“WHAT A GREAT SPOT”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Apex, North Carolina
“WHAT A GREAT SPOT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is my second stay at Doolans. I can't say enough about the service, food and rooms. I come from North Carolina to meet friends and will never stay anywhere else. Rooms are updated, clean and so well maintained. The restaurant was unbelievable with the highest quality and so reasonable. Can't wait to come back next July. Already booked!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Just had 4 great nights at Doolans. Rooms were newly renovated, complimentary breakfast excellent and satisfying. Filet Mignon dinner w/chocolate lava cake was the best. I thought I was in a 5 star restaurant. Can't wait to return next year.

Room Tip: 1st floor room have been renovated into suites. you get 2 bathrooms, living room with large tv and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Doolan's is a bargain in every respect. The attractive, clean rooms are $75 off season and only $95 between July and August. The price includes a continental breakfast! The on premise restaurant is elegant and affordable. The pan seared steak was cooked to perfection as was the sea bass ordered by my travel companion. I and another patron agreed it was one of the best steaks we had ever eaten. We were impressed by the quality of front desk service where we met Joanie, Bob,Tom and Nicole, and by the charming and everywhere at once owner, Susan. The beautiful hostess, Vanessa, made everyone feel welcome. We've told all of our friends about Doolan's. The exterior is still being renovated, but don't let that stop you from discovering a real gem only short drive from the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed on the parking lot side which was fine, but for next time we booked a pool side room. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I recently returned from a ten day stay at Doolan's Shore Club and had a wonderful time. The owners, Joanie and Susan Doolan, as well as the staff, were always willing to please. They went out of their way to make my stay more comfortable and enjoyable. I started my day with a complimentary continental breakfast which provided a variety of pastry, bagels, juices, coffee, etc.... I learned that a hot buffet breakfast is complimentary during the months of July and August.

My room was located on the first floor poolside which was recently decorated. The room had a nautical theme and was furnished with a couch, chair and a huge flat screen T.V. in the living room. In addition, there was a flat screen T.V. in the bedroom and had two bathrooms which was an absolute plus!

The pool area is surrounded by beautiful flowers, lounge chairs, and a few tables and chairs. The pool was clean and refreshing! The restaurant and lobby are also decorated nicely! Where there is entertainment, the lobby transfers into a dining area and dance floor. The entertainment is live music which is very good! You can dine, just have drinks or a light snack.

The restaurant, The Shore Club Grill, was delicious for both breakfast and dinner. The early bird dinner had delicious filet mignon and fried scallops which are my favorite and the prices were very reasonable. This menu included soup or salad, the main entrée and dessert. So treat yourself to a stay at Doolan's and enjoy beautiful Spring Lake! This is a great hotel!!

Room Tip: First level pool side was very convenient and you were almost always guaranteed a table and chairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank susan c
PALM BEACH GARDENS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We were at Doolan's for the wedding of our nephew. One's first impression is not so good. The structure is clearly quite worn. The check in revealed a completely unorganized appearance of the reception desk, with papers and things generally in a disorganized way. However the check-in process was swift. To be fair, rooms are being renovated, but in a rather utilitarian style. While our bathroom was redone, the toilet had not been bolted to the floor. Don't look for glitz. The pool is large and appeared to be in okay shape, though not ready for swimmers.

On a positive note, the staff was helpful, and the renovations will help the general condition of the rooms. Room costs were below several other area hotels. The food served at the wedding cocktail hour and dinner, was excellent. Those of us ordering the filet mignon actually had it brought out as ordered...rare, medium, etc. Vegetables were fresh and well prepared. I think summer revelers, or those seeking a venue for a large function will find Doolan's okay.

Room Tip: Our room was a ground level pool side room. The renovation created a large suite effect...removal o...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ROGER M
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

We purchased a two night mid-week package on Travel Zoo (which we have done with other Spring Lake hotels in the past. It’s good for them and good for us. For $20 more for the two nights we were originally offered “recently renovated” rooms. We decided to take the standard one.
Know going in that there are several reasons this business is here. The primary one is as a Banquet and catering operation. Yesterday alone (our 2nd of three days at Doolan’s) there were 2 afternoon and 2 evening events with hundreds of people in the large – well decorated room. You enter the banquet rooms through the nicely appointed lobby which has a bar.
Then there is the “motel” section which has both older and newer rooms. As I said, we took the older. The room was clean and did have a “shore odor” common when near ocean. But we left the door open a little and it aired out. There is an air conditioner in the wall like most motels and it can blow strongly on the bed and be a bit noisy. But we had a real bargain on the room and it was at least equal to a nice Red Roof property. The TV was a 17 incher (not flat screen) but it got over 100 cable channels. There was a hair dryer but the two outlets in the bathroom didn’t work. I informed them the first morning and hoped they would fix but it wasn’t when we left the third day (and I’m not sure the morning desk person really cared.) Also the lighting in the room is not conducive to reading. There are three lamps (one on each side of the bed and one on the dresser. One lamp had a burned out bulb and needed to be replaced. I went to front desk and Jennifer – the one on at night) was able to find me one so I could replace it.

One night dinner was included in our stay and went to their public dining room – which is far from fancy. But the food was great and fairly priced for quantity. Everything comes with soup or salad and these are not ordinary salads. One had greens and fried goat cheese and portabella mushrooms and pine nuts with the mesculun. Another had Walnuts, Cranberries and Gorgonzola Cheese with field greens. And large! We each had the 9 oz Filet and it was superb. Service (Oxana and Alex) were great. )

Now they use the same room for the included Continental Breakfast. Here they really let me down. It is served from 8-10 am and the first morning they were out of bagels and cut fruit by 8:15 but – finally at 8:45 the one worker I saw brought more bagels and fruit. There was hope. This morning – the 3rd day – there was one really working in the room. There was no yogurt or cream cheese (for the bagels) and I had to go to the front desk – where the front desk clerk found some cream cheese but no yogurt and the fruit salad bowl was empty and not refilled. This was, again at about 8:30. Others commented on this lack of “hospitality too”. The banquet rooms were all being set up beautifully by the banquet staff – obviously a different part of the operation.
Dolan’s is located a straight .6 mile drive to the beach and boardwalk. Even though there was some major damage last fall from the Hurricane, Spring Lake did fully replace the boardwalk. Not the benches but the beach and boardwalk are fully usable.
We go in May/June and Sept/Oct to Spring Lake every year. If offered the deal we got this time we would return to stay at Doolan’s Shore Club. We might even have dinner there again. But at regular prices, we didn’t feel the management cared about “motel guests” enough to probably return.

Oh By the way, IF you are staying here, go a few lights north on Rt 71 to Hoffman's Ice Cream. HUGE portions (a "small" contains 2-3 dips!) of great ice cream at great price! We go there EVERY visit to Spring Lake.

Room Tip: Either upgrade to a fancier one or choose one near the back - away from the highway. Ours was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SteveinPhilly
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I attended a wedding, which was great fun, The food was fantastic and the staff very nice. However, the check-in process was strange as there was no signage indicating check-in or anything else for that matter (sorry I work for an architectural signage company). Once we checked in their records stated I owed money, but in fact I had prepaid, which was suggested when I made my reservation (very odd). The room keys reminded me of the old data cards for the IBM computers. When we opened the door we were flabbergasted by the condition of the room; musty smell, peeling wallpaper, worn and dated furniture, stained carpet and chairs, and an open loft space that looked dusty and cob web laden. There was a very eerie feel to the room, and we didn't feel comfortable. Fortunately, we were too busy trying to get ready for the wedding to care, but upon leaving the next morning we vowed we would not stay here again. Even if we had to attend a wedding there, we would find another hotel in the area. So I say I'm on the fence because they do a great job with weddings but the other end of the hospitality spectrum leaves a lot to be desired. And by the way, where were these re-done rooms?????

Room Tip: Apparently there are remodeled rooms, ask for one!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Sea Girt
Atlantic Inn & Suites
Atlantic Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Wall Township

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!