Residence Inn by Marriott Somerset
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$112
US$171
US$109
US$131
Comfort Inn & Suites(Somerset)(Great Value!)
US$112
Hotels.com
Courtyard Somerset(Somerset)(Great Value!)
US$125
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmarriott brandclean hotelsseparate living and sleeping areacomplimentary snackshappy hour dinnerhome away from homefull kitchenmarriott familyindoor poolbedroom suitecomfortable bedsnice amenitiesquiet stayfront desk staffbreakfast arearutgers universitynew jersey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2008

I've stayed at the Residence Inn three times this year. It's quiet, clean, and comfortable. Although they offer a free breakfast I've never tried it. The front desk is responsive and polite. The free internet connectivity is good. After a couple of bad experiences with the second hand smoke at the local Homewood Suites, this is my hotel of choice in the Somerset/Princeton area.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I was only in this hotel for two nights.

I liked the secluded location, the internet was good, the checkin staff were good.

The dislikes are the room and the whole hotel had an electronic hotel. The front desk said it comes from the pumps in the pool area but I think it was the lighting and wiring. The sound insulation like all new residence inns was terrible.

The second night I was there I was getting used to the electronic hum and I quite liked it. However, if I have to go back to somerset I may try the Homewood Suites which is just down the road.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2008

My family and I stayed in this hotel on March 8-9 2008. It was cold and raining out so we figured we could get a room for the night and use the pool and just get out of the house. First off, the hotel looks very clean and modern on the outside. The loby includes a fireplace and a breakfast area they call "The Gatehouse". When we arrived at our room (227), we discovered that the card-key we were given didn't open the door. Me, my brother, and sister stayed up outside the room while my mom went down to the front desk to get a new key. When we finaly got in, we changed into our bathing suits to go to the pool.The room was nice. We booked a 1-bedroom suite with a sofa-bed. There were 2 T.V.s in the suite. We soon went down to the pool. The pool area has a big pool and a hot tub. When I wanted to go in the hot tub, the water was uncomfortably hot. I went over to the temp. control on the other wall. When I pushed the temp. down button, a loud beeping sound went off. I walked out to the front desk to notify the clerk. She told me--"I'll look into it". Half an hour later, nothing. When we were ready to go back up to the room, we played with it a little and it finaly turned off. We just relaxed in the room a little. Then we decided to drive into New Brunswick for some dinner. We got back about 2 hrours later. We visited the gym. It was smaller than our hotel room living area. We decided to then go to bed. There was a terrible windstorm that night. All night I heard debris hitting the side of the building. On top of that, the people in the room on top of us were partying at 1 in the morning. It wasn't just walking, it was POUNDING. My mom called the front desk and got nothing. She then went up to the room and asked them to quiet down. She then called the front desk again and the clerk gave us the room for free. The next morning, a maid knocked on the door at 9 a.m., asking us when we were checking out. We told her later. We missed the free breakfast but we managed to get cereal, which was fine. After visiting the pool one last time, we left. It was an overall so-so experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Powells8
Reviewed 13 July 2007

I stayed at the Residence Inn Somerset for several weeks and found it to be a good place to stay. As with all Residence Inns, the rooms are spacious and have a kitchen, which is great for people staying more than a few nights who don't want to eat out every night.

At this hotel, the studio suites are as large as the 1 bedroom suites, with the only difference being that there is no wall separating the bedroom from the living room, and that there is 1 TV instead of two. So if you're looking to save money, a studio can be a good choice.

I found the staff to be mostly helpful. I had two maintenance requests while I was staying and both were taken care of promptly. The front desk staff I dealt with were also nice. The indoor pool and spa were also nice, and relatively unusual for an extended stay hotel.

There were a few negatives though. I found the housekeeping very uneven. Some days they would take out the trash, other days they wouldn't, they only changed the kitchen towels occasionally (and not on a schedule), etc. Worst of all, one time they stripped the bed and took the sheets and pillowcases out of the room but didn't return with new sheets until 8 hours later -- after I had called twice. They were apologetic, but I shouldn't have had to call multiple times just to have linens on my bed.

I didn't really care about the free breakfast and nightly hors d'oeuvres when choosing the Residence Inn, but if it matters to you they were so-so. Some days the hot breakfast items were cold and other days they ran out of several items quickly, but it was at least nice to be able to grab a yogurt and some granola for free.

I did note that the prices at the little convenience store/vending area were outrageous -- $4 for a bag of chips. But if you can wait a bit, the hotel will purchase groceries from a local supermarket at whatever the supermarket prices are and deliver them to your room.

Overall my experience at the Residence Inn was good, but considering the large number of extended stay hotels in the area and the good but not excellent service I wouldn't pay extra to stay at the Residence Inn.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank WandererNY
Reviewed 28 June 2007

So I am staying/stayed at this hotel for 3 months. Well over 3 months. I am still there currently, but I had to write a review. I have been very picky asking for them to hook special things up to my tv and get stuff in my room. They are bending over backwards to get it done. Also, there is an indoor pool which is nice. It only goes to 5ft though, but its a nice way to relax. The gym is not bad and breakfast is nice. There are some front desk people that are a little rude, but that is normally the late at night ones.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business