“Great getaway!”

The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville
Ranked #1 of 2 Smithville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Enjoyed a 2 night stay recently in The Barn and could not believe how lovely and quaint the building is. While The Colonial Inn seems to be a little more elegant, The Barn is just that. A large "barn" with indoor and outdoor rooms. If you are a country décor lover then this is the place for you to stay. Room was rustic, yet so cozy. Very clean with a modern bathroom. Also loved our breakfast which consisted of a choice of muffin (yummy), juice & coffee and yogurt. All served to us in wicker basket which you can take back to your room or just sit in the village and enjoy. The staff was very friendly (as is everyone in Smithville) and very accommodating. The village itself is just a wonderful place to shop and hang out. Can't say enough about our stay here and can't wait to return again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jam620
There are newer reviews for The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My daughter was married at Smithville Inn. We booked rooms for all our Family at the Colonial Inn and the Barn. Everything was perfect. We can't thank Tracy enough for the accommodations. The rooms were perfect and the service was excellent. It could not have been a nicer weekend. If you are planning a trip in this area, I would HIGHLY recommend Smithville Inn and stay at the Colonial Inn. Its like a step back in time and a village all by itself.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I went for my 49th birthday and had a blast! The staff treated me like a princess all three days and my room was excellent! Clean and neat and loved the ice tea! The staff even gave me a birthday gift of chocolate covered strawberries and a Inn mug! I was so elated! They all made me feel so special! Made my dinner reservations for me also which is so nice to have done! Shopping was excellent as always! Can not wait to return! Thank you all for such a great time!

Room Tip: I like to stay in the main building when I am alone! Feel safe and easy to get basket for breakfast...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Never again! The room was nice until my wife scalded herself in the shower. Temperature control apparently wasn't working. Turning to right for cold and it kept going to scalding hot water instead of stopping at cold. Valve was broken. Told manager upon checkout and she didn't seem all too concerned. Took notes, gave unenthusiastic apology, which came off as "have a nice day." I wasn't looking for her to kiss up to me, but a little concern about my wife's condition would have been nice. All I got was, "I'll look into it.". Not what you'd expect from a innkeeper.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jdegeorge
smithville, Owner at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

I am so sorry to hear that you felt that I was not sympathetic to you concerning the issue with the water. Upon check-out out, I asked how your stay was. The moment you indicated there was an issue, I left my desk, came around the counter, spoke with you one-on-one and spent some time listening to you describe your experience with the shower that morning. I did, indeed, grab a paper and pen to take notes because I was a little unsure of how your wife was able to scold herself with shower water. I wanted to be sure I could properly express to my staff what had occurred, which is why I documented the incident with a piece of paper and pen. I must admit, I used very few words when responding to you after you used the word lawyer various times and stated that this incident ruined your entire visit. I understand how this could affect your vacation, however, I felt there was very little I could do to turn your trip around and that my words would've angered you more. You were also surrounded by friends and family from the wedding that you attended the night prior. Everyone was hugging, chatting and expressing what a lovely time they had and I did not want to be in the way or over shadow your time with them.
I am sorry that my cautionary actions were misconstrued and caused you to feel undervalued. On the rare occasion that an incident occurs, I take said incident very seriously and I personally look into it. The health, safety and enjoyment of you, your wife or any guest here is always of the utmost importance to myself as well as my staff.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My mom and I enjoyed our stay and the two days of shopping. We were in the barn which was nice and quiet. The room was clean and very comfortable. My only change if coming again would be to book a room on "the porch" where there was a covered seating area outside the rooms. I would only have two complaints, and they were minor. One was the unfortunate placement of a light outside our room that could not blocked with the blinds and shown directly onto the pillow while trying to sleep. (we put the ironing board against the blinds to block it). The other would be the calling this a bed and "breakfast" because breakfast was just a muffin and coffee, your didn't get TWO muffins. Our choice because we passed on the juice and yogurt, but later went to breakfast every day at AJ's. The muffins were delicious though, and we loved the cookie break at 3 to 5 pm.

I read all the reviews after my purchase of this on Travelzoo. I laughed at the "brown grout" comment because I'm used to reviews of people that make places sound awful. But when we checked into our room sure enough there was mildew in the shower grout making it brown. I know the room was spotless and I actually cleaned a section of the brown mildew on the tile just because I'm weird and curious (I'm a landlord.) By the end of our stay it was back. I don't think this was the cleaning person's fault, more I think that the tile was not sealed properly when it was installed. Certainly not "black mold" as one review stated. My mother never even noticed it and I didn't say anything.

Back to the Village, a wonderful assortment of shopping, in historical rescued shops, I just loved it. It took the two days to see it all, along with riding the paddle boats, playing in the arcades, unfortunately, the train was not running. When it got to hot to walk around, we could take a break close by in the room. We ended up eating at AJ's and Fred & Ethel's TWICE because both were so good in both price and food taste.

I would highly recommend The Barn for a girl's long weekend away. Especially with the winery in walking distance! I would go back again. Hotel staff was very friendly, and I think every shop keeper greeted us nicely, and said good bye when we left. After a while it was contagious!

Room Tip: If you like to sit outside your room, even in a rain storm, book the porch rooms at The Barn, I thin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ninja650gurl
Reviewed 18 June 2014

About 12 miles North of Atlantic City is the colonial villiage of Old Smithville. The Smithville Inn is original from the 1700's, and many other vintage buildings have been moved here from other parts of New Jersey. Our stay was delightful, and the room was marvelous. Yes, some rooms are situated in old houses in the middle of the shopping village, where one must expect tourists to walk around outside and talk during the day, but that was half the fun. The rooms in the main lodge looked nice enough, but we chose the Johnson Suite (Room 202) which is removed from the main building.I would recommend this to anyone looking for a weekend getaway, especially if you want to disconnect from the stressors of daily life. Our room was surrounded by about 60 shops and restaurants, and we had a delightful meal at the old Inn. This is a great choice for people who just want to get away for a few days. I suspect we'll be back again.

Room Tip: Johnson Suites (201 and 202) are a great choice if you don't mind being in the middle of he shop...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CDBLeola
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife booked us a two night night stay trough 'Travel Zoo'. We have stayed at many B&Bs here and abroad. We only remember one of about 100 stays were we were severely disappointed besides our stay at the Colonial Inn.
I write this review with mixed feelings because all personnel, with only one exception was extremely nice, sweet and helpful.

We stayed Monday June 9th and Tuesday June 10th of 2014.
We were in room #107.

We found the building exterior and interior to be very nicely furnished in Early American motif.

Our first disappointment came when we turned on the lights in our bathroom. The bathroom had no exterior windows and its only lighting source was an extremely dim 3 bulb fixture over the sink. It appeared as if its light bulbs were 8 or 9 watts. I learned later that they were energy saving fluorescent bulbs, which took about 5 minutes to reach full brightness.

Our second disappointment came from sliding open the bath tub shower door. At first try, the dim lighting, as well as my decreased vision, made it impossible to ascertain whether or not the interior shower cavity was clean enough to meet our standards. However within about 3 to 4 more minutes, of waiting for the fluorescent bulbs, we were able to identify our third and 4th disappointments.
I'll preface disappointment number tree by saying: "There is never a ever a justifiable reason for having anything 'Brown' as part of your bathroom. Common sense for instance would tell you that towels or wash cloths with 'Brown' on them would likely be found disgusting by anyone. For the same reason, 'Brown' grouting is a very unfortunate choice on bathtub walls.
Disappointment number 4 stemmed from the fact that the 'Brown' caulking turned darker almost totally black as it blended into crevice between the top of the bathtub and its surrounding tile walls.
Being retired from home improvement back ground, I was immediately able to identify this black stuff as "Stachybotrys chartarum", which is the most toxic of toxic molds.
You might ask: "Did you tell the management?" The answer is "No", because it would have resulted in a severe domestic dispute. My wife is totally opposed to causing any public discourse.
I have tried to find someone from the management were I could talk to her alone, but the opportunity never presented itself. There were always 1 o 2 other employees or other guests around.
Our fifth disappointment came when we crossed the little wooden bridge into the adjoining area of Smithville stores. The lake can only be described as:
An extremely slimy, toxic green lagoon. There were large areas of green slime floating on the top. Places where you could see about 1 to 2 feet under the surface, revealed a very dense black slime. In discussing this with some of the shopkeepers there, I found out that an aeration system and fountains had kept the lake clean in years past, but all that equipment was turned off around the time the 2008 depression hit.

Disappointment number 6 was our mattres. It was just worn out. If you just tried to sit on the edge of the bed, halfway between the headboard and the footboard, you leaned at a 30 degree angle. It was not only difficult to get a descend nights sleep on this mattress, but the room air conditioner exacerbated the situation even more.

Before closing, I just want to say that the problems described are real, but the people seemed really nice. Sometimes business owners are not aware of problems because they don't get the feedback required to run business succesfully. It would have been a lot easier for me as well as for the management of the Colonial Inn if they had provided a facility for quiet, private feedback. A simple form on the counter soliciting feedback, would go a long way.

There are failing businesses everywhere. They often fail because the management is unaware of problems and sometimes just don't know how to fix them.

I hope Colonial Inn of Smithville survives and prospers but they have to fix their severe shortcomings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Wolf S
colonialinnkeeper, Owner at The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

I sat down to write this response at least 20 times. I don't know what to say...

I am honestly so sorry that your stay was well, according to your review, horrible. Our customers are important to us and when we welcome you to our Inn it's like we are welcoming you to our home. And, to think anyone found the conditions of our "home" this deplorable saddens us.

We do, indeed, use florescent bulbs in our rooms and the bulbs take about 32 seconds to reach full brightness. The Colonial Inn is always looking for ways to watch our footprint and to be kind to the environment. I am not sure what to say about the brown grout, it was certainly not intended to be offensive nor to hide impending mildew. We pride ourselves on providing a clean and friendly environment and can assure you we understand that "toxic mold" is not an option nor is it present in our Inn.

The lake does collect some algae and pollen during the spring; which can be unsightly for just a few weeks out of the year. However, the algae and pollen are not due to neglect of the lake. We properly treat the water and add one million gallons of fresh well water each month. Nature is not always pretty, but Historic Smithville is always considerate of the big picture. Thank you for your concern about the lake, but the many fish, turtles, geese, ducks and even snakes can tell you that this is a healthy lake that has many seasons and looks throughout the year.

The hardest part of being an Inn Keeper is knowing that you cannot please everyone. So many people find Smithville and the Colonial Inn to be a happy retreat full of fun memories. I am sorry that this was not the case for you and I hope that you will find a special place that fits your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
Holiday Inn Manahawkin / Long Beach Island
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
#1 of 49 in Atlantic City
Drifting Sands Oceanfront Motel

Been to The Colonial Inn at Historic Smithville? Share your experiences!