The Breakers on the Ocean
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Spring Lake
See available hotels
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hewitt Wellington(Spring Lake)
Doolan's(Spring Lake)
  • Breakfast included
Walden on the Pond(Spring Lake)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Atlantic Inn & Suites(Wall Township)
Rodeway Inn(Wall Township)
View Hotel
All reviewspiano barhotel restaurantoff seasonwhirlpool tubthe past yearsgreat roomnew jerseyfront porchthe entire staffmid weekbeach badgesboardwalkterrioceanweekenddonamaitre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Every year we kick off our summer with a long weekend at The Breakers in Spring Lake and it never disappoints. This family-run hotel is casually elegant with beautiful rooms overlooking the ocean or parts of the grand homes in Spring Lake. The staff seems to have been working together at the hotel for a long time; most people behind the desk I recognize year after year -- and they recognize me, which is a plus.

If you're expecting a Hilton, this hotel is not for you. If you're expecting a personal, old-fashioned summer hotel vacation experience, then stay here. Every request we make -- whether it's hot chocolate sent to our room for the kids or extra linens -- is always graciously and promptly handled by the staff. With your stay you get beach badges for everyone in your room, which is a bonus since Spring Lake charges for daily badges, which can get ridiculously pricey for fun in the sun. Plus, the hotel has a great heated pool, so you can relax and play, also eat poolside.

We also visit the Breakers in the winter for a weekend -- the perfect, quiet get-away on the ocean. This past year we celebrated our daughter's 10 birthday and had a slumber party at the hotel with eight of her friends -- and the staff was great with us!

I know for a fact that the staff continuously goes out of its way to assist guests, whether they're staying at the hotel, just dining there or celebrating an occassion. I'm amazed at how well staff seems to handle multiple activities going on at one time at the hotel; I've seen some pretty high-maintenance guests get ornery, but no one lets their feathers get ruffled.

The dining room is beautiful and the food is always good! You also can't beat the live piano playing every night in the background. We return every year because there's no other place like it!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We booked this hotel back in June for a wedding in october. We had to MAIL in a check for our one night stay and they wouldnt take credit card, we asked back in June if we coudl get early check in around 12 or 1 because we had a wedding... no one was friendly.. i called back twice over the summer to see if they could accomondate our needs and nothing.. they said we had to call the day of, so we were traveling from SC and called the morning of the day we were staying there, and still they couldnt help us. the hotel was a disaster, just felt very dirty. Now they have charged our room for incidentals, but said they didnt, and also if they can use CC when you check in why cant you use it to book the room? We had our own wine before the wedding, and were told we werent allowed to bring in our own alcohol... let me add we didnt have an option to use the hotel bar because there were 2 other weddings goin on at the hotel... so i thought that was ridiculous.

overall we had a nice time because we were celebrating at a different facility our friends wedding, but the hotel was just AWFUL!!!!! not good at all! would not go back!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank griffinrae
Reviewed 14 August 2009

After reading some negative reviews, I was concerned about selecting this hotel but was completely satisfied with the experience. Location, location, location! The hotel is perfectly located across the street from the beach. The entrance and lobby are welcoming. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was spotless. The beds and pillows were comfortable. There was in-room temperature control and the windows can be opened for fresh air. A refrigerator in the room was a plus. The bathroom was good size. Fresh towels in the early evening was a nice touch. The halls were wide and well-lit. There were plenty of lounge chairs by the pool. There is a large veranda to sit and relax or enjoy the company of friends. Restaurant food was good and prices were reasonable for hotel dining. While there is no space for a parking lot, there is free parking across the street day and night and on side streets during the day. Overall, a very good stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank FLH585
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We just finished up our third year spending a week at The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake. Having spent summers in Spring Lake as a kid I always wanted to come back again. We have four kids 10 and under and have never had one minute of dissappointment. The pool at the hotel and beach right across the street is so convenient and with breakfast, lunch and dinner offered at The Breakers you really do not have to leave. Everyone who works here has a smile and will do anthing to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. It is just a three block walk into the quiet friendly town to visit the "old school" 5 & 10 or grab a bite to eat at Who's on Third or Spring Lake pizzeria. Also for ice cream try The Blarney Cone. No need to take a flight out of town when The Breakers is the best place on the jersey shore.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank powertrips33
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My husband and I got married at Breakers mid-May. Everything was fantastic!

Terri was our banquet manager. She is fabulous! We booked our date and signed the contract just about 2 years before the wedding. During my 2 years of planning Terri was so very helpful. She answered ALL of my questions whether they were silly things on my mind or very serious inquiries. She was wonderful to work with every step of the way.

Donna was out maitre de who we met the day before the wedding. She was great! She made everything so easy. I didnt have to do anything the day of the wedding. She told us where to go, what to do, and guided us through the whole wedding day. At first i was disappointed when Terri told me we didnt need a rehearsal dinner - but after meeting Donna i learned why that was so. The day before the wedding Donna went through the wedding day events step by step. I felt so confident working with her and Terri. The morning of the wedding i woke up calm and stress free as i knew everything would be taken care of by these two lovely ladies.

I stayed at Breakers the night before the wedding with some out of state family members. Everybody had absolutely no problems checking in. My guests only complaint was that they could not pay by credit card while booking the room. It seems a bit old fashioned that they had to send a personal check months before their stay. I booked the Luxury Deluxe room. I thought it was the prefect size for myself and 4 bridesmaids, my mother, and future mother in law to get ready in. The bathroom was HUGE and remodeled beautifully. I had no complaints with this room.

The morning of the wedding i woke up slightly nervous because when i took a walk outside i saw that they were repainting the porch. The same porch i was getting married on in 10 hours! I spoke to Terri about this and she reassured me that the painting would be completed by the afternoon. She was right and i was excited to have a freshly painted porch to get married on! I knew the porch would be a bit bland to get married on so i bought some tulle to drape around the circumference. During the planning process Terri informed me that was something they would not do for us but instead my florist should do. My florist said he didnt do it either so i bought the tulle myself and gave my father that job. Terri and Donna would not let my father decorate the porch so they handled it in the morning and did a beautiful job. I loved he way the porch and ballroom looked decorated. All i had to do was bring my stuff there the night before and the staff handled everything. I was nervous because i am picky with decorating and had an image in my head of what i wanted everything to look like for the past 2 years. Luckily the staff decorated everything just perfect. It was such a relief that i didnt have to worry about those little details the day of the wedding.

I had dropped off our welcome baskets and were told the staff would deliver them to each room. As guests checked in i visited with a few family members in between getting may hair and make up done and was a bit disappointed to find these baskets delivered not in the condition i dropped them off. It was partially my fault because it wasnt an actual basket but a clear bag filled with goodies. I had made everything look neat and pretty in the bag before drop off but when they got the the room everything was all messed up inside the bag. Things were upside down and a bit out of order. It was something very minor but still got me a little upset as i had took so much time to make them look perfect and they werent delivered perfectly.

Our ceremony started at 5:30 pm on the porch. It was perfect. It was exactly how i wanted to get married. Our officiant brought a PA system which was needed because of the noise from the ocean and traffic. We also hired a string trio to play. They set up in the corner of the porch, i thought having the live music was a special touch. We had a short and very personal ceremony as our friends and family stood around us as we read our vows. It was the perfect ceremony for us. We didnt want to have a big to do at a church or get involved with having the ceremony on the beach. The porch was a no brainer as we didnt have to do much to prepare for it and a rehearsal dinner wasnt needed. Anyhow, after we were pronounced husband and wife we mingled for a minute then headed to the beach for pictures.

We had them set up a private cocktail hour for ourselves and our bridal party but did not get a chance to utilize it since we had one short hour for pictures. Looking back now, i wish i didnt have them go through the trouble in setting it up for us, but i didnt know any better at the time. At the time it was more important for us to get pictures on the beach then it was to eat! While we were taking our pictures the rest of the guests were enjoying the cocktail hour on the porch. Although i didnt get to enjoy the food i was told everything was great. We did not purchase any extra add on's during the cocktail hour and i dont think it was needed - the food was plentiful. I was told the staff was great and the bartenders were awesome.

Donna gathered everyone together and sent them into the ballroom while our bridal party got together for our big entrance. Our DJ was great and quickly went into our first dances. Donna was never far away if we needed her help or had any questions. The whole night went smoothly. The hours went quickly but we had plenty of time for mingling, dancing and eating. Our prime rib dishes were delicious. The guests also enjoyed the food and drinks (lots of them). I knew the night would go fast so my husband and i often stopped what we were doing to take it all in. I can truly say that although it went fast, we enjoyed every. single. second. We were outside talking to guests when the DJ grabbed us and told us it was time to cut the cake. I was disappointed that as we walked into the ballroom our cake cutting song was half over. So we cut it real quick, took some pictures and went on with the night. It took me forever to find the perfect cake cutting song so i was a bit upset that the whole cake cutting was so rushed. I do wish we were giving a warning that the cake cutting was coming up so we knew to stay in the ballroom. The positive part of the cake cutting experience was the actual cake. it was delicious and adorable! Before we knew it our night was over. Well our night at Breakers was over.

We had a ball but didnt want the party to stop so we had a shuttle pick us up and take us to a local pub. We continued the party there and had the shuttle return us the Breakers at 2 am when the bar closed.

It was the night of our life. I would recommend Breakers to anyone! Every step of the way was so easy and stress free. I wish i could do it all over again. We talked about it non stop on our honeymoon. We were just so pleased with pretty much EVERYTHING! I had the mind frame going into it that not everything would be perfect. I didnt want to freak out if something minor happened or is not everything went my way. I was pleasantly surprised that everything did go perfectly. Maybe it was because i had that mindset going into it, or maybe its because Breakers is awesome and everyone i worked with was so helpful.

We used a few vendors that Breakers recommended. Here are my short and sweet reviews.

Elite Entertainment - We used Tom For our DJ. he was awesome. He played just about every song we asked. We were quite picky with our music as we picked every single song from the entrance music to the dinner music to the dancing music. He followed out instructions and was great to work with. If you book Elite you wont have to worry about anything!

Music for the Moment - We booked them for our string trio. Im sure they did a wonderful job but since i was walking down that aisle in a bit of a haze i dont remember them even being there. I was told they did a great job. Unfortunately i didnt get to meet any of the musicians. They set up right before the ceremony while i was up the the room getting beautiful and broke everything down and left while we were taking pictures.

Del Pontes Bakery - They were great to work with. Our cake tasting was one of my favorite parts of planning. We went for the tasting and bought some pastries to take home. Everything was to die for. SO GOOD. We picked out our cake and did pay a little extra to get it exactly how i wanted. Our cake was so neat looking and delicious. They were great!

Olympic Limo - We used them for the after party shuttle. I booked them about a month before the wedding. They had the best prices in the area. The shuttle was a perfect size and very clean.

St Stephens Pub - Our after party location. Great place for irish food, drinks and live music. Joe the manager is great. We let him know ahead of time we would be coming there after the wedding. Everyone had a great time here. We will definitely visit the pub again in the future.

So thats it!! In my eyes they did a wonderful job. Besides the very minor things that disappointed me everything was great. They get two thumbs up from me!!

Thanks again to Terri and Donna!!

Feel free to message me me if you have any questions or would like to see pictures!

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple