“Buyer Beware! This place is B.Y.O.C. Bring Your Own Chair & it's a DUMP!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Lake
The Breakers on the Ocean
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 26 August 2010

BEWARE!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE! The Breakers advertises that it is Spring Lake's "Only Ocean Front RESORT Hotel" quoted straight from their website! "Ocean Front"? Yes. "Resort Hotel"? Not even close. Upon arrival we were not greeted by anyone at the drive up/ drop off entrance. Apparently the waiters in the restaurant also double as bell staff. We waited a while, but thought that was ok. Upon check in I was given my room keys and beach tags. I inquired about obtaining beach chairs / cabana rentals during our stay. I was told that there isn't any beach chair rentals at the "resort" or anywhere in the area, and that the hotel did not provide beach chairs. I was told to go to the local "True Value" and buy my own beach chairs, or travel further out onto the highway to find a walmart or Target. I expressed how ridiculous this was and that I was disappointed and would have definitely brought chairs from home. I told them that I lived 1 hour away and have a garage full of beach chairs and that I thought someone should have told me in advance, or it should have been posted on their website. I told the girl at the desk that I would be going on "Trip Advisor" to alert other future patrons that they'd need to bring a chair. Nonetheless, we left and bought beach chairs at the True Value. When we returned to the hotel I asked to see the manager I had hardly began to speak when he cut me off, rolled his eyes and said, " Oh, are you the woman who just THREATENED to go on Trip Advisor? !!!". How unprofessional, how confrontational! An arguement ensued from there. He was determined to win and continued to insult me. He argued and argued with me and insisted that they could not be responsible for letting people know that there are no beach chairs or beach chair rentals. He said that the website can't possibly contain every little tidbit of information that someone might be looking for. I'm not asking for directions to the Eiffel Tower from the Jersey Shore, I'm not asking for the whereabouts of "Snookie", I'm asking for BEACH AMMENITIES at your "OCEAN FRONT RESORT"! This guy was belligerent. I wasn't asking for him to do anything except get this info out to future patrons and all he could do is argue on behalf of the hotel. Finally I walked away and went to my room. It was a DUMP, and I tell you a DUMP. The halls smell foul, the room was dingy and dirty. I immediately returned to the front desk and checked out on the grounds that he insulted me and called me the "Woman who threatened to go on T.A.". ( thank god he insulted me! he did me a huge favor!) Do not stay at this place!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jmama_10

Reviewed 24 August 2010

This hotel truly is disgusting. From it's staff to the horrible 1970s air-conditioning units that do not work, to the most horrible carpeting that smells like mildew I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The discieving quaint sign and curb appeal does not warrant the prices they charge. We paid 300 a night and were better off at a Motel 6. The food is overpriced and you can get better service at a local dinner.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank BeachGoer81
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Positives:
- Located directly across from the beach which was handy with a toddler.
- Complimentary beach passes given to guests but baked into the rather pricey rate.
- Convenient pool bar / food menu, not too pricey.
- Easy walk to downtown spring lake.

Negatives:
- No parking, fend for yourself on local streets during the beach season is not fun.
- Stayed on the second floor and could sing the words of the wedding music both weekend nights. The floor was literally throbbing from the DJ, stay on 3rd floor or higher.
- Room / B-room are in desperate need of updating. Carpets are run down and the decor is from 1980's.
- Expensive rate for what you get, but paying for location.
- Breakfast is ok at the hotel, can get better deals elsewhere.

3  Thank Jetsetter122
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Unless you have children under 14 or are handicapped and must use an elevator, practically any place else in Spring Lake is a better bet. The Breakers is nothing but a glorified catering hall with one wedding or convention party after another. The veranda, which is supposed to be open for paying guiests (and the hotel is not cheap) and the lobby are frequently overrun by partygoers and there is no room for people who actually are paying money to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jerseygirl2723
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The exciting, yet exhausting journey of owning a family business in the Lawrenceville-Princeton area continues to make our family look forward to the paradise of rest and relaxation: The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake. For over a decade, we have thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful ambiance and picturesque views in which The Breakers has to offer. The owner and staff are always welcoming and hospitable. The restaurant manager, Larry, is fantastic and continually makes certain that each and every one of his guests is fully satisfied.

- Mr. & Mrs. Tom T.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TOMT50
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Let's just say we thought made a smart choice by choosing the Breakers. Boy were we wrong! We got put up in what they call the Annex, it's a dump right next to the kitchen along side the dumpsters disconnected from the hotel itself. We walk in and got dripped on from the 1970's air conditioner unit from up above. That is where the kitchen staff stays! Can you believe they rent staff quarters to paying guests? We do believe our room was one of them. The carpet in our room was bunched up, the bed was older than dirt and we had to blast the TV to hear it over the roaring of the Air conditioner! This place is over rated and very misleading. Oh , and the pool was discusting, my 14 yr old neice would not even go in it. There were clumps of napking floating in the foggy water. Gross! The only thing we liked about the place was how easy it was to just walk to the ocean, but honestly I would rather pitch a tent on the beach and risk getting a fine than stay at the "Takers" EVER AGAIN!

6  Thank welv2vacay
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We just came back from our 4 day 3 night stay at The Breakers on the Ocean in Spring Lake, NJ. This is our 4th time at The Breakers. Our first being in Oct. '07 for a wedding. Let me just say, make sure when you book a room, be sure to clearly state that you want a bathroom large enough to walk in and one that has a seperate stand-up shower in addition to the 6 foot high jacuzzi tub (it's not really six foot high, it's more like 2 or 2 1/2 feet high- but being 5' 1 1/2" AND having two young children to bath, it was a bit difficult to get in and out of) Last year we had a King Deluxe that was much nicer and larger than our room this year w/ 2 queens. The King Deluxe that we had, did have the stand up shower. Also, the air conditioner was DISGUSTING!!! It wasn't working quite right and we took it upon ourselves to clean it...MISTAKE...It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years! There were huge BLACK MOLD SPORES on the vent...YUCK! If I didn't have an allergy to mold, I probably have one now. The filter was completely blocked by mold, dust and other fuzzy things. ICK... but it is working much better now. :)

Now the location of this hotel is perfect. That's probably what's keeping them in busness. The beach right across the street and the pool at the hotel make this is a great beach location w/ two young children. (However, the pools could use a good scrubbing.) You can eat at the poolside. This is a bit costly but I guess you're paying for convenience. The restaurant food is fine. Complimentary coffee until 9am is nice. The town of Spring Lake is beautiful and walks to town are perfect.

All in all the location is great. The hotel is in desperate need of a facelift! (I noticed this last year and overlooked it giving them the benefit of the doubt.) New bathrooms with normal sized tubs would be wonderful. I would imagine the housekeeping staff would appreciate it b/c it would be easier to clean instead of the monsterous jaccuzzi tubs. In addition, since this is a "family friendly" place, it would be a whole lot easier to clean your children after a day at the beach.

I am only recommending this hotel b/c of it's convenience especially to families w/ young children...just be prepared to not be impressed by the rooms. Also, check to see if the menu is available online to prepare youself of their prices.

2  Thank bryanliz1
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to The Breakers on the Ocean? Share your experiences!