“Don't trust the buffet” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
Brooklyn, United States
“Don't trust the buffet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

With the Food and Beverage, the lunch buffet was horribly understaffed. We were addressed by 4 different waiters who did not know if we were being helped.I noticed a few people who were obviously not waiters, put down their trays to help customers who were confused while the manager stared. The manager was quick to tell us that she would remove the waiter's tip, but I felt that this was a failure on her part to not understand the need during lunch rush. Worse, to me, was the fact that she stood around and watched her employees flounder. The food was not covered nor watched, and I noticed flies around the cookies. It is but a dollar to invest in mesh food covers so I don't feel paranoid that I am eating housefly babies.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubleTree by H... S, Guest Service Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Somerset Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. We appreciate hearing from our guests and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your time with us. We will keep your comments in mind as we continue to work to improve our on-property experience. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you return soon.

Luis Suarez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Somerset, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My stay at this hotel was over the span of three nights. The hotel it self did not have the ac on, so the trip to our floor was overbearingly hot, even the room was a bit uncomfortable the ac being set at 65 degrees Ferinheight, I had to keep it at a steady 60 degrees to feel any relief for the 87 degrees heat we had. Overall I like the cleanliness of the hotel room and the bathroom was nice, bit small for my tastes. You had to completely close the bathroom door to fit properly in there.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I’m so sorry you experienced some issues with your air conditioning unit during your stay. Our maintenance staff works diligently to keep them in excellent condition and we are sorry to hear you didn't experience that. Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area. We’d love to make your stay with us the best hotel experience you've ever had.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is the third hotel in this area in which I've stayed and I've found the Doubletree Somerset to be the best hotel value in this area. Hotel lobby is spacious for large groups. We had a small meeting here and the meeting set up was very professionally done with everything we needed. Front desk team was welcoming and helpful. I received a cookie upon check-in and water also. I did need to ask check-in staff about the breakfast promotion because I did not receive my coupons. Restaurant and bar staff were quick and friendly. The breakfast buffet had a large and well-stocked, and replenished selection of hot items, fresh fruit, juices, pastries, yogurt. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our property! So glad you were able to experience our authentic DoubleTree hospitality. I will make sure to share your comments with our management team We look forward to seeing you soon.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

For business travelers who spend a lot of time on the road and in hotels, it is the small things that make the experience. One of those being the cookie that doubletree gives you at check-in, as simple as it may seem, I missed my cookie. I also missed my Hilton Honors complimentary bottles of water. What else was missing? Customer service, in general. I realize that NJ is known for its rude people, especially in the eyes of a southerner, but there is a base level of courtesy and customer service that all employees of the Hilton chain of hotels should have anywhere. But again, it was missing. I was checked in while computers were down and the manager on duty actually raised his voice at me. Unforgiveable.

When it comes to the hotel itself, the grounds, the lobby, and the restaurant are all very good. In-line with a proper business hotel in corporate park. The guest rooms on the other hand, are quite a disappointment, and badly in need of remodeling. As pictures from previous reviews show, there are a great many things in disrepair and falling apart. My room had an issue with the A/C unit which did not cool the room whatsoever. I will not be back to this hotel. There are several other hotels in the area that I will try when I am back in this part of New Jersey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Lutherville, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

As far as cleanliness, price, and room I would say this hotel was above average. When it came to service, however, this hotel was by far the worst I've ever stayed at. Much to my dismay, I had to be served at the front desk 3 times during my stay by the dreadfully rude "Alana." The first time was check-in. I received no smile, eye contact, or "how are you?" I was given ONE key card (please note there were four adults in the room) and told that they ran out of cards and would email me in the morning if they had more (no such email ever came). The second time was the next day. By accident, I locked my wallet in the room containing both my ID and the ONE key card forcing me to go back to the front desk. Once I had explained my situation, Alana rolled her eyes and pulled up my file. She basically gave me a test of all my personal info...name, address, phone number, check-in time...I answered everything knowingly and quickly. Eventually, it came to method of payment. I stated "Visa Debit." Still without making eye contact she snottily barked "WRONG. It says Mastercard." Basically at this point I was shocked. Why? Because I only own one debit card...a VISA card. There was no way I could have paid with anything else! At this point, I basically had to convince her that I deserved a new card, even offering to be escorted up to the room where I could easily show her both my ID and VISA Debit card. Eventually, she sighed and admitted that the computer system frequently mistakes VISA cards as Mastercards. Finally, she gave me a new card telling me to “be careful, next time.” The final time was later that day. We happened to be in the lobby, about to go to our room in a few minutes. I remembered that we needed toilet paper and figured we could ask for some to be sent up so it would arrive more quickly once we got back. I asked Alana “Do you think we could please get some toilet paper for our room?” Of course she looked at me like I was the biggest idiot in the world. “Not at the front desk.” She replied. At this point I just stared at her. Finally, she said “I can have some sent up to your room if that’s what you mean.” The toilet paper never came, by the way. We had to call again an hour later. So in conclusion, if you plan to stay at this hotel expect a decent room but to be treated like dirt.

Fords, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We just got done with a grand weekend at the Double Tree. The AnimeNEXT Con was going on and we stood here to be in the center of the action. The biggest problem was the A/C in the hallways was non-existent. Then on the 2nd day of the Con, an elevator broke and we were down to 3 that were always slow and scary to ride in...

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I am so glad you were happy with our service. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I’m so sorry you experienced some issues with your air conditioning unit/elevators during your stay. Our maintenance staff works diligently to keep them in excellent condition and we are sorry to hear you didn't experience that. Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area. We’d love to make your stay with us the best hotel experience you've ever had.

Wrightstown, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

With the amount of people from anime next 2014 this was a great place for the convention. I will continue to come to anime so long as it is held at the Double Tree. The breakfast was top notch. The rooms were great and clean. I enjoyed the service that were provide and the Staff was very good to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo