“Smiles, sun and hospitality at The Breakers in Spring Lake”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
new jersey
“Smiles, sun and hospitality at The Breakers in Spring Lake”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We just finished up our third year spending a week at The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake. Having spent summers in Spring Lake as a kid I always wanted to come back again. We have four kids 10 and under and have never had one minute of dissappointment. The pool at the hotel and beach right across the street is so convenient and with breakfast, lunch and dinner offered at The Breakers you really do not have to leave. Everyone who works here has a smile and will do anthing to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. It is just a three block walk into the quiet friendly town to visit the "old school" 5 & 10 or grab a bite to eat at Who's on Third or Spring Lake pizzeria. Also for ice cream try The Blarney Cone. No need to take a flight out of town when The Breakers is the best place on the jersey shore.

1 Thank powertrips33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
new jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My husband and I got married at Breakers mid-May. Everything was fantastic!

Terri was our banquet manager. She is fabulous! We booked our date and signed the contract just about 2 years before the wedding. During my 2 years of planning Terri was so very helpful. She answered ALL of my questions whether they were silly things on my mind or very serious inquiries. She was wonderful to work with every step of the way.

Donna was out maitre de who we met the day before the wedding. She was great! She made everything so easy. I didnt have to do anything the day of the wedding. She told us where to go, what to do, and guided us through the whole wedding day. At first i was disappointed when Terri told me we didnt need a rehearsal dinner - but after meeting Donna i learned why that was so. The day before the wedding Donna went through the wedding day events step by step. I felt so confident working with her and Terri. The morning of the wedding i woke up calm and stress free as i knew everything would be taken care of by these two lovely ladies.

I stayed at Breakers the night before the wedding with some out of state family members. Everybody had absolutely no problems checking in. My guests only complaint was that they could not pay by credit card while booking the room. It seems a bit old fashioned that they had to send a personal check months before their stay. I booked the Luxury Deluxe room. I thought it was the prefect size for myself and 4 bridesmaids, my mother, and future mother in law to get ready in. The bathroom was HUGE and remodeled beautifully. I had no complaints with this room.

The morning of the wedding i woke up slightly nervous because when i took a walk outside i saw that they were repainting the porch. The same porch i was getting married on in 10 hours! I spoke to Terri about this and she reassured me that the painting would be completed by the afternoon. She was right and i was excited to have a freshly painted porch to get married on! I knew the porch would be a bit bland to get married on so i bought some tulle to drape around the circumference. During the planning process Terri informed me that was something they would not do for us but instead my florist should do. My florist said he didnt do it either so i bought the tulle myself and gave my father that job. Terri and Donna would not let my father decorate the porch so they handled it in the morning and did a beautiful job. I loved he way the porch and ballroom looked decorated. All i had to do was bring my stuff there the night before and the staff handled everything. I was nervous because i am picky with decorating and had an image in my head of what i wanted everything to look like for the past 2 years. Luckily the staff decorated everything just perfect. It was such a relief that i didnt have to worry about those little details the day of the wedding.

I had dropped off our welcome baskets and were told the staff would deliver them to each room. As guests checked in i visited with a few family members in between getting may hair and make up done and was a bit disappointed to find these baskets delivered not in the condition i dropped them off. It was partially my fault because it wasnt an actual basket but a clear bag filled with goodies. I had made everything look neat and pretty in the bag before drop off but when they got the the room everything was all messed up inside the bag. Things were upside down and a bit out of order. It was something very minor but still got me a little upset as i had took so much time to make them look perfect and they werent delivered perfectly.

Our ceremony started at 5:30 pm on the porch. It was perfect. It was exactly how i wanted to get married. Our officiant brought a PA system which was needed because of the noise from the ocean and traffic. We also hired a string trio to play. They set up in the corner of the porch, i thought having the live music was a special touch. We had a short and very personal ceremony as our friends and family stood around us as we read our vows. It was the perfect ceremony for us. We didnt want to have a big to do at a church or get involved with having the ceremony on the beach. The porch was a no brainer as we didnt have to do much to prepare for it and a rehearsal dinner wasnt needed. Anyhow, after we were pronounced husband and wife we mingled for a minute then headed to the beach for pictures.

We had them set up a private cocktail hour for ourselves and our bridal party but did not get a chance to utilize it since we had one short hour for pictures. Looking back now, i wish i didnt have them go through the trouble in setting it up for us, but i didnt know any better at the time. At the time it was more important for us to get pictures on the beach then it was to eat! While we were taking our pictures the rest of the guests were enjoying the cocktail hour on the porch. Although i didnt get to enjoy the food i was told everything was great. We did not purchase any extra add on's during the cocktail hour and i dont think it was needed - the food was plentiful. I was told the staff was great and the bartenders were awesome.

Donna gathered everyone together and sent them into the ballroom while our bridal party got together for our big entrance. Our DJ was great and quickly went into our first dances. Donna was never far away if we needed her help or had any questions. The whole night went smoothly. The hours went quickly but we had plenty of time for mingling, dancing and eating. Our prime rib dishes were delicious. The guests also enjoyed the food and drinks (lots of them). I knew the night would go fast so my husband and i often stopped what we were doing to take it all in. I can truly say that although it went fast, we enjoyed every. single. second. We were outside talking to guests when the DJ grabbed us and told us it was time to cut the cake. I was disappointed that as we walked into the ballroom our cake cutting song was half over. So we cut it real quick, took some pictures and went on with the night. It took me forever to find the perfect cake cutting song so i was a bit upset that the whole cake cutting was so rushed. I do wish we were giving a warning that the cake cutting was coming up so we knew to stay in the ballroom. The positive part of the cake cutting experience was the actual cake. it was delicious and adorable! Before we knew it our night was over. Well our night at Breakers was over.

We had a ball but didnt want the party to stop so we had a shuttle pick us up and take us to a local pub. We continued the party there and had the shuttle return us the Breakers at 2 am when the bar closed.

It was the night of our life. I would recommend Breakers to anyone! Every step of the way was so easy and stress free. I wish i could do it all over again. We talked about it non stop on our honeymoon. We were just so pleased with pretty much EVERYTHING! I had the mind frame going into it that not everything would be perfect. I didnt want to freak out if something minor happened or is not everything went my way. I was pleasantly surprised that everything did go perfectly. Maybe it was because i had that mindset going into it, or maybe its because Breakers is awesome and everyone i worked with was so helpful.

We used a few vendors that Breakers recommended. Here are my short and sweet reviews.

Elite Entertainment - We used Tom For our DJ. he was awesome. He played just about every song we asked. We were quite picky with our music as we picked every single song from the entrance music to the dinner music to the dancing music. He followed out instructions and was great to work with. If you book Elite you wont have to worry about anything!

Music for the Moment - We booked them for our string trio. Im sure they did a wonderful job but since i was walking down that aisle in a bit of a haze i dont remember them even being there. I was told they did a great job. Unfortunately i didnt get to meet any of the musicians. They set up right before the ceremony while i was up the the room getting beautiful and broke everything down and left while we were taking pictures.

Del Pontes Bakery - They were great to work with. Our cake tasting was one of my favorite parts of planning. We went for the tasting and bought some pastries to take home. Everything was to die for. SO GOOD. We picked out our cake and did pay a little extra to get it exactly how i wanted. Our cake was so neat looking and delicious. They were great!

Olympic Limo - We used them for the after party shuttle. I booked them about a month before the wedding. They had the best prices in the area. The shuttle was a perfect size and very clean.

St Stephens Pub - Our after party location. Great place for irish food, drinks and live music. Joe the manager is great. We let him know ahead of time we would be coming there after the wedding. Everyone had a great time here. We will definitely visit the pub again in the future.

So thats it!! In my eyes they did a wonderful job. Besides the very minor things that disappointed me everything was great. They get two thumbs up from me!!

Thanks again to Terri and Donna!!

Feel free to message me me if you have any questions or would like to see pictures!

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank pink55
Brewster, NY
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We just got back from our trip to The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake, NJ. We had a great time! I must admit, though, that I wasn't sure what to expect based on previous reviews from Trip Advisor and the fact that my husband and I attended a wedding reception there and stayed overnight about 9 months ago (October '08) and thought it was so-so. Then when we were trying to find a place for a sort of last minute vacation w/ other family members, my sister in-law found this hotel. I told her of our experience and that we were willing to give it another try. I'm SO GLAD we did!
We had a great time! Spring Lake is VERY nice.
We used the beach which was right across the street and very convenient b/c we didn't have to load our "stuff" or our children in and out of the car. The beach was clean and not super crowded and when we were done we just went back across the street to the hotel and showered and went out or rinsed off and went to the pool! AND there was a kiddie pool! That was a life saver b/c I didn't have to go in the water if I didn't want to. (I know I sound like a party pooper.) We ate lunch at the pool, too.
Our room was fine. Nothing super luxurious. But exactly what we needed. We had a king deluxe w/ a pull out sofa and an ocean view. We all slept fine. We took some relaxing walks in the nearby neighborhoods and on the boardwalk. The homes in the area are so beautiful to look at. The area is not crowded at all so you really feel like you are away from it all. I took some walks with my son in his stroller and rarely had to share the sidewalk w/ anyone. I never would have believed that if I didn't experience it myself - especially in the middle of July! We took a short drive to Point Pleasant to go to the aquarium and walk along the boardwalk. That was nice!
The only cons would be that the dining room for dinner is a little pricey and the stores/restaurants in Spring Lake close at 5pm-no kidding! There are 2 places (that we found) in walking distance to go for dinner after 5pm. So, if you don't want to eat in the dining room, you will most likely have to drive somewhere or walk into town.
Even all that wasn't so bad. Now that we know, we'll have a better plan for next year. Also, we had a jacuzzi tub w/ shower and everytime we showered the water ALWAYS "flooded" the bathroom. No matter how we angled it, it always flooded. We finally had to put washclothes around the edges to soak up the water.
All in all we had a great time.

1 Thank bryanliz1
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 July 2009

The Hotel was great, room was clean and with a great view of the ocean , the food @ the restaurant was bad, I wish they could get as new chef. and they need pool side parasols for the guest.

Morristown, NJ
Reviewed 14 July 2009

When I first read all the reviews about this hotel I was very leery of staying there. I have worked in Hotels in NYC all my life and my husband is a Chef. We went for a weekend with our two small children just for a quick get away. Our experience was top notch. We stayed in a luxury deluxe room, perfect if you have small children. There was a luxurious King size bed with high end bedding, a pull out couch and a sitting area. The bathroom was huge and 4 people could fit in the jacuzzi tub alone. There was a large refrigerator which was perfect to store my one year old's bottles. The pool area was clean and had a kiddie pool that my 3 year old had a ball in. You can also order drinks and food at the pool as well. We arrived early and was asked for our cell # so we could be contacted when the room was ready. Check in is at 3:00, we arrived at noon. We had lunch in the restaurant while we waited. The "shell room" overlooks the ocean and is lovely. The staff oohed and ahhed over the kids and were friendly as can be. The quality of the food was excellent and priced accordingly. Just as we were finishing we received a call that the room was ready. The only thing I would like to see in the room that was missing is a coffee maker, otherwise it was perfect for our needs. The location cannot be beat, it is across from a pristine beach. Just don't forget to bring your own beach gear for it is a public beach. Badges are provided by the hotel. If you lose your badges you will get charged $50.00. I happened to drop one of my badges somewhere in the Hotel and I received a phone call on my cell from the front desk that it was turned in. There was a Wedding that evening at the Hotel which brought excitement in the air. Yes, the common area in the front porch was closed for the cocktail hour but it reopened shortly after. The front porch overlooks the ocean and is a great area to order cocktails and appetizers. It is a very relaxing atmosphere and the service was quick and efficient. The prices for cocktails was fair and not overpriced. We had dinner in the restaurant with another party and our two small children. Food was pricey but excellent quality. I would rather pay a little more for good food and was pleased. Service was friendly and attentive. This Hotel is not the Ritz Carlton but if you are selective as am I, you will enjoy a lovely stay here.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My family has returned to the Breakers on numerous occasions and have enjoyed each stay immensely. Although the rooms are not inexpensive, they are immaculately clean and comfortable and many have exquisite views of the ocean. Our room had a good size TV as well as a vcr and dvd player. There was a gas fireplace, but we did not use it since the weather was warm and it actually gave off heat. Both wired and wireless internet are available. There is no business center, but the staff has been able to make copies or send faxes for us. The bath rooms have been upgraded and were extremely clean--the housekeepers do a good job.

The pool and the pool area was a great plus; again it was well kept and poolside food and drink service was available. The location of the hotel is right across the street from a beautiful beach and boardwalk. It's not Coney Island--quite the opposite--It is clean and quiet and even during the holiday weekend, it was not crowded.

The restaurant is one of the best features. The menu is varied (although with an Italian slant) and the prices are most reasonable considering the fare. The seafood is fresh and well prepared. The steaks and chops are excellent and cooked to order. The deserts are fantastic--try the chocolate thunder cake or the gelato. The wine list is thoughtful and not a ripoff. We always had service with a smile. The decor of the room has just been redone and although my wife liked the old color scheme better, I think the blue and wood is just fine and enhances your ocean side dining experience.

The town of Spring Lake is a perfect gem. The houses are beautiful and the flowers are wonderful. The main street is full of interesting little shops. If you get tired of the beach or the pool at the hotel, you can picnic at the actual Spring Lake, from which the town gets its name.

If you get tired of the peace and quiet, there's the hot bar scene in Belmar, up the road to the north. If the kids get restless, it's a short trip to Point Pleasant for amusements and arcades. It's about a half hour to Great Adventure or the Monmouth Mall for shopping or my favorite--Monmouth Park.

What we liked least is having to go home!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
New York City
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Subject: The Breakers on the Ocean
Location: Spring Lake, New Jersey, United States, North America
Title: so bad for big bucks!!!
ID#: 30172396

We were invited to a wedding at The Breakers. We stayed there for the weekend and it was a huge costly mistake. During the wedding, several young men who were staying at the hotel - used the Ladies Room very openly while I was there with my young teenage daughter. there is NO security staff at this very overpriced hotel. it was disgusting and frightening. We ate at the restarurant twice and it was extremely pricey for just semi-ok food. The wait staff there have no social skills dealing with people and act like this is a diner. One look at the prices on the menu and you will know its not anything like a diner! The Matre'd/Manager - Jim-is very unprofessional and also does not deal well with people. He did not want to hear anything but compliments for his staff (which we had none since they were soo bad) and got very irate when we informed him that we didnt enjoy the poor way that we were treated while spending over $200 for our dinner. Our waitress - Heather - was rude and beyond nasty to our teenage girls. Meanwhile all the staff can talk about is how wonderful it is that they now use "real" potatoes instead of the boxed ones that they had been using. Who cares!!!! They seem to enjoy that they ripped people off with these Potatoe Buds for years! We do not need this aggrivation and will not be back to the Breakers for anything. Dont waste your time or money for an expensive and unsafe experience. Anyone can come off the street into the hotel since they do not lock one of the main entrances at all with the security system that most basic hotels have. What is with this place?? Dont ask the Manager, Jim, unless you want to get snapped just for being a customer. The owners name is Cosmo and he also does not want to hear about anyone's unsettling experience at The Breakers. SO Dont waste your money at The Breakers - go stay someplace nice for this kind of money!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
#1 of 4 in Long Branch
Spring Lake Inn
Spring Lake Inn
#4 of 8 in Spring Lake

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!