully and very homey. The breakfast comes in a quaint country basket and is always fresh and delicious. The shoppes always offer something unique. The grounds are so spacious. I can spend days just walking around or just sitting in one of the many sitting areas and just people watch. The carousel and train are for young and not so young alike. I thoroughly enjoy each and every square inch of Historic Smithville and The Village Greene. I wouldn't ever consider staying anywhere but The Colonial Inn. It is my home away from home and I highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank CatMom9
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Nice place and area, but disappointing. We stayed in the Leeds room, one of the larger rooms. Though the room was nice, the housekeeping it terrible. The stains on the carpet were an instant turn off and the visible cobwebs made it seem the room had not been cleaned for awhile. After showering, I wiped the water from the shower door so it wouldn't puddle on the floor and was appalled by the black mildew that came off on the floor mat. Apparently, it had not been cleaned for awhile. While relaxing on the bed, we unfortunately discovered a toenail..... that was not ours!....gross! After spending the afternoon sightseeing, we came back to the room only to discover the table was all sticky and had never been cleaned, even though housekeeping had been there. We expected so much more based on the reviews, but our room was not clean and what could have been special touches were generic amenities. Continental breakfast and generic toiletries were nothing special; a real let down.

Room Tip: Ask when the room was last cleaned and whether bedspread was washed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 38avar
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Wonderful place for couples in the off season. The room was wonderful, cozy and relaxing. We had a fireplace in the livingroom and a very large bedroom with huge soaking tub. I will be going back next season!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurie G
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My company booked an overnight (too short) stay at the Colonial Inn. I arrived within minutes of the shops closing but had a chance to redeem a few freebies as being an overnight guest (soap & doggie treat). The village itself is very charming and great for the whole family. The room I was in was located within the "barn" and definitely matched the colonial theme. It was very spacious and clean and the wifi worked great. With the stay breakfast is included and I had a delicious croissant, coffee and juice which I ate while watching ducks swim in the pond before heading off to my workday. For those interested in visiting Atlantic City it was about a 25-30 minute drive. If I ever return to Smithville I'll be sure to bring my husband along to enjoy this town and bed and breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank espanasuenos
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We wanted to spend a couple of days playing golf in South Jersey but didn't want to be in Atlantic City. We booked the Colonial Inn through Travel Zoo and are glad we did. Our room was clean and comfy. The staff was more than helpful. There are lots of quaint shops around the Inn and you don't have to travel far to find plenty more to do. For us, there are plenty of good golf courses close by.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles S
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The village has a lot to offer in dining and shopping, all employees are friendly and welcoming, the grounds are kept well. However, regarding the Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville...having already paid in full to Living Social, and receiving confirmation of our room choice, and owing only taxes upon check-in as per the Inn's instructions (and I have all the paperwork confirming this) we still don't understand why they gave our room away (#203 with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker in the village) especially when there were a number of other available rooms to give to other guests. (Did they change their mind about offering the rooms with the added amenities to the Living Social voucher holders?) Tracy was gracious enough to escort us to other available rooms, but the alternate room we chose upon arrival (Great Bay Room 106) turned out to be less than satisfactory as the shower's faucet had been slowly dripping, long enough to cause mold and its familiar odor. Tracy must have also seen the water and smelled the mold when she showed us the room, but we thought it was just from the room needing to be occupied and aired out. Oddly, there was even water on the floor behind the toilet. Because it was after hours when we realized the room's odor was not improving, we had to go out to buy clorox and scrubber sponges and thoroughly clean, dry with the hair dryer, and air out the 4 x 8 stall before being able to use it the next morning! Besides our own noisy air conditioner, there was a constant hum from somewhere else. Not very relaxing, and not something we needed on top of not being given the room we paid for. This was also a special getaway for us in that we were celebrating long awaited, encouraging medical screening results. Just wanted the Inn and future customers to know that although we made the best of our getaway, the visit was not ideal as we hoped. I also agree that a heartier breakfast, perhaps via a voucher to a local restaurant, would be more suitable for this Bed and Breakfast.
Even after a feedback letter to the resort about the reservations error which we believe and which Living Social supports, was on the part of the Inn's reservations staff, we were not offered the courtesy of a discount for a future visit.

Room Tip: 203 was a beautifully appointed room with a semi-private deck over the pond, parking spot, handicap...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DebZu
colonialinnkeeper, Manager at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

It is true, your room was given to another guest, in error, and for this I am very sorry.

We had called you earlier in the week and left a message and attempted to call you again the day before arrival with no luck. At that point we made an assumption that was incorrect. There is no doubt that a mistake was made on our end. When you arrived I personally expressed to you my regret and offered you any room you would like from the remanding 19 rooms that were available. The rooms offered included our Johnson Suites that cost three times the amount you paid for your voucher. We together toured 3 rooms, at which time you picked the room that you would be spending the night in. The room you had originally booked was a Premier room, and I was offering you rooms 2 and 3 tiers above that realizing that the Colonial Inn was accountable. I greeted you each morning on your personal back deck and made myself readily available in the event you needed anything. I alerted my staff to what had happened so they too would be ultra sensitive to your needs. I truly wish that you would have spoken to anyone of us to let us know that you were displeased. Although I have never had such a problem or complaint about this room I would have certainly addressed any issues you felt was present. The room you stayed in is one of our most popular rooms and this is why I was not surprised, at all,when you selected the room after touring. Please know that if I had noticed any problem with the room as you suggested, I would have most certainly steered you towards one of our other 19 rooms.

Our intent is not to just get our guests into a room but to find a room that is just right for our guests.

Our guest here at the Colonial Inn are very important to us, we strive to maintain a flawless business were all of our customers know that their experience is our number one concern. It appears that in your case we have not been successful and for this we are truly sorry.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
Mariner Inn
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
#1 of 49 in Atlantic City
Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel
Hampton Inn Atlantic City/Absecon

Been to The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville? Share your experiences!