“Our return visit”
Review of Passport Inn

Passport Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Somers Point
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Passport Inn at Somers Point several times in the past on the recommendation of family. Since our last visit the rooms and bathrooms have been updated, and the prices stayed basically the same. The pool was clean and warm, the AC and TV worked well, and the location can't be beat! The only glitches were that the Wifi was spotty, and the coffee maker in the office did not work after the first morning (there is a diner next door and a Wawa is a short walk- as well as coffee makers in the rooms). We stayed next to the infamous room 116 and found that part of the motel to be quiet, safe, and well lighted. The Passport is a great value compared to staying in Ocean City. (About $200.00 cheaper which more than covered gas and parking for our four days there!)

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank jduganh

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've been coming back here at the Passport Inn at Somers Point for 5 years now. I've seen major improvements and renovations over the years. I have always been very pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and its comfort level. I stay here 2 weeks out of the year. I make use of the mini fridge and stock it for the week with food and snacks. The pool is great, and the bedroom furniture is fine. Everything is basically new and the beds are very comfortable. Prices make it a Best Buy Value. close to Ocean City beaches, great restaurants, and not far from Atlantic City. Really, it is ideal!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rick6141
Reviewed 22 July 2014

PROS:

1. Clean and well-kept room. Excellent housekeeping.
2. Microwave and refrigerator/freezer.
3. The sink is outside of the bathroom – convenient for two people getting dressed in the morning.
4. Desk, chair, small table and chairs in room.
5. Free Wi-Fi in room, although, Wi-Fi was out during our second day.
6. Very nice and clean outdoor pool with two tables and ample lounge chairs.
7. Free parking outside your room (if you can get a spot). Parking is very tight. There is only enough room for one car per room if motel is full. If a guest has two cars, or if someone takes up two spaces, there is not enough parking (happened to us on the first night). We parked at the diner next door (not a big deal).
8. Several restaurants within walking distance: The Crab Trap, a top seafood restaurant, is across the street. You must cross four lanes of traffic – quickly. There is no cross-walk. The Pointe Diner is next door – great food and open 24 hours. And for a night cap, Circle Liquors, a huge liquor store is next to the Crab Trap.
9. Convenient to Ocean City. Motel is at the base of the 2.5 mile causeway which brings you right into Ocean City. The beach/boardwalk are approximately 4 miles from the motel.

CONS:

1. Owner is down to business. Do not expect the Disney greeting or a “Welcome to the Jersey Shore.” Hospitality is blatantly lacking. Our family of four were guests. There were four bath towels in the room. The girls wanted an extra towel for their hair. When I asked him for some extra towels, he stated that there are four people – I gave you four (didn’t get any more!) I then asked for some hand towels since there were none in the room. He replied that they don’t have hand towels!
2. Room is quite dark when blinds are closed. Poor lighting.
3. No safe in room.
4. Room seemed a little smaller than other comparable hotels I have stayed in.
5. Counter space around sink is only fair.
6. A sign in posted in the room stated that not all rooms receive all TV channels.
7. The bath towels are small and old – very course and non-absorbent.
8. As above, they do not provide hand-towels.
9. There are no tissues provided in the rooms.
10. The toilet paper is disgraceful. It is thin (transparent) and will quickly disintegrate you have any moisture in your hand.
11. The mini soap bars in the bathroom are the smallest, thinnest I have ever seen in a hotel/motel.
12. No clothes closet. Small clothing rack – not much room to hang clothes.
13. An obvious lack of hooks to hang clothes on. No hooks in sink area or in the shower area. None on the shower door.
14. The free breakfast is a joke. The “food” is in the small lobby where there is no seating. You grab the food and bring it back to your room. The food offered is: store bought mini muffins and Danish, and stale generic Lucky Charms and Raisin Bran. Beverages include milk, OJ, apple Juice and coffee.

Recommendation: Stay here only if you plan to spend the majority of your day away from the motel and just need a place to sleep, AND if the cost is lower than competing motels. There is a lot of potential here, but the owner has cut corners on amenities that would be inexpensive to provide. If you can overlook all the minor inconveniences and the price is right, it’s not a bad place to stay for a few nights. We would not stay here for a week however. If you choose to book a room, bring your own toilet paper, tissues and breakfast food (or walk to the diner).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Joseph G
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We booked this motel for a one-night stay based on the mostly-positive reviews here. I have to say, when we pulled into the parking lot my heart sank a bit. My husband was obviously having the same reservations, because he joked "Good thing this looks nothing at all like the motel in No Country for Old Men." Rest assured, however, that looks are deceiving. Once we were checked into our room we discovered that everything was just fine; it was more than fine, in fact.
This motel was exactly what we needed: a clean, safe, quiet place to spend a single night. I can really vouch for the cleanliness because we scooted one of the beds against the wall to make it safer for my son (he recently transitioned from a crib to a bed and we didn't want him to fall out). I was bracing myself for what we'd find under the bed, but it turns out we found...nothing! It was perfectly clean! The bathroom had also obviously been recently renovated and was spotless as well.
My husband forgot his toothbrush at home and, much to our surprise, the clerk had extras behind the front desk. I was impressed. My husband has a habit of forgetting his toothbrush, and we've stayed in much nicer hotels that didn't have freebies for forgetful travelers, so this was a nice and unexpected touch. And I wasn't expecting much from the included breakfast, but there was actually a good selection (again, better than some places where we have shelled out more money for a room). The other amenities were good, too. We were especially glad to have a mini fridge in the room to hold all of our boardwalk fudge. :-)
There were a few things that reminded me that I was in a very cheap motel room. The towels were thin and scratchy, and there were clothes pins attached to the window curtains so that you could hold them together to keep out the morning light (useful, I'll admit, but not exactly classy). The biggest issue is that the walls are very thin. Shortly after we walked into the room we heard the sound of a soda can being popped open in the room next door. We raised our eyebrows at that one, thinking we'd be in for a noisy night. Luckily, our next door neighbors were quiet and we didn't hear anything after that, but I imagine we would have had a different experience had we been next to a room of late night revelers.
Overall, if you book this hotel with reasonable expectations for what it is (a $100 a night in-season hotel room) you won't be disappointed. In fact, you might be impressed.
We visit relatives in Ocean City on a regular basis and can usually find a good deal at a more upscale hotel during the off-season, but I foresee the Passport Inn becoming our go-to for in-season travel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HotTamale11
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. The staff was very friendly. The room was VERY clean and modern. In the room there was a coffee pot, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, refrigerator, and microwave and a new flat screen TV. The motel was close to the shore and the prices didn't knock your socks off. Everything we wanted or needed we could walk to, the was a diner on the next parking lot for a really good breakfast, a liquor store within walking distance, actually 2, one behind us, which is actually and bar and grill, and one across the street for snacks and some beer (if you so desire), there was a great 5 star restaurant across the street, all this and a nice clean place to sleep. They also had a pool, which looked very nice, and the people in it seemed to be having fun, we went to the beach, which was only a short drive across the bridge. I would recommend this motel to everyone I know, it was perfect for what we wanted.

Room Tip: we had a room front and center of the motel and had no problem sleeping, rooms seem to be sound proo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 250Shirley611
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This outdoor style motel was about what we expected for $99/night during the summer season. It was clean, aside from a small candy wrapper under one bed. It had all the amenities they promised. There were a few disappointments but they were very minor. No clock in the room. Only half the outlets worked so it was hard to find a place to charge electronics. No freezer in the mini-fridge. The pool is small but clean enough. The staff was short and to the point in the conversation, but not rude or unfriendly. The in-room table was broken but we didn't need it anyway so no big deal. All in all for the price we paid, in-season, and the location I'd stay there again if we needed one night. The other recent reviews are accurate. If you don't expect fancy, just clean, basic rooms this place worked out fine for us.

Room Tip: Room 123 is on the end with two double beds so you only share one wall with another room but its als...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ecfinn
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice clean refurbished older style motel right over the bridge from ocean city nj. It's a great inexpensive place to stay especially if you're out at the beach and boardwalk for the day/evening. Clean room, good beds, and working wifi.

Stayed: June 2014
#3 of 31 in Ocean City
Econo Lodge Somers Point
Econo Lodge Somers Point
#4 of 7 in Somers Point

Been to Passport Inn? Share your experiences!