“Excellent Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Pennsylvania
“Excellent Hospitality”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

This is a terrific hotel in all aspects. Rooms are beautiful, the price is right and management is a delight to work with. My company had been using the Marriott Fairfield down the road, a filthy and poorly run place but the Staybridge is perfect.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank travelinman47
Michael_somerset260, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We greatly appreciate your business. Since we are an older property, providing clean rooms and exceptional customer service are something we take very seriously. We hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ohio
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We travel extensively so I have stayed in a lot of hotels/resorts. I really liked this place. The apartment style suites were awesome and convenient. The entire hotel area feels like a neighborhood block.
Our room was extremely clean and well maintained. The vanity area included a stool which was great for getting ready. The closet was very large also. The hotel even offers free meals at least 3 times a week. I would definitely stay here again and will be looking to stay in the Staybridge chain hotels in my future travels.
This room was about 45 minutes outside of NYC.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms would be more convenient as the the hotel does not have elevators. This made gett...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank whan
Michael_somerset260, Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you very much for the review of our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! Having the train station to NYC only 10 minutes from the hotel or as you said only about 45 minutes by car makes it a convenient location to reach NYC without having to stay in New York. Also, as you mentioned having the free dinner 3 nights a week and the free breakfast 7 days a week are something we are always happy to offer! Thank you again and we hope that you come stay with us again soon!
Palmetto, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2011

This property is so close to being not at all a bad place that we're going to give it another try. Here's the scoop on the week we spent there in September: Started out with frustration when the second room reservation was bollixed up during a phone conversation with A Guy At The Desk. We'd read about the floods so I called to switch Auntie's 2 bedroom reservation to one bedroom because there would be families needing that extra bedroom. Guy At The Desk repeated over and over 'Yeah, sure, it's the same confirmation number, same rate, everything, don't worry aboudit.' Did I worry? Yeah, sure. When we checked in a few days before Auntie, I discovered the rate had gone up $35 per night. Ouch. Gave the Desk Female the information and asked that the rate issue be taken care of. 'Yeah, sure. But I didn't make the booking so I don't know what you want me to do aboudit.' ----'Um, how about leaving a note for a Manager to give me a call?'---'Uh, I guess so.'
Let's talk about the staff. Male desk staff are as good as they get: sincere, personable, seem to like their job and know what their job is. Restaurant Ladies: a cheery bunch who are proud of keeping a clean, orderly area that serves decent food to cranky travelers. Did I mention anything about The Female At The Desk? Let me get an aspirin. I'll get back to you.
The rooms appear to be really clean and in good shape for an older property. Auntie's one bedroom upstairs had the recent makeover with granite-looking bath counter and complete tub area redo. Nice! The ceiling fan and 'display only' fireplace were homey touches. Our two bedroom was good until I decided to take a bath instead of a shower. AiYEEEEEEE! A solid black measuring-tape width band of mold paraded (I swear, it was sentient) from one end of the divided tub surround to the other. In both bathrooms. Looks like Housekeeping knows the odds of people taking showers instead of baths and divides it by the likelihood of bathers stopping to make a complaint.
Waiting for the Arachnid Report? Here it is. Two separate families of brown furry spiders in each bedroom, touring the curtains and the ceilings. We counted 15 babies in one room and 11 in another. The parents were taking a break from each other because there was one to each brood. We called for Maintenance to help corral the little buggers, thinking they'd bring a ladder, pith helmet, badminton racket. Nope. He brought a case of nerves and a piece of cardboard. Borrowed a coffee cup from our kitchen and trapped one of the parents inside to be released humanely later. And that was all the help that was available. The trees on the property are lovely so we dealt with it. Closed off one of the bedrooms and put my son on the sofa bed. That's what sons are for. (Full stop.)
And now to Electrocution. Yes, electrocution. On the first day I asked how to turn on the ice maker and was reminded to flip the little ice maker lever. So I did. Next day, no ice. But the kitchen counter and the kitchen floor was covered in water. Not damp, covered. Up to the metal strip where the living room carpet began. Flipped the ice maker lever up and called the desk to put in a work order.
Third day. Female At Desk says: 'I guess it's fixed. Nobody told me.' So I flip the lever. In three minutes water begins pouring from the back of the refrigerator, hits the wall, goes right toward the ELECTRICAL OUTLET, onto the counter, onto the floor.......Sheesh. Another call to the Desk. Huge sigh from Female At Desk. 'Okay. I'll tell someone.' I don't bother asking who.
(Day before we leave, after two more calls; it's fixed.)
And one more Dishonorable Mention of the Female At Desk: four days more of attempts to speak with a Manager or get some progress on Auntie's Elevated Room Rate. At check out, I tried again. Oh, dear. It's the Female. I ask if a Manager has had a chance to fix the problem.
Desk Female (DF): I don't know. Nobody told me.
Me: You know, I've been talking with you about this before and no one has gotten back to me.
DF: Well, if you had that much of a problem with it, why didja wait until now to say something?
Me: You are amazingly unhelpful. Go get a manager.
Manager: Hi. I'm Rey. I got this fixed for you. We just credited the overcharge back to your credit card.
Me: Thanks.

As I said, we're probably going back to this Staybridge Suites because they are usually great places. Everything was a bit chaotic because of the floods so I'll make allowances. But the mold; that took some dedicated cultivation. And the Desk Female? Well, they'll be hiring at the DMV again one of these years.

Room Tip: Avoid interior rooms close to the lobby: pool noise and basketball court hoopla. Unless, of course...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank BluntedHedgehog
We are sorry that your stay with us was not a pleasant one. I apologize for all the confusion involved with changing of the room type of your reservation and if you stay with us again I assure that we have address that issue so that you will no problem altering a reservation. I am also very sorry to hear about the issues you had with the room and we have made sure that everything is in working order. We have also address the issues with the cleanliness of the room to the housekeeping staff and made sure that there will be no issues in the future. We appreciate all of your valuable feedback and I hope that you will come back to stay with us so we can give you a better Staybridge experience!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2011

On Thursday and Friday evening we had to turn the heat on because the room was very cold. At about 12:30 am the fire alarm sounded in our room followed by an automated voice stating “fire please exit the room”, as soon as we opened the door the automated system turned off. We then checked the room to see if anything was burning, nothing was on fire and no smoke was present however we could smell electrical burning. I then turned the heat off because the smell was coming from the heater I called the front desk to tell them what had happened and asked for someone to come check the room. At this time the clerk said currently we do not have a maintenance worker on to come and look at the situation but he was able to check the grid (not sure what that meant at this time). To my knowledge I don’t believe anything was checked because the same clerk was working when we walked out the following morning and he did not say a word to us. On Sunday morning I spoke to the desk clerk and asked for a manager. The clerk stated that the manager would not be in until Monday. At this time the clerk did inform me that the hotel has two alarm systems, one was like a pre alarm that warned them of an issue and the second was for the entire hotel which would alert the fire department (which would explain the grid).
On Monday morning when we checked out I asked for the manager and again I was told that he/she was not in yet. I asked the clerk to please have the manager telephone me and I provided my contact information and I still have not received a call.
I find it in excusable for a guest to be treated the way we were treated during our stay

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay at this location, it is unsafe
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank martskashmir1
We apologize for the issues that you had during your stay. I have discussed with the engineering staff about this issue with the smoke detectors being set off by the heating system and they have addressed the issue. I have also discussed with the front desk staff about checking rooms when this happens. I am sorry that I or another manager was not there to hear your issues while you were staying with us. If you wish to contact the hotel directly and ask for me, I would be more than happy to discuss your stay. We hope that you will try our property again and thank you again for the feedback.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I set up my team here for the first couple of weeks in New Jersey for a project because it had a full kitchen and a 2 bed suite could sleep 3 with the sofabed. The corporate rate was $120/pn which is very affordable.

There's swimming pool which I only got to use 1 during my 3 week stay. The breakfast is good with (what seems to be standard) freshly cooked waffles, yohurt, bagels, bread, oatmeal, juice. The bonus is that 3 nights of the week there are light suppers offered - basically free dinner if you are ok with average pasta, Mexican or Chinese food. It's rotated so you don't get bored. But I had this a few times and was happy enough. Oh, and there's free domestic beer too!

The management is very helpful and Staybridge is really accomodating to it guests! The GM helped on a number of occasions beyond the call of duty. This is the only place that over delivers on service. And I think it's thanks to the GM...may be different in other locations. To say thanks to the staff I sent a box of See's candy from CA.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool and ball court if you prefer less noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Stevio_1
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We have stayed at Staybidge Suites in Texas and loved them. So when we needed to go to NJ for 5 days it seemed like the prefect hotel. The dishwasher didn't work, the burners on the stove were warped. Trash left in room from another guest. We will stay here again because we like the extra room but will check the kitchen to make sure it is right before we unpack.

Room Tip: check to make sure that the kitchen is in working order before you unpack
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Desiree D
I am sorry that you had issues with the appliances and cleanliness issues during your stay. We make every effort to check all appliances prior to your check in and we will make sure that if you stay with us again this issue will not happen. I have addressed the cleanliness issues with housekeeping to make sure that the room is perfect and to check all areas of the room to make sure that everything is perfect. We hope that you will stay with us again and we appreciate the valuable feedback. Thank you for your time!
Kolkata
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I stayed in this hotel for two days during April, 2011. The stay let me think as to why I selected to stay at this place. Breakfast was tasteless. Unfriendly staff. Recollecting one event, that my room card was not working and since my room was quite far from the reception, I called front desk for the help. No one turned up and I had to walk in the pouring rain to get the keys replaced. No room service and neither room cleaning.

Though the room charges are within budget range, but still not worth staying comparing the facility and support extended by other such hotels in the vicinity.

Stayed April 2011, travelled on business