“Worse meal & service”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jersey Avenue
Transit: Local Monmouth County bus service runs on 3rd Avenue. Taxi service readily available. NJ Transit train Station for Spring Lake within walking distance.
Description: Pastaio is the Italian word for "pasta maker" which reflects our Chef's experience working as Pastaio for restaurants in New York including Eataly, where she would turn out roughly 3,000 pounds weekly. We now bring fresh handmade pasta daily to the Jersey Shore incorporating the freshest seasonal ingredients to our menu that changes each week. At Pastaio we strive to support our local produce, fish and meat, purveyors on an organic and sustainable basis. Our Menu reflects our kitchen staff experience with classical french training and the bounty of the Garden State. We are proud to utilize Pat LaFrieda Meats of New York for our meat and poultry. Ask about having your next event in our Private Party Room which can accommodate up to 50. Gluten Free Meatballs and fresh Gluten Free Pasta Available.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Was seated @6:15, didn't see waiter for at least 20 minutes...and it proceeded to get worse. Bread arrived with a tomato gelatin aspic, thought bread was olive bread, nope raisin and hard as a rock. Was informed they ran out of regular bread. I guess there was a sale on basil because everything was over seasoned with basil. Ordered shrimp parm, looked like overdone fried shrimp,drizzled w/sauce & couldn't find the cheese. Barely saw wait staff. Other guests walked out. Do not go!!!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our first visit to this restaurant on Valentine's Day was a terrible experience. We got there at 6:30 and didn't get out until 9:15! The service was very slow, we watched other people get served before us who came in after us. We waited 1 1/2 hrs. for dinner. The foie gras what quite fatty and unappetizing. The duck was too salty to eat and the halibut very dry. The portions were so small and all for $65pp. Obviously the chef is over her head with this type of cooking, but I feel we were blatantly ripped off. No one ever asked us if everything was ok and no one asked if we wanted coffee, nothing. I will never return to this restaurant and don't know why some of these reviews are good. Just awful and ruined our Valentine's Day. No stars for this one.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

At $27 for pasta you expect service to be there and it is just non existent. This is my fourth visit the last three have not been good, and I don't think i will go back. the food is good- burratta, costini with ricotta, cockles, orcheitte have been very good. My recent experience on a quiet night (the 1st room was full about 26 guests, the second dining room where i was, was empty) There was no one to greet us at the door and we waited 9 minutes before " the interrogation" began- Do you have a reservation?, really you are 1/2 full how about a nice welcome, seat us, fix your computer later. We were seated in an empty dining room around 8:15, no music (broken, i used my iphone and pandora for some atmosphere), the server did not approach us until 8:37, again no greeting she took my wine to open and brought back a carafe of water- didn,t even pour the first glass! Then in taking the order she thought we were given the wrong menu as she questioned my order, got so wrapped up in the fact she screwed my order up. I ordered chix parm with pasta i got it with croquettes and veg...this place is known for its pasta... I brought it to a servers attention, who brought back our server i said just bring the pasta on the side. When i got the check my chicken parm was $40...they charged me for the side of pasta that was part of what I actually ordered. I was highly insulted, brought to the attention of the server who made no apology, corrected the check and took the credit card payment. I tipped only because it is christmas, and if they don,t have a clue and continue to offer service they will not be here for next summer,s season. Really to bad, its a small restaurant and with a little attention and someone in charge of the floor it could be a big hit. The food is good, but you can not sustain $27 pasta dishes with no one making the customers feel the love.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Our first visit to Pastaio and we certainly were NOT DISAPPOINTED. We were greeted by the owner Brian and seated in the window with a great view of Spring Lake. The ambiance with perfect lighting, and exquisite historic brick walls, serves this restaurant well. Brian recommended several homemade dishes, however we all opted for the meatballs and pasta. I make excellent meatballs so this was definitely a challenge and they surpass any that I have ever had. Brian and his lovely wife Lisa, the Chief (she has been making pasta for a very famous chief in New York for years.) are a wonderful combination. Don't miss the opportunity to try Pastaio. Best time to get reservations would probably be in Winter and Spring. Summer it is always packed. Bon Appetite. Ginger and Hugh Stuart FL and Spring Lake long time residents!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I had dinner with my parents here a few days ago. We were excited to find something new with an experienced Chef, having worked at Eataly in NYC. I even brought a 100 Point wine anticipating a great dining experience. Well the wine was awesome. However the meal was far from awesome and so was the service. Our waitress was nowhere to be seen for most of our meal. They never cleared our appetizer plates until dinner was served. Not sure what makes the meatballs famous, they were much to large, had too much garlic and were served in tasteless sauce with overcooked pasta. My lasagna with Bechamel was dry and inedible. I can't believe anyone would actually put it on a plate and serve it, it was just so bad. The only good meal was a stuffed chicken breast with mashed potatoes. Go figure for an Italian restaurant. The bill came and we were shocked how much it cost for such a lousy meal and invisible service. Stay away and don't waste your money or appetite.

1  Thank Tammy L