“Decent, comfortable stay in Spring Lake”
Review of Spring Lake Inn

Spring Lake Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Westbury, New York
“Decent, comfortable stay in Spring Lake”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I just got back from a girl's trip to Spring Lake, NJ (August 24th-26th). The 5 of us stayed at the Spring Lake Inn in the Innkeepers' Suite (if you look at the rooms on their website, the pictures depict the room perfectly). The inn keeper's are friendly & helpful and the location to the beach is great, just a short 1 block walk. They provide beach badges, chairs, and towels too. There are snacks available in the afternoon and a fridge filled with beverages which are $1 (honor system), and the breakfast isn't bad. I wish they had a daily menu though. What we didn't realize till the last day (after we had already gotten our food) was that we probably could have ordered anything: pancakes, waffles, sunny side up eggs, etc... instead of just "the special".
Our room, which is right off the main foyer, was spotless & comfortable, and huge - perfect for a group of 5-6 girls or a large family. There is a large open area which has two double beds, and a living area, and a separate bedroom with another double bed. Although it boasts a TV, music, etc.. nothing worked. I had to call my husband to figure out how to get the TV, cable, DVD player all correctly hooked up and running so we could watch TV! When we asked the inn keeper, they said they didn't know how to hook up the TV and that the radio (Bose system) didn't work. I'm sure if I had fiddled with wires I would have been able to get the radio working as well! Overall, we had a nice stay, but nothing really stood out about the place. I would recommend it as a nice, no-frills inn, close to the beach, but not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank prncessmou
springlakeinn, General Manager at Spring Lake Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
We appreciate all feedback from our guests. Thank you for your very positive comments on the pristine state of your suite. We do pride ourselves in this.
To clarify, our beds are queen size and not doubles. There is a size difference.
Regarding our Bose surround sound system not working in the Innkeepers suite, many times prior guests have disturbed other guests with the sound up too high. To keep our Inn the quiet, relaxing haven that our regulars have come to expect, we disconnected the speakers. The top of the line Pioneer Elite Plasma HDTV sound does operate from the TV. To write that nothing works is unfair.
Daily breakfast includes an elaborate buffet table with many interesting items including quinoa salad, smoked salmon, rice pudding and other rotating items. Guests graze the buffet and some think that this is the entire breakfast. Our servers explain the daily hot item such as Creme Brûlée French Toast with fresh berry sauce or roasted vegetable Frittata. If there is a special diet we offer alternatives to accommodate everyone. We have by far the very best and most diverse breakfast offering around. For many of our guests this is their hearty meal of the day before their nice local dinner.
The Innkeepers suite is the only space locally can comfortably fit large families or friendly group gatherings of 6 guests or more. It is an apartment without a kitchen with 10 foot ceilings and stained glass fans, and a separate private access to the porch. This is a magnificent winning space which was recently redone by the Design Star show on HGTV.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We took a midweek holiday to celebrate our wedding anniversary with a stay at the Spring Lake Inn.

Our room was nicely appointed. The “romance” package we added included breakfast in our room, complimentary sparkling wine, a dozen red roses, a cheese and cracker plate, a selection of chocolates, a plate of fresh strawberries and a Christmas tree ornament keepsake.

While our interaction with the staff was minimal, everyone we did come in contact with was pleasant and helpful.

The inn’s location was just a block and a half from the beach and the south pavilion that offers one of the few remaining public saltwater pools in use along the coast (beach and pool badges were included with our room). We were within easy walking distance of the town’s three top restaurants, the namesake lake and there was a large ice cream parlor literally right around the corner.

The inn, like the town, is quiet and well maintained. Even though we live less than 50 miles away, our stay at the Spring Lake Inn was worlds apart from our day-to-day.

Room Tip: The turret room is tucked into a corner with windows offering a 180 degree view. Just the right size...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCTrenton
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My wife and I have been coming here for the last 3 summers in a row. The Spring Lake Inn is Charming and upscale with a very friendly staff. It's the perfect getaway to recharge my batteries and face the real world.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Jcaz89
Naples, FL
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My wife and I recently stayed there for 3 days with our son, his wife, and their 18 month old son. Donna, Alec and all of the rest of the staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and to enhance our stay by offering to make restaurant reservations, arrange for a high chair for our grandson, allow us and the parents to wash out baby bottles in the kitchen, etc. While the two rooms we had were not inexpensive, they were comfortable and kept clean by the cleaning staff, and the on-site parking, full breakfast, proximity to the beach, and afternoon cookies/tea were appreciated based upon stays at other inns in the Spring Lake area. Both my wife and I as well as my son's family plan to return there for long weekends in the future.

Room Tip: The Innkeepers Room, as well as units 3, 5 and 8 are slightly larger and better for more than two pe...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan H
Warminster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We just left after a 2-night stay at the inn where we enjoyed the people, the porch and the comfortable feeling of home. One has to realize that this is a historical structure that has been modernized to our present comforts as much as possible - hence the window air conditioner and varying room sizes. My husband and I found our accommodations (Canopy Room) quite adequate, especially with the loveseat for relaxing and TV viewing. The TV was mounted above the fireplace mantel on an arm that allowed adjustment for viewing from there or from the bed. Breakfasts were delicious, and besides the prepared plate there were several fresh fruits, baked goods, jams, butter, peanut butter, cereals, and yogurts. In the afternoon we had delicious iced tea and cookies or chocolate-covered pretzels. There were plenty of beach chairs and towels to use for the short walk to the beach, and we found this beach and pavilion a great place to spend the day. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: House faces south, so front rooms are bright all day. No worry about street noise here.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Many thanks to the Spring Lake Inn -- my husband and I had such a peaceful, lovely time while we were there a few weeks ago. It was so relaxing to sit on the front porch and relax at night. I loved that we could leave the car parked and enjoy walks all around to the various stores, and of course....the beach! We couldn't have been happier. Wish I was still there. See you soon and thanks again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peg B
Suffern, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Recently we spent a a weekend and stayed in a "better" room. The room was pleasant enough, not exceptionally large but not tiny. It had a unit air conditioner and a large screen TV, although the TV was placed so that one had to be on his side to be able to view it, rather than look straight ahead. The breakfast was fiine, and I'd have no complaints about the inn at all except for one thing - the price. We were quoted a rate of $379 per night which was high to begin with but with the 15% tax (higher than I expected) the cost came to almost $900 for two nights. Once we get into that price range, I expect more than pleasant. I expect some of the following - if not a true suite with a door, then at least a separate sitting area not on top of the bed, a shower AND a bath, a jacuzzi, a true oceanfront location (this was close enough to walk but not oceanfront and you really couldn't see the ocean from it), or minimally an oversized room of 500 feet. I believe only one of the rooms at that price had a jacuzzi and the other things mentioned, none had. If the price had been $100 a night lower, I'd have rated this five stars because it WAS pleasant enough and I can't find fault, but I just think a luxury price was charged for merely a comfortable, not luxurious, room. I'm aware that this inn has won some award for some of its rooms but since these were the best, I'm hard-pressed to see how as I've stayed at the shore in true suites with a separate balcony and where they served breakfast right at the room upon request. THOSE are the kind of extra's that were missing for the price. If the price was lower or the amenities added, it would have met my expectations.

Room Tip: Be very specific when you ask about the size, views and amenities.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MsMahjongg
springlakeinn, General Manager at Spring Lake Inn, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is only through guest feedback that we may continue to evaluate our hospitality offering in the marketplace. Spring Lake is a very special community and as such has a valued control of what historic buildings may and may not do. Balconies are not an option and a jacuzzi may interfere with a quiet stay of another guest. As one of the few remaining lodging facilities in Spring Lake we are competitively priced based on our single block location to the beach on a nice quiet side street, beach badges, beach chairs and towels, excellent expansive breakfast offering including healthy whole grains, quinoa salad, smoked salmon, spiral ham and vegetarian specialty items. Whole fresh fruit, cereal, candy and beverages are available at any time in our beautiful dining room with 12 foot high ceilings. Our afternoon snack includes iced green tea, fresh lemonade, brownies or cookies and seasonal watermelon. Our HGTV "Design Star rooms are in great demand and we are very proud to be the only Lodging facility selected to be on the show. The 3 rooms reimagined by the popular show are the most expensive of our 16 rooms but are discounted on weekdays. We also offer significant weekday discounts for those in need, military, teachers, handicapped, downsized, etc. Our regular guests love the Inn just the way it is. We do not try to be a hotel with room service, but a friendly, casual Inn with great and plentiful food. Guests who have stayed at other lodging in Spring Lake have a first hand knowledge of our place as the best relaxing facility run by hospitality professionals.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#5 of 6 in Spring Lake
White Lilac Inn
White Lilac Inn
#2 of 8 in Spring Lake

Been to Spring Lake Inn? Share your experiences!