“Never Been Disappointed!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Somers Point
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Never Been Disappointed!”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My fiance and I have stayed at this hotel many times, usually off season. The rooms are a lot cheaper off season and its easy to get the bay view for a good price. the staff has always been pretty friendly to us. The hotel rooms need a little updating,but it is always clean. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, although I know in the summer its hard to get a room!

I think the breakfast could use some more choices, but that is minor compared to the overall picture which is good! :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristina S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I will be back, but for the 1st time in years, I am so disappointed. The loud construction work on the bay woke us up at 6am.....ants/crumbs in room....this room needed ALOT of maintenance work...the tables in the breakfast room were filthy and I had to clean them myself to use them. What disappointed me the most, was that management felt that all of my complaints were deserving of a $20 gift certificate for a future stay. I am a loyal customer and that felt insulting. The positives at this place are usually the pool, the little snack bar on the bay (which was closed), nice bayviews and the value. I didn't see any value in this trip. I hope that the management can get it together so that we can return again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My boyfriend and I were attending a memorial service (over the weekend of June 1st) for a friend of his who recently passed away. We decided to make the trip a mini vacay, so my boyfriend booked a room at the Pier 4 on the bay side. The room had 2 queen size beds, which was ok. My first impression was this was going to be ok. But then I noticed the carpets were dirty and sticky (I had to wear my flip flops the entire time I was in the room). I found this to be odd since the hotel had the entire winter season to get the carpets cleaned. The check in went pretty smoothly, but the check out did not. We are older than 50 and we have AAA and AARP memberships. Since my boyfriend booked the room, I wasn't aware that he had not advised them we have these memberships, which entitle a guest to an additional 10% discount. I mentioned this to the lady who was checking us out (her name was Dawn and she is the Front Desk Manager). Her response to my inquiry was less than professional indicating, with a very rough hand gesture, "It's up to you to inquire about the discounts. It's your discount and I'm not going to give it to you on check out." She made a remark to my boyfriend that "When you go to a super market they don't ask you if you have discount coupons." My boyfriend told her that every grocery store we frequent does indeed ask if we have coupons. They have a 4x6 sign that says something about asking for discounts, but it WAS NOT prominently displayed where we could see it when we checked in. As a matter of fact, when Dawn was being rude she showed us the little sign which she pulled from the far left side of the counter behind an arrangement of flowers. It should have been prominently displayed on the wall BEHIND the counter, not to the side wall behind a flower arrangement out of site. Our total bill for 3.5 days was almost $400.00. In my opinion, it wouldn't have financially hurt the hotel to give us the little 10% discount at check out because they had not charged anything at that point to our credit card. Bad professional posture and we will NOT BE STAYING THERE EVER AGAIN!!!! Incidentally, I read some of the other reviews about Pier 4 and I agree with some of the things. My hair is short so the hair dryer was ok, but it was only 1500 watts. The TV was outdated, but that's ok, but even though it was Comcast, there was no Info button to surf the stations. Also, as much as the hotel charges for a room they can afford to buy some fabric softener for their towels and sheets. They were stiff and rough. I could actually exfoliate my legs and body with the towels that were left for us. Even though they had a free continental breakfast, it's the little things that keep bringing people back. I don't need to stay there to eat at the Crab Trap or Crabby Jack's or to go to the liquor store. My first impression was good, but the last impression was not. Our only contact with the staff was with the front counter personnel so I can't comment on the service staff except to say that when they walked by us they said hello. If you want to have beach access, you need to stay in Ocean City. Somers Point has a little public beach, but it is not within walking distance from Pier 4 and you wouldn't want to get in the water at the hotel because a lot of boats dock there to go to Crabby Jacks. The pool was nice though.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda B
medford lakes
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Located on the water with excellent views of Ocean City across the bay. Sea breeze, comfy rooms and pleasant staff. Walk next door to the restaurant, wonderful food and entertainment. Next to that is Circle liquors, how convenient. 5 minute drive up Bay Ave to the Anchorage, more great food. What else can be said. Great late winter get away so close yet so far from home.

Room Tip: Bay side rooms with balcony are awesome
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wayne s
Philadelphia
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I stayed here two nights for my best friend's wedding because it was reasonably priced and my friend was running a shuttle to and from the wedding/reception location. It is NOT walking distance to the beach. It was $70 and for the shore, I say that's ok. The room was clean, had two double beds, a balcony, a mini fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker. There was also a continental breakfast that had fruit, pastries, cereal, and juice - all complementary. There was also a pool and a tiki bar which I didn't visit, but my husband said had a great view of the bay. It definitely needs to be updated as it's looking a bit tired. There's also a permanent musty smell in the halls and room which I'm sure comes from being so close to the water. It’s not mold, as I’m highly allergic and would have walked right out if it was. Ladies, bring your own hair dryer as the one in our room has very little juice and would have taken me an hour to actually dry my hair. The TV was a bit older as well and so the picture quality wasn't quite there. My husband and I didn't really sleep that well either night due to the old bed which clearly has seen better days. But again, for $70 at the shore, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: You will pay a higher price to get a room with a view. The difference is night and day. One is the p...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank slothlover
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I have been going to the Pier 4 for basically my entire life. I have always loved it and will continue to return each and every year. The only negatives I have come in contact with while staying there is that the hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. The hotel does need a TOTAL overhaul, but even a fresh coat of paint on the ceiling or new lamp shades would really help.

....But onto my biggest complaint, which I hope management reads : FIRE YOUR LIFEGUARDS. If you have children, watch your children closely. The first day we went to the pool, the lifeguard (who was middle-aged, balding, and had a mustache) sat by the pool LISTENING TO HIS IPOD AND READING A NEWSPAPER. It gets better...HE THEN CLIPPED HIS TOENAILS. THIS IS DISGRACEFUL. The next day was a new lifeguard (a young guy with shoulder-length hair and a beard) he decided that the pool wasn't worth watching so he sat at the bar AND HAD DINNER. I have no idea how such a fine establishment would allow this kind of behavior to occur. They must be fired.

Again, I love the Pier 4, but this is unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Whit22
Clayton, NJ
Reviewed 26 June 2011

The Pier 4 Hotel has much to offer. I and my family member had such an enjoyable time that I just had to share with others what they were missing. The entire hotel was very clean, each room had a balcony, and the bay front view is out of this world. I found all of the staff to be pleasant and knowledgable about the entire area. They offer a Smoking floor so we who smoke do not have to feel excommunicated like other places.We had a bay front room which was very convenient to the pool and the continental breakfast that was much better than most. I am pleased to say it was a welcoming Hotel for those of us with disablities. The bay was so inviting and it was also within walking distance to the Crab Trap Restaurant which is also 5 star dining pleasure. I always wanted to go to the Pier 4 and now my dream has come true and it is well worth it, as I had the best time. The prices are fair and well worth what view you get to see.I will be returning again gladly.

Room Tip: Bayside is much nicer than city side.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
#9 of 32 in Ocean City
Ocean Breeze Hotel
Ocean Breeze Hotel
#19 of 32 in Ocean City

Been to Pier 4 Hotel? Share your experiences!