“Nothing Special”

Chateau Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Spring Lake
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed here on our wedding night because we were married nearby at the shore. Although this place is quaint and charming and spring lake is very pretty, its just a bit too old for me. I don't like when windows, doors, radiators etc. look old. The room was ok but smelled kind of damp. We had a first floor room near the reception, not very private for your wedding night. And they knew it was our wedding night too. They did not send us an amenity for our wedding where most send you champagne and/or a congrats note. For the price, breakfast should be included and its not. There weren't even water bottles in the room and we were dying of thirst after our wedding and had to drink tap water. Eww. Even worse, we had to pay for the two night minimum even though we only stayed for one night. I'm not sure there are better options near the beach (there might be?), but if someone opened a new beachfront or near the beach hotel and knew how to run a 400-500 a night hotel like they should, they would do phenomenal.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor near the main/reception area.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christieloves2travel

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was our fourth visit to the Chateau Inn in beautiful Spring Lake. This Inn is consistently good and I've reviewed it on a prior trip. I just wanted to add some info that would help select where in the Inn you will find a room to suit your needs. We've stayed in four different areas of the Inn. #1 across from the lake on Potter - if you're looking for a view of the park - it's not here unless there are no leaves on the trees. You're going to be, mostly looking into a tree. You will also get street noise, especially when the street sweeper is our early in the morning. #2 courtyard - very quiet, access from outside stairs is good. Interior stairways are very narrow and steep. #3 third floor - nice room, quiet, but don't bring alot of luggage 'cause you're going to be hauling it up two very narrow steep staircases. #4 the Annex - the Annex is a separate building in the courtyard. Our room on the first floor front was spacious and opened onto a lovely big porch with chairs overlooking the park on Warren. This was probably my favorite room. Its close to the street but if you have the air conditioner going it supplies enough "white noise" to override car traffic sound.

One note - the train station is very near this Inn. But, noise from the trains have never disturbed us and we're used to quiet since we live in the middle of thirty acres. Actually, a soft "woo-woo" once and awhile is a bit charming.

If you're looking for breakfast, try Ray's Cafe on Third Ave. It doesn't look like much on the outside but it's charming and clean inside, excellent service, good basic breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gazell56
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is not your typical bed & breakfast hotel. You must pay for your breakfast, unless you are on a package, which we were. It included breakfast, beach chairs and beach badges. Our room was beautiful. A very comfy king bed and a full kitchen, not that we planned to cook. The staff was very helpful with directions and recommendations for dinner. We had some great dinnners in local communities. The hotel is very centrally located to beaches. We visited Point Pleasant and the Spring Lake beaches and had beautiful weather to enjoy them.
We flew into Atlantic City and the drive was very nice up the coastline. If we ever and I hope we do, get to the Jersey shore again, we would definitely stay at the Chateau again.
A great vacation and a great place to stay. I would love to see it in the winter.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel0319
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This is our second time staying at the Chateau Inn and we would not hesitate to return again next summer. We found most of the staff to be very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My family and I had made a 3 night reservation and unfortunately were deterred by Hurricane Irene. The hotel is directly in the path of the hurricane. I called to cancel my reservation, as I did not want to put my family in danger. When I called the hotel, I was told that they would have to charge us for a deposit of over $500. They said it was their policy, hurricane or not. I told them that I was not aware of their policy when I made the reservation. The manager stated that an email was sent at the time of the reservation. Unfortunately, he quoted an email to me which was not the correct address. So, it was never received. He didn't care. In fact, he was rude to the point of addressing me by my first name, in a manner that was completely unprofessional.

When I asked him if he would drive his family into the middle of a hurricane zone, he told me that it wasn't the point. He said "We are talking about you, not me." Again, I repeated my question and he refused to answer. So, now I am left with a huge deposit, that the hotel is intent upon keeping, regardless of hurricane warnings that have been set up all across the eastern sea board. To try to defend his position, the manager sent me a weather report predicting only a 30 percent chance of rain, that contradicted the government's warnings, all news broadcasts, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc. all who are predicting a possible disaster.

It would seem to me that a luxury hotel should be far more understanding about Acts of God. For instance, the manager could have said, "Yes, I completely understand. Under these circumstances, we will abandon our policy, a policy of which you were never aware". Or "We can't refund your money, but we will be happy to apply it toward another stay."

Regardless, a hotel that was truly one of class, would not act like a money grubber that is more consistent with a cheap motel. A nice facade is no excuse for shabby, inconsiderate, rude behavior devoid of human compassion.

I will never stay here, and you should think twice before spending your money at this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Valerie N
chateauinn, General Manager at Chateau Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

All Chateau guests were issued full gift certificates without any penalty or restrictions in the full amounts of their deposits as a result of the Hurricane to be used for a future stay. Your gift certificate was issued and sent via email on Thursday, August 25th on the same day that you cancelled your reservation for your weekend stay.

If you would like to call and speak to us regarding rebooking for the upcoming year we would be happy to have you stay with us.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

they have thought of everything in terms of luxury and comfort. The mattress on the king sized bed in our room was the most comfortable one we have ever slept on (and as a result, we are buying the same one for our house!) The staff is always friendly and accomodating of all requests. The coffee, lemonade and cookies served throughout the day provide that "home away from home" feeling. Our family has been vacationing in Spring Lake for the past 25 years and we have tried many hotels/ B& B's. Once we discovered the Chateau we fell in love with its charm... there is no need to look anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 1 August 2011

the reviews for the chateau inn were true....it was a lovely place...no compliants...the rooms were clean & neat...the little ammendites...lemonade and cookies in the afternoon....just enough to put a smile on your face....the staff was friendly and nice...even at 2:30 in morning when i forgot my key in the room....looking forward to spending another weekend at the chateau..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Chateau Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!