“Good for a Party, not for a potty”
Review of Doolan's

Doolan's
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Apparently, Doolan's specializes in senior citizen gatherings. Nothing wrong with that. We were there for an Italian festival and had a great time. Live band and good dance music- including electric slide, Sinatra type vocalist who was quite good and an Italian comic who was very appealing. The food was okay- plenty of roast sirloin and edible.
That being said: 300 frolicking senior citizens, carousing, drinking, and only 3 stalls in the ladies' room. Please... With 1 for handicap?
Renovation is called for.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank 5pumpkin

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We did the groupon andenjoyed the stay...had drinks in the lounge with the bartender who was friendly...and enjoyed a walk around town...met some people out around the pool and had two good dinners in the dining room including the prime rib night

Room Tip: There are rooms facing the parking lot and rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy J
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This place was so filthy and sleazy I was stunned that it was in Spring Lake. Given the area, I expected better. This place is stuck in the 90's, which was probably the last time it was a good spot to go to. Now it's just tacky and unclean.

The bartender was pretty good, but the food was awful and the entertainment was laughably ridiculous. The rooms were so disgusting we almost left. It was an alright price for the area, but a ripoff given what it actually looked like.

Also, I'm not sure what to call their prison version of a pool, but it's the most absurd thing I've ever seen. There's a wrought iron fence around the perimeter of the entire pool! You can't even sit on the side and dip your feet in! I wouldn't be surprised if someone drowned there or something. Just avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Globalgirl47
Susan0700, Owner at Doolan's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback . As you can see from our many recent favorable reviews, we have completed many updates to our facility since your visit. I can assure you we are investing in our future and working very hard to make each guest's visit to the shore a pleasurable memory. I also truly would like the opportunity to discuss your dining experience. As we usually receive favorable reviews about our food, it is most important for me to learn of any negative experiences for my operations to continually improve itself. Again, I thank you for your comments and wish to personally hear from you. Sincerely, Susan Doolan

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My first time at Doolan's was when I was 17 years old. I'm turning "60" in a couple of months. I have been coming down here that many years.And never stayed anywhere else. It has always been my favorite "Ever" hotel in Spring Lake. My family and I can't say enough about how wonderful the staff/Management is. Add to this, They just re-did many rooms with the best mattress's/ pillows ever, beautiful décor. We can't wait to go back again!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kateian11
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Pleasently surprised by the excellent service, friendly staff, great restaurant at this Monmouth County shore classic. Very good value in the fall, winter, and spring, and fair pricing even in the summer for such a convenient location.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good, yet it's very convenient for the deluxe rooms in the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chickenpipe
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Doolan’s for 2 nights as part of a weekend getaway for my finance’s birthday from 9/29 to 10/1 and we had a really nice time there. We took advantage of a Travel Zoo special for a 2 night stay that included a $50 dinning credit at their restaurant as well as discounted room rate. I was a little wary when we first pulled up as the building looked a bit dated and it had a “motel” feel to it with rooms that were not inside the building. We opted for an upgraded room (for a fee) from the standard room so we were in the rooms that were inside the main building. We checked into room 166 and the room looked exactly like the picture on the website and was clearly updated recently. The room it self was large and clean, with a king size bed, a flat screen TV, and a mini fridge. The bathroom was ok, appears to be recently updated with new light fixtures, along newer sink and shower.

We used our $50 dinning at the restaurant on Sunday as my fiancée’s birthday dinner since the restaurant was closed on Monday and Tuesdays, and we had a wonderful meal there. The staff was very friendly and our dinner was excellent. I had requested a candle to be placed on a desert for my fiancée and the staff was very accommodating and even sang for her at the end, which was great. The food was excellent, and prices were moderate (entrees were around $30). At the end of the dinner I had accidently left my credit card with the bill, and as soon as we got back to my room, the phone rang and the front desk informed me I could get the card at the front desk. Another example of the great customer service they provided. The lobby and the hallway are still a bit outdated and could use a bit of a refresh, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. They do offer a free breakfast each morning with fresh fruit, cold cereal, bagels and some pastries, it was ok, and we were able to grab a little something each morning before we left for the day.

We had never been to Spring Lake, but we had a nice time in the area. We visited Point Pleasant and the boardwalk which was a lot of fun, granted it was mostly geared towards families with small children with all the rides, but it was nice and only about 10 mins away. We also drove to Sandy Hook, which was about 40 mins north and was able to see the NYC skyline from North Beach. It was great since it was offseason and the beaches were clean and very peaceful. We actually went back the next day and had a picnic on the beach.

Overall, it was a great experience and a great deal and we really enjoyed our stay at Doolan’s. We noticed at least 5 other couples at dinner on Sunday that also had the Travel Zoo vouchers as well, so clearly the deal drew in the crowds that might not have otherwise come to Doolan’s (including us). We would definitely return as a change of scenery from the Cape May and Ocean City!

Room Tip: Ask for a upgraded room in the main building
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yeh642
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We spent a couple of night's at Doolan's Shore Club. The hotel staff and facilities were great. We will definitely stay there again when we go to Spring Lake. Spring Lake is great, too. Nice quiet beach and several nice golf courses, including par 3 courses.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for the first floor, but good luck. We were told all of the first floor rooms are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Atlantic Inn & Suites
Atlantic Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Wall Township

Been to Doolan's? Share your experiences!