“The Cornerstone of Rest and Relaxation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Lawrenceville
“The Cornerstone of Rest and Relaxation”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The exciting, yet exhausting journey of owning a family business in the Lawrenceville-Princeton area continues to make our family look forward to the paradise of rest and relaxation: The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake. For over a decade, we have thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful ambiance and picturesque views in which The Breakers has to offer. The owner and staff are always welcoming and hospitable. The restaurant manager, Larry, is fantastic and continually makes certain that each and every one of his guests is fully satisfied.

- Mr. & Mrs. Tom T.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOMT50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Hope, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Let's just say we thought made a smart choice by choosing the Breakers. Boy were we wrong! We got put up in what they call the Annex, it's a dump right next to the kitchen along side the dumpsters disconnected from the hotel itself. We walk in and got dripped on from the 1970's air conditioner unit from up above. That is where the kitchen staff stays! Can you believe they rent staff quarters to paying guests? We do believe our room was one of them. The carpet in our room was bunched up, the bed was older than dirt and we had to blast the TV to hear it over the roaring of the Air conditioner! This place is over rated and very misleading. Oh , and the pool was discusting, my 14 yr old neice would not even go in it. There were clumps of napking floating in the foggy water. Gross! The only thing we liked about the place was how easy it was to just walk to the ocean, but honestly I would rather pitch a tent on the beach and risk getting a fine than stay at the "Takers" EVER AGAIN!

6 Thank welv2vacay
Brewster, NY
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We just came back from our 4 day 3 night stay at The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake, NJ. This is our 4th time at The Breakers. Our first being in Oct. '07 for a wedding. Let me just say, make sure when you book a room, be sure to clearly state that you want a bathroom large enough to walk in and one that has a seperate stand-up shower in addition to the 6 foot high jacuzzi tub (it's not really six foot high, it's more like 2 or 2 1/2 feet high- but being 5' 1 1/2" AND having two young children to bath, it was a bit difficult to get in and out of) Last year we had a King Deluxe that was much nicer and larger than our room this year w/ 2 queens. The King Deluxe that we had, did have the stand up shower. Also, the air conditioner was DISGUSTING!!! It wasn't working quite right and we took it upon ourselves to clean it...MISTAKE...It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years! There were huge BLACK MOLD SPORES on the vent...YUCK! If I didn't have an allergy to mold, I probably have one now. The filter was completely blocked by mold, dust and other fuzzy things. ICK... but it is working much better now. :)

Now the location of this hotel is perfect. That's probably what's keeping them in busness. The beach right across the street and the pool at the hotel make this is a great beach location w/ two young children. (However, the pools could use a good scrubbing.) You can eat at the poolside. This is a bit costly but I guess you're paying for convenience. The restaurant food is fine. Complimentary coffee until 9am is nice. The town of Spring Lake is beautiful and walks to town are perfect.

All in all the location is great. The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift! (I noticed this last year and overlooked it giving them the benefit of the doubt.) New bathrooms with normal sized tubs would be wonderful. I would imagine the housekeeping staff would appreciate it b/c it would be easier to clean instead of the monsterous jaccuzzi tubs. In addition, since this is a "family friendly" place, it would be a whole lot easier to clean your children after a day at the beach.

I am only recommending this hotel b/c of it's convenience especially to families w/ young children...just be prepared to not be impressed by the rooms. Also, check to see if the menu is available online to prepare youself of their prices.

2 Thank bryanliz1
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I have stayed at the breakers since I was a young boy with my family and for the past 6 years I have taken my two kids down to spring lake. Sadly, when an extra cot was delivered to the room the person who delivered it took money from my daughters purse. I am letting all who stay there know this so you use the IN room safe they provide. I did not and was happy they only took $20. What was more concerning is the front desk said "oh that doesn't happen here" and left it at that. After 30 years of me staying at the Breakers, this was the last straw and I will travel further south and spend less money to stay at the Jersey Shore.

2 Thank chathamtraveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Read the other reviews - they are all spot on...the service is terrible. I have never rated a hotel before, but the awful treatment i received is causing me to rate this sham of a hotel. When we were checking in, we reserved a Luxury room, we got downgraded because they overbooked their hotel! The manager of the hotel yelled at me in the middle of the main lobby screaming that they "i should have checked in earlier" but it's pretty much too bad. What does my check-in time have to do with my room reservation? It was the same day! No refund of course...which blew my mind. No complimentary dinner, no apology. Nothing to even try to make it a better stay. I am shocked that they even stay in business with this type of service. Of course AFTER my stay I see the negative service reviews on Trip Advisor and I am shaking my head....who are these family-owners? Do they just not care? The staff at the front desk are not accomodating whatsoever. You would think they would be embarrassed by their mistake. Avoid this hotel. It's not worth it when there are plenty of other Spring Lake hotels that actually treat you like a paying customer

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank livefromap
NJ
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My husband and I had our wedding at The Breakers in August 2009. I regret not writing this sooner but I cannot begin to explain how happy we were with our day! Terri, our wedding coordinator, was fantastic. She was so helpful- always answered our questions, returned calls immediately, and was extremely professional. The staff was super professional and accomodating the day of our wedding. From the cocktail hour on the porch ( we had a beautiful day- breezy and comfortable for August!) to the very end we felt comfortable and we completely trusted the staff.

I felt the prices were reasonable for such a prime shore location, the room looked spectacular once our florist, Jerry Rose, and our party rental company, Party Rental ltd., worked their magic to make it look a little more colorful and elegant. The bathrooms are on the bottom floor but there is an elevator to take anyone who isn't able to maneuver the stairs.

We chose not to stay at the Breakers the night of our wedding because we found that blocking rooms there was a bit tricky- a bit pricey and our guests would have to make their room reservations a year in advance AND for the entire weekend. We decided to block rooms at another location with a bar and stay the night there. I'd say that this (trouble with room blocking) and a minor "back up" with the plumbing in the men's room at the end of the night were the only negatives.

The Breakers is a reasonably priced prime venue for an authentic Jersey Shore wedding. It was fun, classy, and well executed by the staff. Our guests are still talking about what a fantastic time they had- that and the swedish meatballs at the cocktail hour! Thanks Breakers!!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I stayed here in early June 2010. At first sight, the hotel seems okay. Our first problem was that our old fashioned air conditioning unit was set on low heat which was a wonderful welcome for a 90 degree day. We changed it to high cool but there was no coolness at all. This obviously affected the entire trip. The wine was not good quality so we didn't even try the food. There were many older people so I don't recommend for a younger crowd. They also have no gift shop at all so if you get sun burnt there is no aloe or if you forgot suntan lotion you cannot buy. Also, side ocean view is hardly a view at all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
#5 of 6 in Spring Lake
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!