“Ameneties? Check! Horrible Smell? Check+!”

Homewood Suites Somerset
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I am writing this review from the comfort of my King Size bed. I normally start my review from the checkout process, and write it once I have arrived home but I felt compelled to put my thoughts down while they are still fresh. Horrible smell you ask? I thought having a kitchen in every suite is an excellent benefit, and to me it was because I was able to pop my pop-corn and keep my soda chilled. However, there were some guests at the other end of my floor who apparently were holding a 24 hour cook fest of every ethnic (read:stinky) food known to man. I am not sure if it is a ventilation problem but the entire floor, and every inch of my suite reeked of the meals they were constantly cooking. I am no stranger to new and exotic foods, but they were either cooking fried skunk, or sautéing fungal nail clippings. Now obviously, its not fair to rate the hotel based on what a guest was doing, but keep this in mind when choosing a hotel. People will cook full meals, and whatever they are cooking will smell up the entire floor for hours.

I thought I could get away from it for a while by heading to the fitness center. It's tiny, which is fine. Two treadmills, an elliptical and some free weights are all I need when on the road. I was grateful to have the entire room to myself, since I could take command of the TV remote while I ran on the treadmill. Sadly, the remote was not working so I had to manually switch through the 6 available channels, which is strange since the rooms have 20+ channels. Being Mr. safety, I went to grab the safety clip for the treadmil, which will turn itself off should I fall. Alas, it suffers the same fate as the remote control, and is not working. Fine fine, I will be courageous and run without it. Surely my three mile run will go quickly enough and then I can down a nice cup of water from the Poland Spring cooler in the bottle. Shame Shame.. the cooler was completely empty. Argh, I am sweaty, let me grab one of the three available towels and then attempt to use some antibacterial gel.... another empty vessel.

Breakfast this morning was quite good. Nothing taste better than free, and free cereal, eggs, pastries and bread works for me. The food tasted great and the staff were very friendly. They tried really hard to dress up the institutional eggs with some kind of green leafy spice, but I say, leave that out next time!

I discovered a great feature in my room. The lock to the door is perpetually unlocked. Therefore, if you leave your room and forget your key card, no sweat, the door opens right up! True, it is a major security breach and I could be robbed of all my earthly possessions, but at least my neighbors fried skunk will be safe.

Oh I almost forget to mention the great pool and jacuzzi. It is in great shape and fun to swim in, although this morning I had to let the manager know that the jacuzzi was overflowing and flooding the entire pool deck.

There is more to say, but I am really enjoying this comfortable king size bed, and at the end of the day, that is really the most important part of a hotel room. Well, having two flat screen TV's is nice, I'll admit it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
HotelManager72, General Manager at Homewood Suites Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenient smells you encountered during your stay. We will look into this issue and see if there is some way we can help minimize the problem in the future so our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I’m also sorry to hear about the issues you encountered in our fitness center and with your door lock. I will address these issues with our staff immediately and ensure that they are taken care of properly. If your travels bring you back to the area, I hope you will consider staying with us again. I’m certain your next visit will be much more pleasant.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was a very good stay in New Jersey. I guess on the weekends it is better to get a room because it is cheaper in this city. So the normally $160.00 room, we got for around $105 with taxes included. The hotel was nice. It was like a mini apartment. All of the rooms are suites, but I think they have studio suites, and suites with different rooms in them. We stayed in a studio suite which was nice. We got one room, and had to switch to a different room because we did find nasty hairs in the mattress, and on the sheets. The lady working on the night shift was nice and called to make sure our room was okay. The second one was. I also liked that the shampoos they give you, and soaps are neutrogena and not the cheap stuff a lot of hotels offer. The beds were extremely comfortable, and were spacious. It wasn't a king room, and instead had a queen mattress which turned out to an extra 10.00 if we wanted a king bed. So the beds were a little smaller, but an upgrade is available for an extra fee. Then there was an excercise room there with really nice equipment. It had two treadmills, and some free weights, and another eliptical. The television didn't have many channels on it though. Also the rooms advertise that they offer paperview movies, but in our room we couldn't access it. They said they would give us a new room if we wanted one, but we didn't want to move. They promised they would have it fixed the following day, and when I got done working out they didn't have it fixed yet so the front door guy gave us some free stuff from the 24 hour store. They also let us swim in the pool and hot tub past 10pm which is the normal time it closes. The toilet did break and nobody came to fix it.

They have a business center which was opened 24 hours.

The following day though they gave us a late check out, and a wake up call at 1230, the girl at the front desk still called and said, "You know check out is at 12pm" and I told her we got a late check out and then she said that it was based on approval, and if she wanted to charge an extra fee she could. But she said she wasn't going too. I got the feeling she had an over inflated ego, as a hotel clerk. To make matters worse although I had paid on a debit card the second day, they said my debit card had been declined. I only owed 2.00 so I knew that something was wrong. When I looked at the bill she had put an extra 50.00 charge on my bill, and I called and told her that something was wrong. She said well next time you need to be aware the rooms go up on the weekdays. Well for as long as I can recall Sunday is a weekend day not a weekday. She did adjust the bill, but still I didn't like her attitude, and I wasn't happy that she tried to charge me an extra 50.00, and had I put money on my card she would have charged the card and I may not have been made aware of it. So at this hotel I would most definitely watch my bill to be sure nobody was putting an extra dollar amount on it. Also there was a lot of kids at the hotel running up and down the hotel halls. The hotel is a pet friendly hotel w an extra fee attached to it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from all the boistorous kids running up and down the halls.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank briella01
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Overall, the room was nice and the staff was attentive. They called me in the room soonafter checkin to make sure everything was ok with the room.

I was in a non-smoking room on the 4th floor near some smoking rooms. So walking down the hall was walking through a haze of cigarette smoke with a nasty smell. And the same smell was noticeable in the living room, too.
Given this and the fact that that its located 25 miles from my work location, I won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011
HotelManager72, Manager at Homewood Suites Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not happy with your room assignment. We strive to make sure all guests receive the room they are expecting. Please try our Suite Selection tool the next time you stay with Homewood Suites to reserve exactly the suite you want. It can even help you select a room that is further from our smoking rooms. Once again, I apologize we were not able to accommodate your room choice on this trip.

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stay here while visiting the area for my daughter's sports events. Rooms are spacious and clean and the full kitchen is helpful. Great location - close to everything. Friendly staff. Only negative is inconsistent housekeeping on the weekends. We leave so early that we've never taken advantage of breakfast, but it's nice to have.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor to avoid noise from above.
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Very clean hotel. Breakfast was fantastic! We had to leave earlier than breakfast started the first morning and they actually put out bagels and cold cereal for our entire softball team at 6am. Couldn't ask for more. Class act-would highly recommend!!~~

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank suziwoo
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We have stayed at this Homewood many times in the past and everything is usally quite nice. The same cannot be said for our most recent stay. We were there for Father's Day weekend visiting with family. The hotel is still pretty clean and well kept, but the beds in the room have seen their best days. There wasn't anything remotely comfortable about our sleep over that weekend.
While there, I had an unfortunate slip and fall in the pool area, hurt my ankle and knee and was taken by ambulance to St. Peter's hospital. I waited for a half hour, lying on the wet floor, before the hotel staff called for the paramedics. My husband was told that they had just switched to a new insurance company and the insurance info would be waiting in our room when we returned from the hospital. It wasn't. We have called the hotel to speak to the General Manager, Danielle Hunter, and left voice mail messages on at least 5 occasions and have yet to receive a return call. It's a shame this hotel has come to this and even more unfortunate that the Hilton name is being trashed in this way. It's the closest hotel to our family, but we can travel another block and find many others. We will never stay at this Homewood Suites again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
HotelManager72, General Manager at Homewood Suites Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

I hope you will accept our sincere apologies if you feel you were not treated with the utmost respect during your recent stay. Our staff goes through intense training to ensure our guests not only have a hospitable stay but they are also trained to treat emergency matters very seriously. That being said, it is a hotel policy that all insurance matters are handled directly by our claims adjuster so that every is assured an efficient and professional claim. I do apologize for any frustrations and will work with all on-property and supporting hotel staff to make sure situations like yours are not repeated. We hope you reconsider Homewood Suites Somerset as we do value you as a customer and once frequented guest.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We purchased a room online that had a queen bed and a foldout full sofa. The room was beautiful, with a great bathroom, kitchen, and TV. The only problem was the pullout sofa. The A/C vent blew air right on the sofa making it impossible for anyone to sleep there. If we turned off the A/C, we sweated and the room smelled faintly of smoke. If we left the A/C on, whoever was on the couch froze. My thirteen year old daughter ended up.crawling into the queen bed with us. The pool area was really nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center
Residence Inn Somerset
Residence Inn Somerset
#5 of 16 in Somerset
Embassy Suites by Hilton Piscataway - Somerset

Been to Homewood Suites Somerset? Share your experiences!