“Dirty, dingy and dreadful!”
Review of Doolan's

Doolan's
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed at this “hotel” the weekend of June 1st, 2012 for a wedding. I say “hotel” because they charge hotel prices for poor motel quality. If we weren’t there for a wedding I would have left. The only nice thing about this motel is the main lobby. It is the only area that looks like it has been updated since the 80’s. The rooms have wallpaper that is peeling. The rooms are tiny and the carpet and bedding are not clean. We had a room with two double beds which one bed was pushed up against one wall and the other bed was pushed up against the other wall and there still wasn’t much room in between the beds. Each room seemed to have different furniture and features. Our room had a small flat screen TV, but two other rooms had regular old TV’s. Our room had a remote that controlled nothing, but it was attached to the side table. We had no alarm clock, while another room had an alarm clock. Our room had a desk, though two other rooms did not have a desk. It seemed that they didn’t have enough of everything to go around. They do give you a bunch of towels which I thought was great, but now I know why. The towels are so thin you need to use a couple and I am not a big girl. The bathroom has bare light bulbs and there is a tiny sink that has a cabinet below that the door is crooked. They do not have separate shampoo and conditioner, plus it doesn’t come in a bottle in comes in a packet like a ketchup packet.They clearly don't clean often because there was soap in the shower that wasn't ours. I have included pictures so you can see on your own. My friend’s room had cinder blocks on their ceiling and they were only on the second floor. They also had a hole in their shower that gushed water out of it when the shower is on. As an FYI the 1st floor is actually below ground, you go down stairs to get to your room.
If the quality of the rooms is poor, the customer service is atrocious! They clearly do not care about having customers return, which is good because you couldn’t pay me or anyone else in our party to go there again. When I made the reservation for the room I wanted two adjoining rooms, I was informed that the only adjoining rooms they have are pool side to parking lot side. (The pool side is more expensive). I went ahead and booked one of each. Upon check-in we were placed in two parking lot rooms which were adjoining. I had to go back to check-in and mention this to them, they told me then they did not have pool to parking lot adjoining rooms, even though in the room I could see a door that connects to a pool side room. I also asked for rooms that had 1 king bed instead of two double beds. They informed us that they do not have rooms with a king bed. However later that day I stopped by a friends room and they had a king bed. My friend had ordered a gift certificate online however left it at home. She called home and got the number on the gift card. They informed her that they could not take it, that it had to be swiped. However they do have paper gift certificates that obviously can’t be swiped, plus when they charge you they manually enter your credit card number because they don’t have anything to swipe the card with. My friend even spoke to the manager who was incredibly rude and refused to offer her any type of service. Upon check-out they tried to charge me for the full amount of the room, I explained that they had already charged me a one night deposit. They told me they didn’t show that and I would have to tell them the day that they charged me. I said that I did not have the day, but it would be the day they mailed me the receipt. They informed me that they did not have that info and could only confirm if I left a deposit if I gave them the day they charged me. Clearly they have amazing bookkeeping skills there. I finally said to just forget it, to charge me in full and I would just dispute the charge with my bank. They overcharged my other friend as well. The only saving grace was an employee “Nicole” who called me about 40 minutes later and let me know that she found my initial charge and credited back my card for the difference.
The bottom line is I would never stay here again. I would never suggest it as a place for friends to stay. I may not even suggest it to people I don’t like. This is a beach town and I am sure there has to be a million better places to stay at. For the amount of money you spend on the room I expect better quality, service and cleanliness. They should begin using all that money to actually renovate the rooms and to teach customer service to their employees and to their manager. Don’t ever stay here!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maydreamscometrue

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just got back from our reunion last week and everyone loved Doolan's. It was a great stay. The Room was very nice and the Food was surperb! We are retired Travel Agents and plan on returning very soon! Our Reunion will become an Annual one in Doolan's! Thank you Sue & Joan for your hospitality! See you soon. Dianne & John O'Sullivan from City Island.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed at Doolan's four nights last week with a group of friends and now plan on making it an annual tradition. Room was comfortable and restaurant was excellent - a terrific value in the very beautiful town of Spring Lake. Is a great spot to plan a reunion. As nice or nicer than Cape May and a much easier commute for anyone driving from NY. Highly recommend!!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We enjoyed another fun weekend here. This time we stayed in a room in the main building; it was more of a suite with a small living area & couch that pulled out into a bed of need be. The room had been updated & redecorated to be more modern and upscale than your typical Jersey Shore motel. It still wasn’t 5 stars but it remains one of the best values in Spring Lake.

I do wish the owners would update the bathroom fixtures. The handles on the bathroom sink were starburst pattern but the edges made it painful to get the good grip needed to fully shut off the water.

The included breakfast buffet is still a tasty treat.

We will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dalm0m
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Location! Location! Location! I lived in Spring Lake for 7 years and it's nice to have somewhere nice to go when I come back home. The staff was friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with complimentary wine and cheese. They accommodated our early checkin request and when we stayed two additional nights, we were so pleasantly pleased that we didn't need to change rooms. We enjoyed the Happy Hour which had $5.00 top shelf martini's before going to dinner. They have a wide selection of fish, steak, and lamb. Additionally, we enjoyed a light menu which was also available at the bar. We love the early bird special, it's the best dinner value at the shore. The service is attentive and professional...as nice any fine restaurant in the city. Yes, I know there are some bad reviews written on this site but I didn't see a single bug in my room, around the pool, restaurant, or lobby despite being there for two weeks. Okay, the rooms are bit outdated but they are spacious and clean ....allows them to keep the rates reasonable. The entertainment is old school, it's nice to see folks rippin up the dance floor. We are trying to get squeezed in to do a girls weekend! Congratulations to Susan and her family for a job well done. Can't wait to come back. ----The Mell Family

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Annie R
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am told that a lot has been done to update the catering area of this establishment in recent years, semmingly much to the detriment of their accomodations, which are dreadfully outdated. The exterior walkways (which are unavoidable due to the motor-lodge layout) are rife with insects. Flies and moths being attracted by lights, I can understand. But there were dead bugs everywhere and huge spiderwebs that were there all weekend, one which i had to duck many times to avoid. The tiny lobby where the tiny front desk is had some karaoke or something going on, which made communicating with the receptionist (for whom i had to wait 5 minutes) extremely difficult. The room was musty and uncomfortable.

I have had family in Spring Lake all my life and always passed by Doolans as a child, wondering what it would be like to stay at what i thought was such a neat looking place (as a kid). I was very disappointed with my stay. The rates are outrageous comared to what you get. I would have written this rating last year when i stayed if I had known how relatively high it's TripAdvisor score is compared to what i experienced. Doing my part to help people avoid my disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We had a nice time at Doolans this June . We had an excellent meal at the resturant , The rooms were large and comfortable. They were clean and the staff was very helpful. I would love to return some day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
#3 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
La Quinta Inn West Long Branch
La Quinta Inn West Long Branch
#2 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!