“Very Convenient location - but needs renovation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
NY
“Very Convenient location - but needs renovation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Positives:
- Located directly across from the beach which was handy with a toddler.
- Complimentary beach passes given to guests but baked into the rather pricey rate.
- Convenient pool bar / food menu, not too pricey.
- Easy walk to downtown spring lake.

Negatives:
- No parking, fend for yourself on local streets during the beach season is not fun.
- Stayed on the second floor and could sing the words of the wedding music both weekend nights. The floor was literally throbbing from the DJ, stay on 3rd floor or higher.
- Room / B-room are in desperate need of updating. Carpets are run down and the decor is from 1980's.
- Expensive rate for what you get, but paying for location.
- Breakfast is ok at the hotel, can get better deals elsewhere.

2 Thank Jetsetter122

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Short Hills, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Unless you have children under 14 or are handicapped and must use an elevator, practically any place else in Spring Lake is a better bet. The Breakers is nothing but a glorified catering hall with one wedding or convention party after another. The veranda, which is supposed to be open for paying guiests (and the hotel is not cheap) and the lobby are frequently overrun by partygoers and there is no room for people who actually are paying money to stay there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jerseygirl2723
Lawrenceville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

The exciting, yet exhausting journey of owning a family business in the Lawrenceville-Princeton area continues to make our family look forward to the paradise of rest and relaxation: The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake. For over a decade, we have thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful ambiance and picturesque views in which The Breakers has to offer. The owner and staff are always welcoming and hospitable. The restaurant manager, Larry, is fantastic and continually makes certain that each and every one of his guests is fully satisfied.

- Mr. & Mrs. Tom T.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TOMT50
Hope, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

Let's just say we thought made a smart choice by choosing the Breakers. Boy were we wrong! We got put up in what they call the Annex, it's a dump right next to the kitchen along side the dumpsters disconnected from the hotel itself. We walk in and got dripped on from the 1970's air conditioner unit from up above. That is where the kitchen staff stays! Can you believe they rent staff quarters to paying guests? We do believe our room was one of them. The carpet in our room was bunched up, the bed was older than dirt and we had to blast the TV to hear it over the roaring of the Air conditioner! This place is over rated and very misleading. Oh , and the pool was discusting, my 14 yr old neice would not even go in it. There were clumps of napking floating in the foggy water. Gross! The only thing we liked about the place was how easy it was to just walk to the ocean, but honestly I would rather pitch a tent on the beach and risk getting a fine than stay at the "Takers" EVER AGAIN!

6 Thank welv2vacay
Brewster, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

We just came back from our 4 day 3 night stay at The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake, NJ. This is our 4th time at The Breakers. Our first being in Oct. '07 for a wedding. Let me just say, make sure when you book a room, be sure to clearly state that you want a bathroom large enough to walk in and one that has a seperate stand-up shower in addition to the 6 foot high jacuzzi tub (it's not really six foot high, it's more like 2 or 2 1/2 feet high- but being 5' 1 1/2" AND having two young children to bath, it was a bit difficult to get in and out of) Last year we had a King Deluxe that was much nicer and larger than our room this year w/ 2 queens. The King Deluxe that we had, did have the stand up shower. Also, the air conditioner was DISGUSTING!!! It wasn't working quite right and we took it upon ourselves to clean it...MISTAKE...It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years! There were huge BLACK MOLD SPORES on the vent...YUCK! If I didn't have an allergy to mold, I probably have one now. The filter was completely blocked by mold, dust and other fuzzy things. ICK... but it is working much better now. :)

Now the location of this hotel is perfect. That's probably what's keeping them in busness. The beach right across the street and the pool at the hotel make this is a great beach location w/ two young children. (However, the pools could use a good scrubbing.) You can eat at the poolside. This is a bit costly but I guess you're paying for convenience. The restaurant food is fine. Complimentary coffee until 9am is nice. The town of Spring Lake is beautiful and walks to town are perfect.

All in all the location is great. The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift! (I noticed this last year and overlooked it giving them the benefit of the doubt.) New bathrooms with normal sized tubs would be wonderful. I would imagine the housekeeping staff would appreciate it b/c it would be easier to clean instead of the monsterous jaccuzzi tubs. In addition, since this is a "family friendly" place, it would be a whole lot easier to clean your children after a day at the beach.

I am only recommending this hotel b/c of it's convenience especially to families w/ young children...just be prepared to not be impressed by the rooms. Also, check to see if the menu is available online to prepare youself of their prices.

2 Thank bryanliz1
Chatham, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

I have stayed at the breakers since I was a young boy with my family and for the past 6 years I have taken my two kids down to spring lake. Sadly, when an extra cot was delivered to the room the person who delivered it took money from my daughters purse. I am letting all who stay there know this so you use the IN room safe they provide. I did not and was happy they only took $20. What was more concerning is the front desk said "oh that doesn't happen here" and left it at that. After 30 years of me staying at the Breakers, this was the last straw and I will travel further south and spend less money to stay at the Jersey Shore.

2 Thank chathamtraveler
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

Read the other reviews - they are all spot on...the service is terrible. I have never rated a hotel before, but the awful treatment i received is causing me to rate this sham of a hotel. When we were checking in, we reserved a Luxury room, we got downgraded because they overbooked their hotel! The manager of the hotel yelled at me in the middle of the main lobby screaming that they "i should have checked in earlier" but it's pretty much too bad. What does my check-in time have to do with my room reservation? It was the same day! No refund of course...which blew my mind. No complimentary dinner, no apology. Nothing to even try to make it a better stay. I am shocked that they even stay in business with this type of service. Of course AFTER my stay I see the negative service reviews on Trip Advisor and I am shaking my head....who are these family-owners? Do they just not care? The staff at the front desk are not accomodating whatsoever. You would think they would be embarrassed by their mistake. Avoid this hotel. It's not worth it when there are plenty of other Spring Lake hotels that actually treat you like a paying customer

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!