“Best low-priced motel near Rutgers, New Brunswick.”

Econo Lodge Somerset
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Reviewed 17 March 2014

For some reason, most of the other low-priced motels around New Brunswick will use bait-and-switch pricing, or charge extra for internet access, except this one.

Econo Lodge in Somerset really is a surprisingly good motel for its price (and they honor the AAA discount). The staff goes out of its way to be helpful.

During my four-day stay in 2014, I came back to the room around 12am, and my room key wasn't working. They simply created a new room key and a spare, and told me to throw the old key away. I never had a problem with the key again.

Some of the heaters and bathroom appliances in the back rooms are old, but it's clear good management is taking an old motel and trying to improve it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

On behalf of my entire team at the econolodge hotel i would like to thank you for your positive response .Hoping you continue to stay with us in the future. Very truly yours Steve P.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was visiting my son who goes to college in the area. After going out for a nice dinner we experienced a flat tire that caused a lot of stress on me and my wife. After being stuck in the cold for close to an hour we were very lucky to find the Econo Lodge hotel. The perfect place to stay overnight after some tough luck earlier in the day. Great service, rooms were very clean. Very happy and would definably stay again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DarlingEngle
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

We would like to thank your for your positive response.We will share your comments with our staff.Very truly yours Steven .P

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I was at the motorcycle show this past weekend at the Garden State Exhibit Center, and stayed at the Econo Lodge for the first time. Everything was great! Rooms were clean, customer service was great and overall I was extremely satisfied.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

On behalf of my staff i would like to thank you for you positive reponse .We at econolodge strive to give the highest standards .thanking you Steven.P

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Somerset New Jersey. I had a wonderful experience. The maids are very helpful and keep the rooms very clean. The front desk is vey friendly. I reccommend for everyone who is looking for a Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
steven p, Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

We would like to thank you for your comments. Me and my staff appreciate your positve response .Hopeing you continue to stay with us when your in town. Thank you. Steven.P

Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I visited this EconoLodge on a trip to visit family. We were at this hotel for about a week. The hotel is extremely dated with worn carpeting, furniture, bedding and so on. The room was cleaner than the common areas but not by much. There was a breakfast but we didn’t try it so I cannot comment on that. We also didn’t use the pool area.

My biggest issue with this hotel is their billing and poor customer service. When we checked in, our card was charged the amount of our stay. Although this is an Econo Lodge, the charges are for a Quality Inn. At some point the charges were reversed or the hold was released but the funds were not recharged to the card. This went un-noticed by my wife and I until 5 months later when the full amount was withdrawn from our account without notice.

This caused many issues for us with other bills not being clear due to the charges. I contacted the hotel to see what happened and was told by the manager that it wasn’t the hotel that did it and to check with my bank. I called the bank and was informed that the charges were in fact withdrawn by the hotel. I called the manager of the hotel back and explained to him what the bank told me. His response was basically “sorry but I guess that can happen”. When I explained my frustration and that we would not be staying at that location again, his response was “well I told you I was sorry but that wasn’t good enough for you so I guess if that’s how you feel, so be it.”.

I absolutely wasn’t looking for something for nothing but after 5 months has passed, you should at least get a phone call to discuss payment.

Even if you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay, I would really recommend staying at another location in town. This hotel really is "you get what you pay for" quality.

Room Tip: loud banquet room in front of hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We would like to thank you for your response.We are sorry for the problem you had with billing.We are taking this up with that department to make sure this does not happen again thanking you in advance .Steve.P

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We checked in around 7 pm and the young gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and informative of the area. Room was very clean and quiet. Excellent value for the money. Will be staying there again next week as I travel through the area again. Breakfast was good. We plan the utilize the pool next visit. Very large pool and fitness area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
steven p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Somerset, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

On behalf of my staff thank you for your positive response.We look forward to you staying with us again thank you steve.p

Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was driving through Somerset, NJ on business and decided to check out the Econo Lode Hotel. Although, I only stayed for one night (and used the coupon rate)… the service was incredible. Rooms were very clean, management was very helpful, and the the stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

We would like to thank you for staying with us and for the positive response thank you steve.p