The Breakers on the Ocean
Hewitt Wellington(Spring Lake)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$177
US$177
Walden on the Pond(Spring Lake)
US$268
US$258
Doolan's(Spring Lake)
US$115
US$112
  • Breakfast included
Atlantic Inn & Suites(Wall Township)
US$84
US$80
US$91
Economy Inn(Wall Township)
US$79
Sea Girt Lodge(Wall Township)
US$115
US$106
Travelocity
Chateau Inn & Suites(Spring Lake)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewspiano barhotel restaurantoff seasonwhirlpool tubthe past yearsgreat roomnew jerseyfront porchthe entire staffmid weekbeach badgesboardwalkterrioceanweekenddonamaitre
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We just got back from our trip to The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake, NJ. We had a great time! I must admit, though, that I wasn't sure what to expect based on previous reviews from Trip Advisor and the fact that my husband and I attended a wedding reception there and stayed overnight about 9 months ago (October '08) and thought it was so-so. Then when we were trying to find a place for a sort of last minute vacation w/ other family members, my sister in-law found this hotel. I told her of our experience and that we were willing to give it another try. I'm SO GLAD we did!
We had a great time! Spring Lake is VERY nice.
We used the beach which was right across the street and very convenient b/c we didn't have to load our "stuff" or our children in and out of the car. The beach was clean and not super crowded and when we were done we just went back across the street to the hotel and showered and went out or rinsed off and went to the pool! AND there was a kiddie pool! That was a life saver b/c I didn't have to go in the water if I didn't want to. (I know I sound like a party pooper.) We ate lunch at the pool, too.
Our room was fine. Nothing super luxurious. But exactly what we needed. We had a king deluxe w/ a pull out sofa and an ocean view. We all slept fine. We took some relaxing walks in the nearby neighborhoods and on the boardwalk. The homes in the area are so beautiful to look at. The area is not crowded at all so you really feel like you are away from it all. I took some walks with my son in his stroller and rarely had to share the sidewalk w/ anyone. I never would have believed that if I didn't experience it myself - especially in the middle of July! We took a short drive to Point Pleasant to go to the aquarium and walk along the boardwalk. That was nice!
The only cons would be that the dining room for dinner is a little pricey and the stores/restaurants in Spring Lake close at 5pm-no kidding! There are 2 places (that we found) in walking distance to go for dinner after 5pm. So, if you don't want to eat in the dining room, you will most likely have to drive somewhere or walk into town.
Even all that wasn't so bad. Now that we know, we'll have a better plan for next year. Also, we had a jacuzzi tub w/ shower and everytime we showered the water ALWAYS "flooded" the bathroom. No matter how we angled it, it always flooded. We finally had to put washclothes around the edges to soak up the water.
All in all we had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank bryanliz1
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The Hotel was great, room was clean and with a great view of the ocean , the food @ the restaurant was bad, I wish they could get as new chef. and they need pool side parasols for the guest.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2009

When I first read all the reviews about this hotel I was very leery of staying there. I have worked in Hotels in NYC all my life and my husband is a Chef. We went for a weekend with our two small children just for a quick get away. Our experience was top notch. We stayed in a luxury deluxe room, perfect if you have small children. There was a luxurious King size bed with high end bedding, a pull out couch and a sitting area. The bathroom was huge and 4 people could fit in the jacuzzi tub alone. There was a large refrigerator which was perfect to store my one year old's bottles. The pool area was clean and had a kiddie pool that my 3 year old had a ball in. You can also order drinks and food at the pool as well. We arrived early and was asked for our cell # so we could be contacted when the room was ready. Check in is at 3:00, we arrived at noon. We had lunch in the restaurant while we waited. The "shell room" overlooks the ocean and is lovely. The staff oohed and ahhed over the kids and were friendly as can be. The quality of the food was excellent and priced accordingly. Just as we were finishing we received a call that the room was ready. The only thing I would like to see in the room that was missing is a coffee maker, otherwise it was perfect for our needs. The location cannot be beat, it is across from a pristine beach. Just don't forget to bring your own beach gear for it is a public beach. Badges are provided by the hotel. If you lose your badges you will get charged $50.00. I happened to drop one of my badges somewhere in the Hotel and I received a phone call on my cell from the front desk that it was turned in. There was a Wedding that evening at the Hotel which brought excitement in the air. Yes, the common area in the front porch was closed for the cocktail hour but it reopened shortly after. The front porch overlooks the ocean and is a great area to order cocktails and appetizers. It is a very relaxing atmosphere and the service was quick and efficient. The prices for cocktails was fair and not overpriced. We had dinner in the restaurant with another party and our two small children. Food was pricey but excellent quality. I would rather pay a little more for good food and was pleased. Service was friendly and attentive. This Hotel is not the Ritz Carlton but if you are selective as am I, you will enjoy a lovely stay here.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My family has returned to the Breakers on numerous occasions and have enjoyed each stay immensely. Although the rooms are not inexpensive, they are immaculately clean and comfortable and many have exquisite views of the ocean. Our room had a good size TV as well as a vcr and dvd player. There was a gas fireplace, but we did not use it since the weather was warm and it actually gave off heat. Both wired and wireless internet are available. There is no business center, but the staff has been able to make copies or send faxes for us. The bath rooms have been upgraded and were extremely clean--the housekeepers do a good job.

The pool and the pool area was a great plus; again it was well kept and poolside food and drink service was available. The location of the hotel is right across the street from a beautiful beach and boardwalk. It's not Coney Island--quite the opposite--It is clean and quiet and even during the holiday weekend, it was not crowded.

The restaurant is one of the best features. The menu is varied (although with an Italian slant) and the prices are most reasonable considering the fare. The seafood is fresh and well prepared. The steaks and chops are excellent and cooked to order. The deserts are fantastic--try the chocolate thunder cake or the gelato. The wine list is thoughtful and not a ripoff. We always had service with a smile. The decor of the room has just been redone and although my wife liked the old color scheme better, I think the blue and wood is just fine and enhances your ocean side dining experience.

The town of Spring Lake is a perfect gem. The houses are beautiful and the flowers are wonderful. The main street is full of interesting little shops. If you get tired of the beach or the pool at the hotel, you can picnic at the actual Spring Lake, from which the town gets its name.

If you get tired of the peace and quiet, there's the hot bar scene in Belmar, up the road to the north. If the kids get restless, it's a short trip to Point Pleasant for amusements and arcades. It's about a half hour to Great Adventure or the Monmouth Mall for shopping or my favorite--Monmouth Park.

What we liked least is having to go home!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Subject: The Breakers on the Ocean
Location: Spring Lake, New Jersey, United States, North America
Title: so bad for big bucks!!!
ID#: 30172396

We were invited to a wedding at The Breakers. We stayed there for the weekend and it was a huge costly mistake. During the wedding, several young men who were staying at the hotel - used the Ladies Room very openly while I was there with my young teenage daughter. there is NO security staff at this very overpriced hotel. it was disgusting and frightening. We ate at the restarurant twice and it was extremely pricey for just semi-ok food. The wait staff there have no social skills dealing with people and act like this is a diner. One look at the prices on the menu and you will know its not anything like a diner! The Matre'd/Manager - Jim-is very unprofessional and also does not deal well with people. He did not want to hear anything but compliments for his staff (which we had none since they were soo bad) and got very irate when we informed him that we didnt enjoy the poor way that we were treated while spending over $200 for our dinner. Our waitress - Heather - was rude and beyond nasty to our teenage girls. Meanwhile all the staff can talk about is how wonderful it is that they now use "real" potatoes instead of the boxed ones that they had been using. Who cares!!!! They seem to enjoy that they ripped people off with these Potatoe Buds for years! We do not need this aggrivation and will not be back to the Breakers for anything. Dont waste your time or money for an expensive and unsafe experience. Anyone can come off the street into the hotel since they do not lock one of the main entrances at all with the security system that most basic hotels have. What is with this place?? Dont ask the Manager, Jim, unless you want to get snapped just for being a customer. The owners name is Cosmo and he also does not want to hear about anyone's unsettling experience at The Breakers. SO Dont waste your money at The Breakers - go stay someplace nice for this kind of money!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family