“VERY tired, VERY average”
Review of Hewitt Wellington

Hewitt Wellington
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As much as I would love to rate this higher, and 3 stars is pushing it, I'd say more like 2 1/4 stars, I can't offer more. The Hewitt is VERY TIRED!!! The place needs some SERIOUS makeover, like SIMPLE things; painting, decorating - just a breath of fresh air. The staleness of it all does not present like a CLEAN facility. Our room was large, which was great because we had a last minute reservation, but there was no toilet paper, the hanger on the walls in the bathroom for towels fell off the minute a towel was hung, revealing the "IKEA" brand on the hanger. Carpet looked like it had not been cleaned in YEARS, and for some odd reason, there was blood (or something similar) on a white curtain that needed DESPERATE attention!!

I will say that the staff at the front desk were as accommodating as they could be, they were nice, friendly and helpful, but that could be the most positive comment that I could offer.

I don't mean for this review to be scathing, because that is not my intention, but the place needs a breath of FRESH air to get the stale out of the place.

BEAUTIFUL location however, and nice property.

Room Tip: Cycle 54 picks up and delivers bikes - excellent place to rent!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to review us. I'm sorry that you did not have a great stay with us as your first visit here. There are definitely some items that you mentioned that should have been taken care of right away. I wish that you had let me know when we were talking at the desk about the towel hook as we certainly would have taken care of that immediately.
Some items, such as painting, have to be put off until the off season and we do spend that time refreshing the hotel overall.
I am glad that you recommended Cycle 54 as an alternative when Pedal Away is down to a pink girls bike. I agree that your son would not have been too pleased to have to ride that.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Planned last minute, we were delighted to find this spot. While our room (the last available) was fairly small, it was well maintained and neatly decorated... had large bathroom, mini fridge and rooms stayed nice and cool on the hot shore days.

Front desk staff was friendly and professional. Made sure we had what we needed each day--provided beach passes, towels and recommendations. The hotel had an enormous wrap around deck and was perfectly set directly on Spring Lake. Two days were entertained by remote control sailboat regattas on the lake--fun!

Room Tip: 16 was small but still good value for price and location.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your last minute getaway with us. I agree, the boats are really fun to watch especially while enjoying our front porch. I hope you will be able to plan many getaways with us in the future.
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Beautiful location! The staff could not be nicer! Family stayed in different rooms. Some of the bathrooms had black mold in the corners and walls of the shower (little bleach by cleaning staff would clean out). One of the rooms the bed was sunk down in the center. Some of the details like shades missing and curtains tied back in knots was a bit of a turn off. Breakfast is frozen fruit thawed with water in the bottom of the bowl, store bought crumb cake cut in squares... definitely could use improvement but I wouldn't mind going out if other improvements were made. Place needs some sprucing up, nothing major but more attention to finer details. I will return hoping owners and cleaning staff make improvements. Front desk staff was great!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Brittsic

Thank you for taking time to review your stay and let us know how things were. I apologize that we did not give you the best we have to offer. I appreciate you letting us know where we fell short as we are able to constantly learn and grow to become better.
The housekeeping concerns have already been addressed with the staff and we have discussed the best course of action to better stay on top of these things.
I have also shared your nice comments about the desk staff with them as it is important to me that they know they are doing well.
I do hope that you will be able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is probably our 5th or 6th year staying there in Room # 11. Had a great stay as usual. The only minor problem which was no big deal is that they didn't give us enough towels for 3 people so we had to ask every day. Kathy was very helpful at 11 PM when we didn't have any hot water in our room and was very apologetic and fixed the problem right away. We will be back again next year for sure!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

It was great seeing you again and I appreciate you reviewing your stay. I'm hoping we get to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Charming boutique Victorian hotel with fine dining in the adjoining restaurant, Whispers. Excellent location -- complimentary parking, right on the lake, only ~2-3 short blocks from the beach, and a pleasant ~15-minute walk across the lake to the town center. Comfortable room with a king bed, ceiling fan, and large bathroom (shelving unit in the bathroom in disrepair). Relaxing wrap-around porch (slightly worn wicker furniture) off the lobby with great lake views. Only disappointments were the size of the pool (quite small) and lousy continental breakfast (bagels should be *much* better for an NJ property). Drawbacks were outweighed by the location, service and absolute deliciousness of the dinner at Whispers (reputed as the best restaurant in town and exceeded expectations!).

Room Tip: On a weekend night, stay in a room a little further from the entrance to Whispers. The restaurant ca...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jay M

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I'm glad that overall you had a great time with us and enjoyed your room, the hotel and the town. I'm sorry you were not happy with the pool size but space and location did limit us from putting in more of a lap pool size. Hopefully you were still able to enjoy relaxing around the poolside and going for a quick dip.

We do hope to see you again!!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Location, location, location! We stayed in a suite on the ground floor with a private porch and view of the lake. Walking distance to the beach, town, the most beautiful church I have ever been in - what more could you ask for?! The pool in back is a perfect way to end the day. We will definitely be back-:)

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a suite.
1  Thank Julie M

Thank you for reviewing your stay. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Impressive hotel from the street...boutique like when you walk in. Friendly but small staff. We arrived early and we were able to check in...perfect. (Appreciated that). Thought it was a great idea to provide beach chairs, beach towels and beach tag...that saved a lot and we greatly appreciated that amenity. Our first day we were only able to get one good beach chair...the other was a folding sports chair. But the next day we got our beach chairs early and got two good ones. Our room looked cozy and nice when we walked in the room...huge bathroom. We had one of the smaller rooms. Surprisingly NO place to sit down other than on the bed. The TV was not a flat screen...old fat one. The bathroom was huge but lots of wasted space...it was far from luxurious. A few ant traps around our room was a big negative...kinda concerning. Carpet was a tad worn...but kept well. I can see this hotel was once very modern for its time. Small refrig in the room and very tiny coffee pot. It was nice to have the pool available...and great after a day at the beach. Complimentary breakfast was disappointing. No fresh fruit as mentioned since their delivery did not arrive. Front desk girl multi tasked and tried to replenish things at the breakfast bar but still a bit disorganized. One four slice toaster kept several waiting in line. We still were happy to have the convenience of a breakfast bar and we did find a few things but unfortunately, it was one of the worst. Huge front porch to hang out or nice comfy sitting room on the first floor if preferring indoors. The best part about this hotel was the location. It is about a 13 min walk to the little town center and less then two blocks from the beach. The area is perfect for strolling around. Never had an issue with parking as there are spaces provided. Still a good place to stay...the positives out weigh the negatives.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Kathy T, General Manager at Hewitt Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I'm so glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us. I do apologize for the lack of more breakfast items for you, that was poor planning on my part and should not have happened.
We do try to make as many room upgrades as possible during the off season and then maintain those during peak season. I appreciate your feedback as this helps us to make sure we provide what our guests want and need.
I do hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Hewitt Wellington? Share your experiences!