“My family loves the Breakers”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I'm a bit conflicted about writing this review because I love when the place is not too crowded so it is sort of fine with me if everyone avoids it. A few years ago there were articles on great weekend places in the tri-State area to stay with your family and they named the Breakers and it was hard to get a reservation for a while.

We've been going there for years and just went again for five days this past July. My husband and our three children (ages 8, 6 and almost 3) and I fit comfortably into one of their large ocean front rooms with a pull-out couch. One of the things I've always loved about the Breakers is they have a decent sized fridge in every room and you can bring a lot of your own snacks, water and food (we bring cereal to eat on some mornings and pb&j for lunch on others but their restaurant and poolside offerings are a good value). I've always found the rooms to be acceptably clean although the newly renovated ones are definitely a little nicer.

It is a GREAT family hotel if you are the kind of family that appreciates not being hassled and a laid back atmosphere. There's no swim up bar, room service (if you order it) comes whenever it comes, no one enforces the rules about people hogging the umbrella tables (which can be annoying), and it might take a bit of arm waving to flag down the waitress to get a drink order in. But on the other hand, children are extremely welcome, the facilities are basic but clean, the pool is frequently heated (and pool toys are permitted) and the location can't be beat. Plus it's fun to watch the weddings, especially the guys in their tuxes trudging back from photos on the beach on 90 degree days. My kids love going there and we had the most relaxing time this past July even though it was rainy a bit of the time. (Be sure to check out the town of Spring Lake and go to the boardwalk in Point Pleasant.)

If I didn't have children, there might be other places I would prefer to stay just to have more luxurious accommodations. But it is a great place to go with your kids.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jklNy

Reviewed 1 July 2008

I read all of the terrible reviews and was expecting The Breakers to be awful but it really wasn't bad at all (which doesn't sound like high praise but considering how bad I thought it was going to be, I was pleasantly surprised.) The only major downside is that this place is a wedding factory; we were there Fri - Sun and there were weddings almost constantly, which generally take up the entire porch. The elevator is also ridiculously slow so you'd really be better off taking the stairs if you're able.

Pros:
- Clean, updated, well-air conditioned room
- Nice pool
- Good location
- Hotel staff was totally neutral (not rude as mentioned in many other posts: I know this doesn't sound like a 'Pro' but I was pretty much expecting to be punched in the face when I walked through the door based on some of the other reviews)

Cons:
- Pricey but you're paying for location
- Weddings take up much of the common areas
- Parking is limited to the street so you may have to walk a couple of blocks
- You do have to mail them a check for a deposit of half of the total before you arrive, seems kinda ridiculous in 2008

Summary:
Probably a great place to have a wedding (assuming the bride can tolerate seeing other brides the same day) If you're just going for a quiet getaway, I'd check to see if there are weddings scheduled during your visit. Also, this really is just an average hotel, if you're expecting a Bed & Breakfast, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank EddieMac24
Reviewed 22 June 2008

Located right on the ocean with some great views of the ocean. We stayed here for three nights. The place was clean. The staff was helpful. The seashell restaurant in the hotel is absolutly great. I have eaten there four times over several months and was never disappointed. The best T-bone steak I ever ate was at this place. The breakfast room however is expensive and the service was terrible in there (do not confuse the breakfast room with the seashell restaurant). The prices for rooms are very good for this area and location.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bothofusluv2travel
Reviewed 20 June 2008

The location is so wonderful; you can see the ocean so beautifully. The town of Spring Lake is like the Hamptons in New Jersey. It’s just the best location. The hotel was very clean everything was so pristine. Our room was roomy; we had a side ocean view room so we had a great view of the ocean and the town. Like I said our room was very clean & I am very picky about that so if I say it was good it was. The staff was very friendly except for when it came to paying for our room. We had sent a check in to pay for the entire stay, well when it was time to check out they said that we did not pay for the whole stay only part of it. Well first off why would I send in a check for part of the stay? It would make so sense to send in a check for 80% of the bill and not pay 20% of it, so there was a bit of trouble w/ that. It didn’t make me very happy. When I’m quoted a price and I have paid for that I sure would like to know how they could try to charge me more. The restaurant is great, the view is great and the food is very good it is a little pricey though but it’s worth it. This is a great place and I would recommend it to someone else but I would warn them to make sure they have the price written in some sort of contract so they don’t try to swindle more money out of them.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We (my wife, 2 year old daughter, and I) stayed at this hotel Mid-week, 2nd week in June of 2008. I just want to point out how wrong some of these negative reviews are.

The elevator, come on!, it is a bit slow but it is by no means that slow to even mention it in a review. There wasn't even that long of a wait, but we did stay mid-week without any weddings to contend with. There were a couple nightly large parties.

The rooms were very clean. Both my wife and daughter suffer from a crapload of allergies and we had zero problems. Also, the rooms were well above average in up-keep. The shower did have intermitent hot water at times... like the water would be hot, then cool, then hot again, all within a matter of minutes.

Don't go to this hotel if you are expecting the Hilton with marble walls and floors from the lobby to your room. The lobby is very nice with that very marble you are yearning for -- haha.

The staff was excellent. Some were quite young and did a very good job in spite of it. All very helpful and pleasant.

Upon checking in, the front desk staff upgraded us to slightly larger room just because we asked if they could. That was exciting. They really did not have to...

Everyone who worked at the front desk and restaurant areas greeted us with a smile.

Restaurant, not awesome, but doable. The muffins were excellent. The grilled cheese was fabulous-- we enjoyed eating what was left afeter our daughter was done eating. I had broiled flounder for dinner one night and it was the best I had tasted in a while, very fresh. IMO, the food at dinner-time was a bit overpriced but what meal isn't at the shore.

Location, you cannot beat this location. The beach is awesome. Their pool was awesome. The home around this hotel are absolutely breath-taking.

In short, we all had a great time and we will be coming back around the same time next summer.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I stayed at this hotel last week with some girl friends. I love the location. There is something so peaceful about sitting on the front veranda having a drink and listening to the ocean. The food is excellent and not over the top expensive. I love this place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 May 2008

The Breakers is as beautiful a place as its reputation. If room size matters, one needs to pay for it. We had a huge room with a view of the ocean. The staff (with the exception of the assistant manager, who has the personality of a piece of dust) was helpful and very kind. The food was good; they have a great early bird dinner as well. Spring Lake is the most beautiful town in the States, as far as we are concerned.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!