“Nice and comfortable....but some draw backs.”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed for two nites this past week end in Room # 6 (second floor - with balcony). Room was spacious, check in was very friendly and room clean and comfortable bed. All would rate above average.
Drawbacks were room directly above ours hearing the person walk across thier room was a little bit of a test on my nerves. Secondly as mentione din previous reviews the breakfast was a complete bomb! Stale breads, thawed frozen Sysco danishs, warm OJ, plastic plates, cups,silverware made the European breakfast grade and F. I even went over to another premium B& B just three blocks away and found a comfortable sitting room with TV's, multiple daily papers at NC and a European breakfast with fresh danishes, fruits, yogurts, cereals to help get you going.
The offering of rental bikes would also be a huge advantange for future guests as this is a loevly town.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I do appreciate your nice comments about the staff and their service.
We are constantly looking for new ideas to upgrade our breakfast and I am sorry that we did not meet your needs. As we do not have a kitchen, we are sometimes limited as to what we can offer, however, we should take care that what we do offer is fresh for our guests.

I do hope that you will stay with us again and that we will be able to offer you a fresher more updated breakfast.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Considering the options in the area, Hewitt Wellington offers the best value. Good location -- 5 minute walk to beach, 12 minute walk to town. To be fair, all the hotels/B&Bs in the area need to be updated. For the prices they charge during high season: the breakfast was underwhelming, the towels in the room need to be changed out (some were so worn they were unraveling), and the wall paper was bubbling on the walls, plus I overheard staff frequently complaining about either each other or how messy a guest's room was left (lame -- just keep it to staff quarters, rule #`1 in hospitality). Hewitt Wellington is probably the best deal/quality you'll get in the area, but don't expect luxury accommodations or an overly friendly staff. The staff is there to work and you are there to pay for an overpriced bed, and you'll have a wonderful experience it you accept that going into your stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so sorry that you encountered these concerns during your stay with us. We do try to provide our guests with the best possible experience when staying with us and we clearly fell below the bar with your stay. I will make sure to share your comments with the staff as we try to grow and learn to provide a better atmosphere.
I do hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future and please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything else you would like to share.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We were married in Spring Lake and so were prepared to enjoy. Reservations were fine, The room was big with a sitting room plus bedroom - pleasant decor - not your typical motel chain furniture etc. . We had a couple of questions and needed some info. That was quickly and easily handled by the front desk. Location is super; right on the lake and looking at the ocean. Add good weather and it was a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank climber06
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm so glad that you had a nice stay with us and we hope you will come back again soon to spend more time relaxing and having fun. We do look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in Spring Lake for a weekend wedding. I chose HW for the positive reviews and proximity to the ocean along with the reasonable price. We stayed in Room 6 on 2nd floor which is very spacious and a walk out balcony with views of the lake - very peaceful. The AC worked fine, water pressure good, and room was very clean. The king bed was very comfortable. I would rate the room excellent. The hotel is only 2 blocks from the ocean with plenty of parking. Where the experience became below average was first during the check-in. The young attendant had a poor attitude and could not get me in and out fast enough. I had to ask several questions to get the information I needed such as beach passes and breakfast location. Second, the breakfast. I would rank it worse than your Hampton Inn. There are plastic cups and plates, stewed coffee, stale bagels and muffins, and a small assortment of cereals. Nothing hot or fresh. It says European cold breakfast - I've been to Europe and this is no European breakfast. Half way into our breakfast, we decided to go find a real breakfast establishment. If you're looking for a nice room and a great location with a good price, this will meet your needs. If you're looking for the full B&B experience, you won't get it here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I do appreciate our guests taking the time to let me know how their stay was. I'm sorry that we did not quite meet your expectations. We do strive to offer the best in hospitality to our guests and I will review your comments with the desk team so we can work on a better service.
As to the breakfast, unfortunately, we do not have a kitchen and we are therefore unable to offer hot food items. We do, however, try to offer the best we are able to for our guests.
Please feel free to call or email me directly if you have any other questions or comments about your stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Excellent experience!! The complimentary breakfast made every morning easier (and cheaper). Cheese and crackers in the afternoon are always a great way to spend the 3 o'clock hour. Friendly staff, clean rooms and great location (across from the lake and 3.5 minute walk to the beach). I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JSN1025
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We are all so happy that you had a great time and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Family tradition of running the Spring Lake 5 miler brought us here for Memorial Day weekend. Recently, we relocated to NY so we thought a nice beach weekend paired with the race would be a great way to kick off the summer season. Located right across from the lake between the train station and beach, it's a perfect location! Typically, this hotel would have had us stay a minimum of 3 nights which we couldn't do as I had to work on Memorial Day. Luckily, because of a special booking request that brought the owners in on Sunday, we were able to book 2 nights, pure luck and timing. While the hotel was a bit pricey for a little shore town, we thought it was a good value because it came with breakfast and daily beach passes.

We stayed in room 14 which was one of the two rooms that were on the top floor with a large balcony and a peak of the ocean. Had it not rained both days, we would have loved this! The room itself was modest and furnished with appropriate furniture for the character of the boutique hotel. It was a 3rd floor walk up, so if you don't like stairs this is not the room for you. I liked that there was a mini fridge for water and Gatorade and there were two packets of sun block, nice little extra. Plus, on Saturday there was complimentary cheese and crackers which we were personally called by the manager and told. It was good for a snack after the race. The staff was friendly.

The reason I give this hotel an average rating is for the room itself. There was a queen size bed when it could have easily been a king. The bed itself was so squeaky that any time one of us moved we woke the other up, this was almost a deal breaker . The bed definitely needs to be replaced. There were not enough outlets in the room either and no ironing board. The iron also didn't get hot enough anyway. The shade on the door was a bit difficult to deal with and was hanging off by the time we left. Also, there was no safe.

The bathroom was ok. There is a weird ledge separating the bathroom from the rug in the main room. I tripped on it a few times because I simply kept forgetting it was there. My husband thought he broke his toe on it too! Dangerous. There was no where to put my toiletries in the bathroom either. Some corner shelving would be great. Lastly, the shower head was broken and basically just streamed out in a sporadic way, quite annoying.

The TV... I am not sure what was going on there. It was a nice size flat screen but something was off with it. We couldn't figure it out. Since it rained both days we ended up watching movies. They all looked like bootleg poor quality videos. But they were on cable and channels like HBO, but things like people being cut off or the picture wasn't centered was occurring. Strange.

The hotel has a lot if charm and could be great , but for almost $600 for two nights, it leaves a bit to be desired. If some if those issues are addressed, we'd consider staying again.

Room Tip: Top floor has ocean glimpse.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm sorry that you had some concerns with your room and we will look into replacing / repairing items that you mentioned. We would certainly love for you to come back and stay with us again. Call us ahead of time and we will see what we can do about ordering some perfect weather for you (though we make no guarantees)

Reviewed 24 May 2013

My 2 daughters and I stayed one night in Room 18 last summer. The HW seemed like a nice old hotel, until we went to bed, after being out of our room all day. My daughters slept in the bedroom, and I slept in the living room on the pull-out sofa. Problem: I was sleeping on top of the hotel air conditioning compressor! My bed shook all night long! All night, the compressor turned on, ran for a few minutes, turned off, vibrating my room and bed, and making a loud sound. In the bedroom, the vibration wasn't as bad, but my daughters could hear the compressor turn on and off all night.
The hotel was booked solid, it was a very hot, humid night. That room never should have been booked, especially for 3 people, during air conditioning season. I thought it may have been an honest mistake, but when I spoke to the manager, Bill, the next morning, he admitted he knew exactly what the problem was. I was shocked that he NEVER offered any kind of apology. Only excuses that it was an old hotel, what did I expect? I have never had a similar experience in customer service. I demanded a discount on my bill, which we negotiated. Would you believe he even stiffed me on that? I had to email him and complain again. And again, NO APOLOGY!
Spring Lake is such a great place to visit, and so many other hotels to choose from. This was such a bad experience, I would never try the HW again. I see another reviewer mention that there is a new manager, I hope this is true. This is the worst treatment I have ever received in any hotel in my whole life! A simple apology would have gone a long way.

Room Tip: Room 18 is directly on top of the AC compressor for the entire hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank clarechloe c
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to review us about your stay and I'm sorry you did not have as wonderful of a time as we would like. I did review your reservation with us from last August and there were two rebates done to your credit card, one on 8/1012 and the other on 8/16/12. Please call me at the hotel if these rebates do not reflect on your statement as I want to make sure you do receive them.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again as we do have a wonderful hotel in a great location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!