“Wonderful Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Getaway”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The Breakers was the perfect weekend getaway for the girls - Wonderful Food, Comfortable Rooms, Cozy Porch that overlooks the ocean, and a relaxing pool. The staff was super friendly and we felt perfectly at ease all weekend. The showers by the pool are a great touch as you can hang out all day after checking out. While this trip was for a girls weekend, the hotel and location are romantic so I look forward to sharing the property with my husband as well. All around a fantastic hotel that I am eager to come back too!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Wonderful location, great food in restaurants. Guest services are excellent. This was our second trip this year to the Breakers. First stay was so great in june we went back again in august. We cannot wait until next season so we are trying to find a date in sept or oct. book early. They fill up fast

• Stayed August 2012
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We had a great stay at the Breakers. The weather cooperated so of course the beach was at its best. We love walking into town and viewing the homes along the way. Having an after dinner drink in the evening on the porch is one of our favorite things.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I had my wedding here on a Sunday in April. It was absolutely beautiful, and that's no exaggeration. The Breakers was helpful and wonderful to work with through the whole process. I did all of my own decorations, and they put them up very well in the reception room. We chose Sunday because of the discount and we ended up having the minimum number of people, but they never made me feel like I was any less important because I wasn't one of their big-budget brides. There was a wedding Saturday night, and I think we might have been in their way a little bit for the rehearsal, but The Breakers still made me feel like it was all about me (though I'm sure, they made the other bride feel the same). I was an anxious bride, I did not enjoy the process, and most everyone at the Breakers was adept at putting me at my ease and answering my questions. Shannon, Dona and the other sales manager and maitre'ds were always warm and professional, and one of the banquet staff, I think her name was Claudia, was an amazing sweetheart and very helpful to me after the ceremony when my dress picked up the asphalt from crossing the road from the beach. We did the buffet, and all of the food was INCREDIBLE. Buffets can be tricky, but they did a phenomenal job with both presentation and quality. My only regret is that I didn't get to eat much. The bartender made sure I was drinking the good gin (though I think all the choices were good). And the cake from Del Ponte's was the best we've had, we can't wait to order a little one for our 1 year anniversary.

That said, there were a couple of things that could have been better. I wish they would have wrapped the top tier of the cake in saran wrap. It was just dropped in the box, and we left at 5:00am for the plane, so my in-laws had it sitting in their fridge protected by nothing but cardboard for almost 2 weeks. It wasn't so good, and impossible to freeze. No biggy though, we'll get another for sure. Worse was that I heard from my bridesmaids that they had to put out the ceremony decorations in the boardwalk gazebo right before. We made the last minute decision to do it there instead of the Breaker's porch (it was 80 degrees that day, but rain threatened - it was dry though!), but it didn't occur to me that it meant we wouldn't get help from the staff. They did mention they weren't allowed to leave the property, especially because Spring Lake is really mean to them about the boardwalk, but I was stressed and it didn't click. I wish they would have been explicit or told my bridesmaids sooner, but all is well that ends well and my bridesmaids did a great job. And at the reception, they could probably make the guest table more obvious - maybe closer to the bar? Though it was close, it was off to the side. A lot of people didn't see our guestbook, because if they didn't bring a gift there, they didn't go that way, and the envelope box is in the middle of the room instead. This last issue is the silliest and probably reflects more of my overwhelmed feelings even after the wedding than anything else (I still feel like I need distance, which is why it took so long to write a review), but they didn't light the candles in my floating bowls that decorated some of the tables. If that's the worst thing, I think I can say with confidence that the day went off wonderfully!

But, a note about the hotel - the staff is not as good. Shannon had upgraded my room for free, to an ocean side view (which turned out to be PERFECT!). But I thought maybe I would upgrade it further to ocean front, for the comped night plus the 2nd night we were paying for. The staff wouldn't work with me and wanted to charge me the whole price, even for the free upgrade, plus the price for the next upgrade. They were very disorganized, giving me and my mom different answers 5 times out of 6, and not very nicely. I heard some of my guests had some problems too. But, it did turn out for the best because I ended up loving the side-view room, Shannon was so great for getting it for us, I saw many facebook pics of my guests who stayed enjoying the lovely weather and atmosphere, and when we checked-in early on Saturday to drop stuff off and for the rehearsal, the front desk was very nice and accommodating.

Spring Lake really needs to not be so hard on The Breakers. I was a resident of a beach town for many years (Belmar) and I have avid contempt for the Bennies and tourists too. But the residents of Spring Lake needs to realize that their town attracts the kind of visitors that have more respect as well as adding to the economy and atmosphere they enjoy there...my wedding guests and I are not anything close to Bennies. They need to stop complaining to the boro, and the boro needs to lay off the Breakers. The staff was very good at conveying what is and isn't allowed, but they can't control everything their visitors do. And I couldn't control my groomsmen when I was waiting for my wedding - I was very upset when I found out they did something that wasn't allowed, but it was absolutely no reflection on the Breakers (though maybe it was a reflection on that Spring Lake puts their benches in weird places, and doesn't recognize that moving them really causes no harm to the bench or the donators - they should be glad they're enjoyed by a generally quiet group of folks having a simple beach wedding, among other visitors). But regardless, we will be coming to visit there and the town for years to come, despite crabby residents who do things like insist on sitting on the beach right in the background of my wedding photos (dude, seriously, it's a big beach, and it was otherwise empty).

So, overall, I didn't want a formal wedding. I wanted a casual picnic or something. But my husband didn't, and I'm so glad we picked the Breakers. It was the best part of the whole experience, and they deserve a lot of credit for their fine work, professionalism and positive contributions.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I haven’t been on a real beach vacation since I was a kid when we would go to Old Orchard Beach, Maine, or Hammonasset State Park in Connecticut. My husband’s childhood is one of memories of the Jersey Shore (JS) but farther south in Stone Harbor. So this summer it was a beach vacation to relive our youthful memories. We’ve stayed at several JS B&Bs but not at a quintessential JS hotel like the Breakers.

The Breakers’ best assets: a super and friendly staff, clean rooms, a great restaurant, a popular pool, and a relaxing wraparound porch. Our king executive luxury room overlooking the pool and ocean was incredibly spacious, able to fit a crib and a rollaway for the kids. As one would expect from a historic building that’s been updated over the years, it is gently worn and slightly dated with a few oddities like the placement of the head of the bed against the same wall as the whirlpool tub next door – making it a bit noisy when the neighbor used it late at night. All and all it was a great experience and felt like a comfortable pair of your favorite slippers and clearly a place that people return to year after year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 14 August 2012

The Breakers is a beautiful hotel with a very nice restaurant and great food. The rooms are comfortable and nicely appointed. My room had a wonderful view of the ocean and the pool. The pool is a big hit with all of the guests. The elevator is the slowest I've seen but that's understandable in such an old building. Take the stairs instead. The front wrap around porch is nice and the restaurant and bar serves you while sitting outside and enjoying a board game.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor in a lovely room facing the ocean and pool. It was nice clean and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Easton, PA
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I visited Spring Lake in February, staying at the Breakers.

Let's put it this way: Spring Lake is dead in February. But, the Breakers was not only open, they were very friendly and helpful, and about half the cost of "high season." I booked a side ocean view room, and because they were not full, they upgraded me to a full ocean view when I arrived. Lovely!

Overall, one can expect very clean and crisp accommodations at the Breakers. Not huge on character, but no major failings either. Convenient, centrally located and not far from shopping, with great views of beach. It has a very nice covered porch which is nice to relax on. The room was very nice and roomy, without being particularly stylish. The hot tub/jacuzzi has room for two and not lacking hot water. Great on a chilly winter night!

Dining out in spring Lake was a bit of a problem. We thought that if we got to a restaurant an hour before posted closing we would get seated without a reservation. No such luck - they were closing early! We struck out with both restaurants we tried. Best part: we walked through a sleet storm to get to them (It WAS nice - it was when I realized I was going to marry the woman I was with!). We ended up driving to a pub in the next town over.

The beach was beautiful and, without all of the bodies populating it in the summer, was special to stroll along in the early morning light of wintertime.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!