“Food OK, nothing great. Service good”
Review of The Crab Trap

The Crab Trap
Ranked #2 of 72 Restaurants in Somers Point
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Crab Trap The Finest Seafood Restaurant in Somers Point. In business for over 40+ Years! Family owned & Operated. Voted "Best Seafood Restaurant", "Gold 2009 Press Reader's Poll", Voted "Best Lobster Dinner", "Bronze 2009 Press Reader's Poll" in Somers Point.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We ate here, as many do, because it is the first restaurant where you can get a drink with dinner outside Ocean City, NJ. I was underwhelmed. First the service was great. Attentive, courteous, no complaints. However two of the three meals ordered by the group were not great. I had shrimp scampi - the shrimp was overcooked - chewy and rubber. The sauce was OK but not great. It really did not taste like a scampi sauce at all. My husband's crabcakes were also nothing special, although we may be spoiled by Maryland crabcakes, which we eat far more often and are substantially better. My friend's stuffed flounder, however, was very good. The prices were pretty standard for the area. I am not sure I would pick this restaurant to go to but I wouldn't refuse to go here if my companions wanted to.

1  Thank PRMeadows
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Long lines were actually a plus for us. We knew the food had to be good, so we ate at the bar. The service was great, and our dinners arrived in a timely fashion. Bring your appetite to the Crab Trap because the portions are large! Everything was cooked to perfection. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Met a dear friend while on a business trip to the area! The cosmos and chocolate martinis were mighty tasty! Had THE best lobster mac n cheese EVER!!!!!!! Also had a crab filled blooming onion! Friendly bartenders......the best was chillin' at the bar with one of my best girlfriends and dishin' the dirt! What a fun Tuesday evening!!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This is a very crowded restaurant. We went there early during the week before the summer season. We got the last spot in the parking lot. Then we sat on the benches outside. There are many benches. The bugs were attacking us. After a 40 minute wait, we were seated on the bar area. That was not really our preference, but we did not want to wait any longer. The waitress was not very nice or attentive. I guess she was new? She did not give us time to look at the menu. She kept coming over and finally told us that she had other tables. That was rude! She also made a comment about the side dishes that we ordered. She was once again rude! The main dish arrived while we were eating the appetizer. The food was good, but the experience was not!

1  Thank IrvW
Reviewed 22 May 2014

When I go to the shore, I usually prefer to have seafood for dinner. But it's difficult to find a really good seafood restaurant. I guess you expect to find a good one down the shore but that's not always the case.
The Crab Trap, however, is one of those really good seafood restaurants. I was there for the first time last year and was very impressed by the seafood. I love raw clams and this place has the best I have ever had.
You might think that raw clams are raw clams but many places have been serving the small little-neck clams and passing them off as clams on the 1/2 shell. This is just a rip-off for the price.
The Crab Trap's clams are large and VERY fresh. Again..the best!

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that the last time I ate there (5/2014), I was a little disappointed. I ordered the soft shell crabs, which are my favorite seafood, but didn't care for the meal.
They were sauteed and served over pasta with a garlic oil sauce. Now when it comes to garlic, you can't put enough in for me but this sauce was over powered with LEMON. It killed the entire meal. The crabs were drenched in it and you couldn't taste the crab, which is delicate in themselves.
The crabs should have been sauteed separatlety and then added on top of the pasta...not in it with that sauce.
I definitely will plan on going again and I still would get the soft shell crab dish BUT I would tell them to leave out the lemon.
This restaurant is definitely worth a visit.

Been to The Crab Trap? Share your experiences!