“Romantic weekend getaway from the city”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at The Hewitt Wellington Hotel for a weekend to celebrate his birthday and it was amazing! It was a beautiful fall weekend and the weather was quite warm. We enjoyed the beach which was walking distance from the hotel, biked along the boardwalk all the way to Bradley Beach, and walked around town. The location of the hotel was superb and we liked our lakeview balcony very much. Highly recommended for people who would like to explore the real Jersey!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed staying with us and celebrating your boyfriends birthday. We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We spent a recent fall weekend at the Hotel, booked in the first floor suite. The decor was charming, as were the hallways and sitting areas. The porch looked like a wonderful place to hang out in warmer weather. The beach is a few minutes walk, though the lake is just across the street. We had a delicious, but somewhat pricey meal at Whispers, an attached property, and modest breakfasts in the breezeway. The pool looked inviting, but was covered. Staff was courteous and efficient from the reservation to the end of the stay. The individual rooms are owned privately, but rented on behalf of the owners. A walk or ride through the nearby streets shows off many fine, old homes -- and no apparent commercial development.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are premium. Rooms backing onto the pool area might be noisy in season.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. I'm so glad that you had a nice time with us and we look forward to having you as a guest again.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I thought the property was charming and the staff so very friendly. We were a little disappointed in our room in that the carpet had stains on it and it made you think things weren't as clean as they should be. Perhaps these stains couldn't be lifted, but then maybe new carpet would be in order. I would suggest that they move the paint cans in the one and only small closet too. It got a little crowded with long hanging garments that we had brought along. Overall, a good experience in a beautiful old hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

I appreciate you letting us know about your stay. I'm sorry that it wasn't as wonderful as we try to make it. We do use the off season to take care of many things and upgrade rooms to keep them fresh. Please feel free to call or email me directly for your next visit and I will help you choose the room that will best suit your needs.
We do look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Hewitt Wellington in Spring Lake NJ. It was very enjoyable. The place was clean and restful. The staff was helpful. The other guests were friendly. It is a great Jersey Shore town...quiet, peaceful, relaxing. I will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed in room 8 on the second floor with a large living room overlooking the lake and a king size bed - very comfortable. Great Victorian building with wrap around porch and nice sitting areas. One of the best restaurants in the area also located on premises. The maid appeared at our room and I indicated we were leaving in a couple minutes. When we came back that evening the room hadn't been serviced. We got some clean towels and it didn't affect our stay. Perhaps there was some miscommunication.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a nice large balcony, others a separate living room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for letting me know about your stay. I do apologize for the confusion on your room and will work with housekeeping to make sure they go back and double check any rooms prior to leaving to see if service is requested by our guests. For your next visit, please also feel free to inform the desk when you are leaving and that you would like service so we can get that taken care of before your return.
We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The suite was very nice , with period piece furnishings with two tiny closets. Air conditioning/heat was comfortable as was the bed.
The bathroom was fine, but amenities were on the skimpy side. For example, we did not know that lotion was offered until the last day when it appeared in the bathroom. The shampoo, soap and cond. we're not replaced until there was virtually none left. Tissues were very thin and you had to use two at a time. The hair dryer kept conking out and I had to keep resetting it. Finally gave up. Bring your own!
Breakfast was continental and
was available in the breezeway.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay. Though it seems that overall you had a great time, I do apologize for the inconveniences you did have. We strive to give our guests a perfect stay and it seems we fell a bit short. However, by you letting me know, it helps us to continually improve our services.
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Surprised my wife for our 27th wedding anniversary by staying at the Hewitt Wellington, Room 8. I also booked the Wine and Dine package , which was a $50 gift card to Whispers Restaurant (on premises) and a bottle of wine with dinner. The desk staff took care of all of the arrangements and confirmed that everything was in place for our dinner. It was a nasty, windy, rainy day outside, but the warmth and charm was most evident inside the Hewitt Wellington. Having never stayed here before, I was most surprised by the size, comfort and amenities. Our room afforded us a magnificent lake view which wasn't really appreciated until the next morning, when the rain had stopped and the sun was shining brightly, glistening off the lake.
The night before, it was so windy and rainy, that the wind was whistling through the lakefront window. I notified the front desk staff and they were most apologetic. I made temporary repairs to the window by placing a small piece of cardboard in the window track to seal it better. The sound was most appropriate for Halloween (lol). The décor of the room was eclectic but cheery. I was surprised that the coax cable for the TV's was just placed along the baseboard going from room to room and was not secured. The cable outlet on the wall, next to the bed, was loose and sticking out. These are easy fixes. The continental breakfast the next morning was plentiful and delicious. Upon checkout, the desk staff was most congenial and assured us that the window issue would be dealt with. A definite, "will stay again".

Room Tip: Choose a room with either a balcony or lake view or both.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dennis S
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for letting me know about your stay. I'm really glad that you were happy with your stay here.

I can confirm that we have fixed the window so it no longer howls at you as well as other concerns you had mentioned. We are awaiting your return to us for another getaway. (You don't even have to wait for your anniversary.)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!