“Loved the warmth of this hotel!”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Lake
Muncy, Pennsylvania
“Loved the warmth of this hotel!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at the Hewitt Wellington Hotel in Spring Lake, New Jersey. We were pleasantly surprised at the immaculate condition and ambiance of this 100+ year hotel. The lobby and breakfast area were very tasteful. Our room had a private balcony and a beautiful view of the Lake and a small view of the Atlantic. The bed was comfy and the water pressure in the shower....divine! The manager exuded a most pleasant and welcoming personality. Kathy gave us great tips on restaurants and events of the town. She went out of her way to ensure we had everything we needed during our stay. Although the weather wasn't the best, we loved walking around Spring Lake and taking in the gorgeous homes and vibe of this lovely community. We'll be back soon and we will be reserving the same room at the Hewitt Wellington.

Room Tip: We loved the comfortable balcony in Room 6. There is no elevator. If steps are a problem, contact...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and I'm so glad you had a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Enjoyed the great location and overall charm of this hotel. Would have given another star if not for the completely useless sofa sleeper in the room. I selected Room 18 because it could sleep two people who wanted their own beds, with a sofa sleeper and a separate bedroom. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable to me and the bedroom was nice. In addition to needing a new sleeper sofa (the sofa looks old and the sofa bed is all spring and no decent padding), the living room needs a general overhaul (loose wall outlets, old carpet). There is also a bad smell in the bathroom. Though clean, there is a smell of sewage. Could possibly be helped by a much stronger bathroom fan to exhaust out the air. I think the smell is due to an unseen problem. The manager, Kathy, was very nice and accommodating and tried to get a pad to improve the sofa bed, but it really was beyond help. The units are individually owned and the management can't force owners to update them. Kathy never said that, but it is clear having individual owners presents a challenge in keeping the rooms nicely and comfortably furnished.

Room Tip: Don't plan on sleeping on the sleeper sofa in Room 18 unless you can verify it has been replaced...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. The owners actually stopped by to visit a day or two after you checked out and we discussed the room as well as your comments and they are in fact searching for a better sofa mattress right away. I wish we could have gotten that replaced prior to your stay and I hope that the padding helped at least a bit.

Please let me know the next time you will be in town so we can get your reservation taken care of.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Overall a good stay and I would recommend it to someone else. Nothing amazing but nothing negative. Nice size rooms and good service. The common areas were pretty and there was a good breakfast. Kind of strange, but none of the furniture in the room matched.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am happy that you are considering another stay with us and certainly look forward to that. Our rooms have the unique tastes of our owners in most of the decorating scheme which is part of the charm of the hotel. For your next visit, if you would like to either call me directly or visit our website where you can view pictures of all the rooms and choose the room you would like to stay in. Either way, we want to make sure you are happy with your stay.

Colrain, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 October 2013

For the price we paid I'd have expected an inn with some class.
Unfortunately the owners seem to take the cheap way out whether it be bathroom remodeling or decorating.The town of Spring Lake is beautiful, and the boardwalk goes on for miles, packed with runners, bicycles, strollers. The town shops weren't as artsy as I expected they'd be.

Room Tip: This is a beautiful old inn in an outstanding location on the New Jersery shore, however a bit of a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I'm sorry that you were not as happy with our hotel as we would have liked you to be. Though I can assure you that our owners do not take the "cheap way out" there are certainly items that need to be updated and we are working with our owners during the off season to make sure these are taken care of.

I do hope that you will be able to return when room updates have been completed. Please feel free to call or email me directly to book your next reservation.

Thank you for letting me know about your stay, I do appreciate it.
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The hotel is charming - from the outside. We sat on the porch with a beautiful view of the lake, coffee cups in hand. Inside is a different story; the bed linens are awful, the pillows are foam rubber and lumpy; the bath towels are almost threadbare, scratchy and poor quality. The breakfast was similar to a cheap motel, plastic plates and utensils. The lighting in the room was dismal, probably 40 watt bulbs. This could be a wonderful place to stay, but it needs a real, serious shake up.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2. Because it had a sitting room, I would recommend it. But not before it was r...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LucyLuChapelHill_NC
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I appreciate you letting me know about your stay with us and I'm sorry that you were not happy with it. I will certainly review all of our linens again as we just purchased new items less than a month ago so they definitely should not be in the condition you have described. I am not sure if you had mentioned anything to us during your stay about the lighting, etc but if not, I do wish you had. If it was not a simple fix with the dimmer switch on the lighting in that particular room, I would have been more than happy to do whatever was needed to get you brighter lights. We want our guests to enjoy their stay with us and will do what we can to make that happen.
With regard to the breakfast, in not having a kitchen to work with, we are just not able to offer our guests china and silverware for the continental breakfast.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again and hope that you will call me directly for that booking. That way I can make sure you have the type of room that you will absolutely love.

Quantico, Virginia
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is quite possibly the best in Spring Lake. It is in a perfect location - walking distance to the beach, churches and town center. The prices were very reasonable during off season and the room I stayed in (#6) had a large balcony patio over looking the lake and a bit of the Atlantic with wicker furniture that could have easily accommodated 6 people. The bathroom looked recently renovated and had outstanding water pressure and temp. The hotel manager, Cathy, was extremely attentive and personally welcomed me in and made me feel at home. She did as much as she could to meet any unique needs I had during my stay.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm so glad that you had a great stay with us. Hopefully you will spend your next visit with us relaxing and not working. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Yardely
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We really like coming to Spring Lake. We have discovered the Hewitt Wellington from our visits to Whisper's Restaurant, our favorite. The most recent stay was in a suite on the first floor. It was spacious, clean and lovely. We had our own private porch. Diner at Whisper's was delicious and returning to our beautiful suite after a walk on the beach topped off the evening.

Room Tip: The rooms with private porch or balcony are great for watching the sunrise or sunset, cocktails bef...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
I am so happy that you discovered our little slice of heaven on the lake. Suite 2 is just one of our great rooms and the private porch is wonderful. Sunrise / Sunset on the lake is something we look forward to every day.
I hope that we will see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#4 of 8 in Spring Lake
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ocean Place Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!