“Beautiful historic hotel”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Spent July21, 2013, at the Hewitt Wellington. The hotel is lovely, historic and in a really fantastic location, adjacent to the lake, 3 short blocks to beach or town. Room furnishing was adequate, could be spruced up more, continental breakfast was poor, coffee undrinkable. For a beautiful hotel like this they should provide a better quality breakfast, doesn't have to be fancy, but good quality.The restaurant Whispers, although not technically affiliated with the hotel, was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. I appreciate your kind words about your stay overall. I'm sorry that our breakfast did not seem up to par for you and we are always looking for new ideas to make the breakfast better for our guests. We have recently added the fruit and baked goods to enhance our products. We will keep looking for new and better items and if you have any suggestions, please feel free to call or email me. You may just be the one with the winning idea.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Nice shore hotel.

The room came with 2 beach passes. Either we lost one or the check in clerk only gave us one, nobody knows for sure.

I offered to split the price of the lost pass, paying half in cash and accepting a credit toward a future stay for their half. The hotel manager said "no". I ultimately offered to pay the entire cost ($105) if they'd let us use the pool on our next day trip to the shore. This also was refused. When I asked what the hotel was willing to do to work with us on this, the answer was "nothing".

There are plenty of shore hotels just as nice where management is interested in working with guests when problems occur. Next time I'll stay at one of them.

3  Thank LewMaltby
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Mr. Maltby,
It is certainly not that we don't want to try to work with guests when things go wrong and I am sorry that the offer I made in the last email exchange was not acceptable to you. Though I did not hear back from you after that email, I do intend on honoring the resolution I informed you of.
I do hope that in the future you would reconsider staying with us, but if you are set against that, I am at least happy that you were able to stop back at the hotel to retrieve your companion’s musical instrument. I’m sure realizing that was missing caused a moment of panic and I’m glad we were able to retrieve that for you.
Please feel free to call or email me should you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hewitt Wellington and it was our second trip there. Overall we had a very good experience but there were a few things that we think could have been done better.

1. We thought it was strange that the "beach chairs" the hotel provides were the type that require you to sit upright high above the ground as though you are sitting at at table. We prefer the type that sit low to the ground and recline so that we can relax at the beach. Luckily, the girl at the front desk was so kind and went to the basement to find some like that for us. We would recommend that the hotel keep a mix of both types of chairs available for guests.
2. We asked for late check out and we were told that we could not have it because someone else was going to be checking into our room. On the morning of checkout, we asked again whether we could keep the room for late checkout and they told us that the guests that were going to be using that room had already arrived and checked in (at 10am) and that we had to be out by 11am. Additionally, they told us that we had to give back our beach badges because they had to give those badges to the people checking into our room. After buying our own beach badges and spending the day at the beach, we showered outside in the pool area since we could not use our room. (We recommend providing some sort of indoor shower area for guests to use after they have already checked out.) Then I realized I had left something in the room and the front desk gave me a key to go look for it and said that no one was using that room so I could just let myself in. This was at 5pm. I was pretty furious that we had been lied to when they told us that we couldn't have late check out, couldn't use our beach badges, and couldn't use the shower in our room because the other guests had already arrived to use their room at 10am.
3. I recommend providing a large jug of ice water for guests to use in the lobby area. There was water out last year and it makes a big difference. Even if it is tap water, it would be nice to have cold water to drink or to fill our water bottles with during our stay. Also, we loved the waffle maker that was out for breakfast last year and missed it this year.

Room Tip: We loved room 14. We had a private balcony with a lake view and a seating area inside as well.
1  Thank Lauren P
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

I appreciate you reviewing your stay with us.
I can see where it was upsetting to you regarding the beach badges and your room. I can assure you that you were not lied to. The guests for that room were in the hotel early and wanting to check in. The room was not cleaned yet for them so we gave them the beach badges you had returned and the guests were at the beach when you needed to see if something had been left in the room. The room was definitely being utilized the day you were checking out, just not at the moment you were looking for your belongings.

Though we do not offer the waffles for breakfast any longer, we do have bottled water available in our vending area for guests as well as the refrigerators in each room.

I'm sorry that you feel we did not provide a great stay for you but do hope that you will continue to return. Please feel free to call or email me should you have any other questions or concerns.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Kathy you were onwderfully charming and Kelly as well. Thank your for your hospitality.
But a few things we found that could use examination.

The breakfast years back would have a surpue quiche or other home made good which was absent.
The tea time break of one day nachos and the other cookies was underwhelming. Not that we are not appreciative of things free but it was minimalistic at best.

Babies, whom we love (we have 8 grandchildren and two in diapers) must wear swimmies if going into the pool. You must insist on this or run the risk of health issues, shutting the pool down for days or other issues too numerous to define here. (I know the swimming pool business well).BTW the pool service company came when I was there. I saw her vacuum...period....no checking of water chemistry....a real problem.

The room #28 was touted, by Nicole, as recently redone ....other than the couch, I cannot imagine what was redone. The bed is way too soft and the carpet clean but far from new. What was redone?....a mystery.

The place is quaint well situated, clean and friendly. I am not saying there is better but even the best can improve and strive for even greater heights.

Be well....live well

Rich Chitos (BB)
(Please do not poison me on my next visit)

Room Tip: Views of the lake are great

Rich,
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us and it seems as though overall you had a great time. With the breakfast, I'm not sure how a quiche would have been served as we do not have a kitchen to cook one in. Whispers, though attached to us, is a separate entity so we do not have use of those facilities. I will certainly ask around though and see if anyone remembers how that may have been done. I love to try new things for the breakfast.
We love kids as well, and I can see where you have concerns which I will address. Our pool is remotely monitored for chemical levels and adjustments can be made at the pool company offices. That is why the girl you saw only did the vacuuming and was not testing chemicals.
We do try to offer what we have dubbed "Snicky Snacks" for our guests. They are light snacks set out to give you a little boost between lunch and dinner, just some cheese and crackers or chips and salsa, that type of thing. I am always open to suggestions for light snacks if it is something we are able to do.

I hope that we will see you again, please feel free to call or email me with any other suggestions or concerns.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful location and nicely furnished and presented. We had a lake view room with a balcony, the only drawback for us, and this has nothing to do with the hotel, was that it was too hot to sit outside due to the heatwave this weekend. I had read some reviews about the breakfast but it was fine for a Continental style breakfast, maybe the addition of some cold cuts and cheese might be helpful. I have certainly had worse in France. Now, the downside of our trip was Spring Lake itself. it is a beautiful, Well maintained town but, if your idea of fun is sitting in a pavement cafe, drinking a beer or glass or wine and people watching, then don't go. This town is virtually dry. There were liquor stores where you could buy your own, but then you had to drink it in your hotel. The Hewitt Wellington has a very smart restaurant which has a BYOB policy, when you don't know what you are going to eat, how do you know which wine you want to drink? We did have an enjoyable weekend, the hotel was great, but not enough going on for us. Bear in mind that we are in our 60s, so not party goers, but we do like to sit outside and drink a beer whilst on our trips.

Room Tip: We were in room 14 which is on the top floor, with a lake view and wonderful balcony with comfortabl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I love that you enjoyed the hotel as well as Whispers. I'm sorry that you weren't able to enjoy an adult beverage in the town. There are places in town that do offer beverage service and depending on what you are exactly in the mood for, some are within walking distance. The next time you will be joining us, please feel free to call or email me ahead of time and we can do some research for you to see what you may enjoy.

See you again soon!

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hewitt Wellington. Spring Lake is a beautiful town with a pristine beach and new boardwalk. Kathy is SO nice and helpful. We stayed in a large suite on the third floor. Even though we didn't have a lake view, the view was fine. The pull out couch could use updating but we didn't have any complaints from our kids. The continental breakfast offered is good if you are not a big breakfast eater. Whispers will do take out if you don't want to dine there.

Families with children are very welcome. It has a B & B feel without being a B & B.

We arrived by train but I would strongly suggest having a car. Taxis are very expensive and public transit is hard to come by. We rented a car in nearby Asbury Park and they picked us up from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words about your stay. I'm so glad that you seem to have really had a nice couple of days. Hopefully you will be able to join us again soon. Keep in mind, we are open year round and Spring Lake is just as lovely in the winter as the summer.....perhaps just a little cooler.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Parking setup is poor. Guests should identify their cars so that the space hogs (over the lines) can be called to remedy the situation. Breakfast is too scant for the price; also should be available at 7:am. Need new towels,

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Lubecjohn
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for writing about your stay. While it seems you enjoyed your stay overall, you also had some concerns and I appreciate you letting us know. The front desk informed me of your suggestion about parking and we will certainly try to monitor the situation better in the future. We are always trying to update our hotel to make it more enjoyable for our guests and welcome all thoughts and ideas.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!