“Breakers ---So bad for Big Bucks!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Subject: The Breakers on the Ocean
Location: Spring Lake, New Jersey, United States, North America
Title: so bad for big bucks!!!
ID#: 30172396

We were invited to a wedding at The Breakers. We stayed there for the weekend and it was a huge costly mistake. During the wedding, several young men who were staying at the hotel - used the Ladies Room very openly while I was there with my young teenage daughter. there is NO security staff at this very overpriced hotel. it was disgusting and frightening. We ate at the restarurant twice and it was extremely pricey for just semi-ok food. The wait staff there have no social skills dealing with people and act like this is a diner. One look at the prices on the menu and you will know its not anything like a diner! The Matre'd/Manager - Jim-is very unprofessional and also does not deal well with people. He did not want to hear anything but compliments for his staff (which we had none since they were soo bad) and got very irate when we informed him that we didnt enjoy the poor way that we were treated while spending over $200 for our dinner. Our waitress - Heather - was rude and beyond nasty to our teenage girls. Meanwhile all the staff can talk about is how wonderful it is that they now use "real" potatoes instead of the boxed ones that they had been using. Who cares!!!! They seem to enjoy that they ripped people off with these Potatoe Buds for years! We do not need this aggrivation and will not be back to the Breakers for anything. Dont waste your time or money for an expensive and unsafe experience. Anyone can come off the street into the hotel since they do not lock one of the main entrances at all with the security system that most basic hotels have. What is with this place?? Dont ask the Manager, Jim, unless you want to get snapped just for being a customer. The owners name is Cosmo and he also does not want to hear about anyone's unsettling experience at The Breakers. SO Dont waste your money at The Breakers - go stay someplace nice for this kind of money!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank dolphinsmiles

Reviewed 8 June 2009

I almost cancelled our reservation after reading the reviews here but I'm happy I didn't.

We loved the hotel, the staff, the restaurant and we are fussy people. Our room was lovely, we had a great ocean view. The staff was accommodating and even though there were some weddings taking place it didn't interfere with our experience. One night there was a huge amount of noise above us, sounded like unspervised kids running and jumping, and the the manager dealt with it immediately without making us feel like we were just complainers. They couldn't have been nicer.

The food in the restaurant was excellent. The breakfast experience was good, not outstanding, but adequate with good service and selection.

We plan to go back again! It is a great location and we've paid a lot more for a lot less to be by the ocean.

P.S. Spring Lake is a very quiet town, if you are looking for nightlife, amusement park rides and Tshirt shops, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Let me start off by saying I've had better customer service at a McDonald's drive thru then I did at this place. We stayed here for a wedding. I originally booked a room with two double beds because there were four of us sharing a room due to the ridiculous price at this dump of a hotel. When we checked in and got to our room we come to discover that the room only had I double bed. After I went down and asked about it at the front desk they told me that this is what I booked and I was stuck with it unless we upgraded even though I had confirmation of a room with two double beds. After reluctantly doing that we were bringing our stuff in and a hotel employee told me that I am not permitted to bring a cooler into the hotel. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? The last time I checked it was legal for an adult to bring a cooler of adult beverages into a hotel. During the night part of the drop ceiling collapsed into our room from the hot tub above us overflowing. The next morning while I was checking out and demanded I get a refund because of their screw up and since half the ceiling fell in our room and was told NO! I ended up speaking with the general manager a few days afterwards and she couldn't care less about what I had to say. I have never had a more awful hotel experience than this one. This was the first and last time I will ever visit Spring Lake.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Coalcracker64
Reviewed 22 April 2009

My wife and I stayed at "the Breakers" for our 11th wedding anniversary and was very disappointed! First, don't use a debit card because they hold extra money when you check in and you won't get it back in your account for over a week, the restaurant was horrible...instant mash potatoes, over cooked meat and bad decor! After they messed up our "Breakfast in Bed" order, we got our food cold. Water temp in shower could not be adjusted...all hot! Ice machine broken...and we stayed in a $300 a night suite...wtf! Service overshadowed by weddings!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JerseyJames
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We had our Wedding there on November 28, 2008. It was fabulous. The staff could not have been better, food was fantastic. We stayed several days after and the staff was wonderful. We loved every minute of it. All of our guest were really impressed. We had 18 rooms, no complaints! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 12 November 2008

It's a really nice place and the surroundings are much more than the hotel rooms. Consider the rooms a Days Inn quality. It's older not messy older just small and no real views. Would have to move the table and stick my head out the window for the "side" ocean view. Not sure why they charged extra for it nor did they state the fact it's really not much of a view. Of course they don't say that when you are booking the room.

Now if you are downstairs and sitting on the porch, that's nice, but after that I think they live off the reputation of the town more than that of the place.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jkoz999
Reviewed 1 November 2008

We were there for a wedding last night (October 31, 2008). The rooms were decent. We had a standard king room on the 3rd floor. We walked in the door and saw that the room was currently at 84 degrees. We turned on the air IMMEDIATELY and by the end of the night, we got back to the room and the room only dropped to 78 degrees. The bathroom was very tiny and had the only mirror. It was very difficult for us to get ready when I needed the mirror to prepare. The hotel does seem outdated but seems to be decent for what it is.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!