“Always wanted to try it but should not have”
Review of Black Trumpet

Black Trumpet
Ranked #13 of 27 Restaurants in Spring Lake
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Always wanted to try it but should not have”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Went for breakfast and what I got was a dirty coffee cup and a waitress that never stopped talking about the dolphins (real ones' ). Scrambled eggs with lobster was good but was spoiled by the dry hard cold toast. Would think twice before I would go back..

3 Thank Joe625

New Jersey
“Nothing to rave about”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

One of the highly recommended restaurants on the NJ shore we expected great food, good service, and a unique ambiance.

What we got was the "size them up" during the walk-up to the hostess and as we were coming straight from the beach (we didn't swim, so we were dry and clean, just not done-up), the available outside tables were not available to us.

We were seated inside at the odd table that doesn't really fit there but exists in many restaurants. The waiter seemed to be rushed throughout the visit and continuously had the need to interrupt and talk over us.

The food was tasty and adequately presented, but not appropriately so to justify the price. The portion size was comparatively small.

The ambiance is similar to other quaint or older, established restaurants. To avoid misunderstanding, the restaurant is well maintained and was not affected by storm Sandy, so there is no moldy smell or such unpleasant effect.

I cannot recommend another restaurant in the area, but I certainly will not visit the Black Trumpet if I end up in Spring Lake again.

2 Thank wersonst
Spring Lake, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“serious summer attitude!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Over the years I have eaten many meals at the Black Trumpet. We celebrated many family events while it was housed on Salem Ave. We regularly dine at their Ocean Ave location. My most recent visits, both within the last month, were dismal. The staff had a horrific attitude when I dined with a group of women, all who live locally and have frequented the restaurant as well. I went on a Monday night and the hostess shouted at us "Do you have a reservation?" Not, "Hello, or "Can I help you?". I am aware that we live in a busy seaside town, but it is never acceptable to be rude, or allow your wait staff to be arrogant. The food is good, and the views are special, it is a shame the service and hostess have spoiled my taste for the Black Trumpet.

1 Thank susan s
Leesport, Pennsylvania
“Meeting Place at the shore”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have found the Black Trumpet to be a great meeting place when we and some other couples go to the Jersey Shore. Parking is easy, the view from the porch is great and the food has always been very good. Through the years we have tried almost every restaurant from Sea Girt to Asbury Park and this is one of our favorites. The food is not five star or exotic, but definitely above average and consistent. Never had a bad experience there..

• Visited July 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
“One of the best restaurants in the area with ocean front view”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Had another solid dinner here, sitting outside overlooking the ocean. Halibut was great with a house salad. Good one man band playing Jimmy Buffet type music. A must when in Spring Lake area.

1 Thank golfer6666