“Horrible experience ever”

Candlewood Suites Somerset
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Somerset
“Horrible experience ever”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We booked 6 rooms a week prior to our visit however when we visited rooms were not ready at all. We had to wait for good 4 hours after 22 hours flight to check in. Rooms are pathetic. Air Conditioners were not working. Rooms were suffocated to death. I would not recommend this place to stay to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Abhishek J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Abhishek J,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Candlewood Suites around. I sincerely apologize that our amenities and room conditions fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I needed a last meinute weekend stay in somerset for work that was inexpensive clean. This place exceeded my expectations. I had read some of the bad reviews and was a little skeptical. I was also apprehensive about it costing the same per night as the Motel 6 down the road. I currently writing this in my renovated 1 bedroom queen suite, complete with new bedding with a down duvet, and chic modern look. Impeccably clean. Fluffy towles. Complementary bag of popcorn. Cooking utensils and a normal sized fridge. And I dont know about the other reviews and other rooms but it does work. My ONLY complaint was that the drain in the tub wouldnt stop up the water. Being on my feet all day for work, I was really looking forward to being able to soak. Thats ok though, its a common problem in most homes let alone hotels.

Be aware that the front desk hours are until 11am. Its a quiet hotel so I guess they found it was counterintuitive to make someone stay awake all night for nothing. After 11 you need your roomkey to enter the building.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ImaginedImagery
Louie T, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 30 October 2015
On behalf of the Candlewood Suites Somerset Team, we would like to thank you for the awesome review and feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and loved the amenities that Candlewood offers. We appreciate you for being an IHG rewards club member and for choosing us for your accommodation needs.
Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed here for a convention in New Brunswick and were not disappointed as usual with Candlewood Suites. It was clean, comfortable and the staff exceptionally courteous. I love the queen one bedroom suite with two TVs and a separate sitting area. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Louie T, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 16 November 2015
We would like to extend to you our heartfelt appreciation for choosing Candlewood Suites Somerset for your accommodation needs. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Pros:
- Spacious room
- Affordable
- Stove top, microwave, dishwasher, Full refrigerator, and kitchen accessorized
- Comfortable bed
- Smoking rooms available

Cons:
- Freezer was not cold, & ice maker did not work
- No pool
- No ice machines
- Limited entry
- Uninformed/uneducated front desk

Although the room was nice and spacious, the front desk wasn't very helpful when it came to the freezer not working properly. Check in was also delayed from wrong information they provided prior to my arrival. Close to shopping centers and restaurants. Free Internet connection, a little shaky at times.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bxsuccess76
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear bxsuccess76,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Again, thank you for your time and staying with us.

Connie D
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 January 2014

For several years, I have been staying at Candlewood Suites - Somerset on a fairly regular basis. In the past, the hotel has been a good value for my purposes. However, during my past few stays, the quality and service at the hotel has declined substantially. I will no longer stay at the hotel, nor will I recommend it to others.

I come back to New Jersey to attend a meeting of a college alumni association, and these meetings often last until relatively late in the night. During my last two stays, parking was unavailable when I returned to the hotel late at night. This was particularly infuriating because some vehicles took up several spaces, while other spaces were occupied by vehicles that haven't been moved in years (in particular, one covered motorcycle that has been chained to a lamppost in the parking lot every time I have stayed at the hotel).

In absolute disregard of the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, housekeeping has woken me up early in the morning on checkout day, several hours before checkout time, each of my last two stays. Since my meetings run late into the night, I cherish the few extra hours of sleep I can catch up on the next morning. I really don't need housekeeping pounding on the door to my room. Why doesn't the hotel actually wait until the guests check out before sending housekeeping?

During my last stay, I deliberately booked a smoking room, even though it was larger than I needed and cost more than other options. Although it is a bad habit, I do enjoy having a cigarette while relaxing in my room or catching up on work. In spite of my confirmation of a smoking room, the clerk assigned me to a non-smoking room. When I arrived at the room and found a lack of ashtrays, I returned to the front desk and pointed out the error. The clerk said that there was no error; the smoking rooms were all full (apparently one guest extended their stay) despite my confirmation to the contrary. She seemed proud to say that she assigned me a room close to the exit, so that I may have an easier time going out in sub freezing weather to enjoy a cigarette, rather than staying in my room. She seemed to have little empathy or concern that I had deliberately booked a more expensive room in order to have a smoking room. Her lack of concern and inability to rectify the situation was appalling.

Finally, the condition of the room furniture has been declining. The desk chair was missing some of its leather covering, and its stuffing was coming out. I looked as though the chair was attacked by an animal.

It has become quite clear that the management has little concern for the comfort of their guests, and that they have no concern or capacity to rectify problems during a stay. I will not be returning to Candlewood Suites any time soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Ray T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear UxbridgeRay,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all issues you had and any inconvenience you may have encountered which affected your stay negatively. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional information. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I asked for extra pillows & a blanket since the covers on the bed was so thin & the pillows were not firm at all - they told me to come back the next morning-to say they have no extra pillows. We sat a beer box outside the door - hoping they would pick it up and it sat outside the room for 2 days - the people across the hall did the same and their trash sat outside the door as well- who does that, I've done that at plenty of hotels and they've always picked up the trash. The staff was not friendly at all, I'm planning to go back to jersey for thanksgiving, i will not be staying here again!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bella R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Somerset, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Bella R,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made. Thank you again for your review.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Hughes Springs, Texas
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very nice comfortable rooms. Free laundry for guests and exercise room with many machines. The staff is very polite and courteous and trust worthy. Very reasonable rates as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking or looking for a place to stay in northern New Jersey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business