“Abbondanza”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We brought 13 family members for dinner over the Memorial Day weekend. Cosimo, the owner, took care of us like we were a collection of his own relatives. The food was delicious, kept on coming, and was accompanied by a hospitable touch of comedy and entertainment, courtesy of the staff. By the end of the evening we were fed to full and thoroughly happy with the entire event. Fortunately, you only pay for the meal, not the impromptue amusement.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

As we were driving to Spring Lake from NY I did a quick search on my mobile phone (I was passenger =-) ) and the comments about the overall experience led me to call and see if there was a last minute opening for 2 ppl. Well I called the number and the owner/chef answered himself. With his charming and thick Tuscan accent he described what he was planning to cook for the evening, asked if it was ok and of course although I didnt understand too clearly, I said Yes! He actually called me back to confirm that it was ok for me to come. Well it was raining that evening and no one else showed up. So we had the restaurant to ourselves. Can you imagine. We offered to leave but he had already set the table and was happy that we were there to share his company. He kept saying dont worry , its ok - so that put me at ease. A bit nervous at first but it was Amazing. He was sooo personable. And just kept bringing new delicious plates of food. Uncorked our wine (BYOB), then offered from his own personal supply b/c it might go well with the dishes. Seriously this was by far one of the BEST DINING EXPERIENCES WE'VE EVER HAD.

1. The food - OMG !!! The best salad ever. The pasta dish was so fresh. The meatballs were to die for. The rosted chicken - I have been trying to repeat at home and not even close to being as good. The DESSERT.....like a cloud in our mouths.

2. The ambiance

3. Cosimo himself is more than enough reason to stop into this place. We'll be back and next time with the kids, b/c by the end of dinner we knew all about eachother and he was looking forward to meeting them.

4. The neighborhood is so serene and beautiful.

5. The price - Again OMG..... the quality of the food was so good and we had at least 4 courses and wine and cappacino's so when he said less than 80 bucks I was floored. We'll be back!!

If you are visiting Spring Lake must try.

2  Thank kahawtho
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you go to an early lunch there is no crowd and you get to talk to the owner/chef. He is very bubbly and gives a history of the paintings for sale on his walls from local artists. His food is great. Everything homemade and no menu, whatever he wants to cook for the day is what is available. Everything is excellant.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stopped by in the late morning for a cappuccino (which was delicious) and ended up eating two sandwiches. Everything was fresh and tasty, and Cosimo is a delight to talk to. As we were leaving to head back home to north Jersey, Cosimo brought out a freshly cooked platter of chicken marinated in balsamic vinegar and it smelled so tempting I brought some home with me. Fabulous! I also noticed their special prix fixe meals for Christmas and New Year's Eve … sorry we don't live closer. Just one little thing … on the door it's posted they have Wifi, which is a great convenience for travelers, and unfortunately Cosimo didn't know the password. It'd be nice if he'd keep it written down somewhere so people could use it when they're having coffee.

2  Thank BA-in-NJ
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Right on the main street in Spring Lake, we just went in for "a bite" and a hot beverage and got a whole lot more. Owned and run by an authentic Italian, with Italian music playing, it is more of a self-serve bistro (there is a server, but you go to the counter to put your order in, which is then brought to you). Delicious food! We had the lentil soup and an Italian salad - all freshly made fare. Dinner was available later on, and although there is no alcohol (in all of Spring Lake it's BYO) you can bring in a bottle of wine. The owner was passionate, and the food was great!

2  Thank Susan B