“Lovely Victorian Inn by the Ocean”
Review of White Lilac Inn

White Lilac Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the White Lilac Inn many times and have been so pleased with the accommodations as well as the friendliness and courtesy of the staff. The rooms are always very clean with a unique theme attached to each room. We always look forward to breakfast which always contains a creative combination of eggs/bacon or sausage, french toast, fresh fruit, muffins, fruit juice, coffee/tea. The dining area is so pleasant and bright.

Beach tags are included with the room as well as bicycles, beach chairs and beach umbrellas. Everything is all there to make a stay at the beach comfortable and pleasant. The Innkeeper is very knowledgeable about the restaurants and activities in the area. I can't say enough positive things about our many visits to the White Lilac Inn.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The White Lilac Inn and Spring Lake offered the perfect respite after a stressful week. We escaped to the shore in the hopes of sitting on the beach, swimming and reading. It was cold and rainy all weekend so we never made it into the water. It did not matter. Our room (Room at the Top) was wonderful with a Jacuzzi tub and balcony where one can sit and read under a protective awning. There are no shortage of great dining options, the location is beautiful and the boardwalk perfect for walking. Thank you, Mari and the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GreenThumb276
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I found the White Lilac Inn while searching online for a place to stay. I prefer B&B's to hotels since I like to escape to a more peaceful environment whenever I'm on vacation. The White Lilac Inn is the perfect escape! I stayed in the Bonnie Brae room on the third floor. The room was very quaint but totally accommodating. It's perfect for one person or two lovebirds :) The temperature was comfortable (this level has central air), the bed was very comfy and the bathroom was clean and simple. The best part about the room was the noise level - there wasn't any! It was completely quiet no matter what time of day or night. I highly recommend the White Lilac Inn. I will be back next year :)
~L

Room Tip: Bonnie Brae Room for cozy, quiet, and romantic~
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have spent two wonderful weekends at the White Lilac Inn and can't say enough about the lovely accommodations and personable staff. Last fall we reserved rooms with two other couples and found the inn's seaside location to be perfect for a stroll to the beach or bike ride through this quiet community on a crisp autumn weekend. We reserved a room for mid July with the added bonus of knowing beach passes, chairs and towels would be available and our packing would be minimal. As on our first trip, our room was clean, quiet and private. We especially enjoyed the fun decor and glitzy touches of silver in the "Gatsby's Getaway" third floor room. Breakfasts too were quite a treat. Home made baked goods, omelets, juice and coffee were plentiful and the perfect start to a day at the shore. I highly recommend a stay at the White Lilac Inn any time of year.

Room Tip: All the rooms have character and charm. Be sure to check the web site for each room's location...
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I recently stayed at the White Lilac Inn with my two college age daughters for an impromptu one-night visit & was comfortably accommodated in the Gatsby Suite. We have been exploring Spring Lake weekends for the past several summers & always seek out places that will give us an authentic summer experience. White Lilac Inn is one of those places...innkeeper Mari is pleasant and helpful & made sure we knew about all the extras our overnight offered. We made use of the inn's beach chairs & badges, towels & twice rode bicycles around this most beautiful area.

We are not fussy but expect the most important things to be perfect...breakfast was omelets & delicious crumb cake, fruit, juice, coffee...the inn itself is appointed lovingly with many interesting nostalgic items & charming homey touches, giving it an old fashioned, genuine feel. We plan to return and recommend White Lilac Inn enthusiastically.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susanne7090
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the White Lilac Inn for two nights. I want to start by saying that we used to love the Sandpiper Inn in Spring Lake, and were so sorry that it closed. My comments are therefore in comparison to the Sandpiper.

There were many positives about the White Lilac Inn. Mari and the staff were very nice and helpful, and the room was great- clean and spacious (we stayed in the Victorian Suite). The bathroom was clean and the shower pressure very good. The only HUGE negative was the air conditioner, which was so loud that it woke us up multiple times during the night. The alternative (which we ultimately chose) was turning it off and sleeping peacefully in a hot room. The bed was very comfortable and we were not bothered at all by the train noises. The private porch would have been very nice, except that the air conditioner from the room next door was right on the porch and running constantly (very loud), making it impossible to sit on the porch and have a conversation. I think that these issues could be resolved easily by investing in new quiet air conditioners.

We took advantage of the beach passes and beach chairs, and the bikes, which they let us use even on the day we checked out.

Other reviewers have commented about the availability of snacks and drinks. It is true that there were snacks and drinks available, but Friday night when we came back from a long walk the only drinks in the fridge were soda - no water. Water bottles were available on Saturday, but asking people to pay $1 for a bottle of water or a can of soda (first one free) is offensive. For more than $300/night, drinks (other than lemonade from a powder) should be included. Further, the pastries that were offered were left over from breakfast and sitting out all day.

We enjoyed sitting in the living room, which has an eclectic mix of memorabilia. However, the coffee table was filthy and clearly had not been cleaned in months. We tried to play cards on the table and our hands were covered with black dust. Some serious cleaning of that room is needed.

Finally, we found the breakfast to be sub-par. In a "bed and breakfast" the breakfast should be memorable. We were expecting there to be at least two hot choices, plus a variety of other options such as cereal, many choices of fresh fruit (since it is the middle of the summer), home made pastries, etc. The first day the only hot choice for breakfast was omelets. I do not eat eggs, and so was offered a choice of cold cereal or fruit and toast. I was very surprised that there was no skim milk (only whole milk- in 2014?) for cereal, so I opted for the fruit and toast. My meal was one piece of whole wheat toast, a few slices of watermelon, a banana, some old shriveled grapes and some mushy blueberries. Very disappointing. My husband said the omelet was ok but not memorable, same with the coffee. The orange juice was certainly NOT fresh squeezed. Sunday's breakfast was better - blueberry pancakes- again, no skim milk available for coffee, orange juice from concentrate, etc. Again, in a bed and breakfast, one of the things you are paying for is the breakfast, and the breakfasts we had were certainly not worth paying for.

6  Thank NorthNJMom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We've been going down to Spring Lake for years and have stayed at the White
Lilac Inn many times. Mari and her staff couldn't be nicer and accommodating! There's always a very nice breakfast, with excellent homemade muffins, coffee, some kind of French toast, pancakes, or omelet and we feel like it's our home away from home. If you need dinner recommendations or reservations they are on it! I love the fact that beach passes are included. That said, I have to comment on a past negative review about this and the size of the rooms. When it comes to beach passes, Mari is always willing to give you your pass the day you arrive, even if it's before check in time. She will also let you use it the day you're leaving IF she is not booked up and the pass hasn't been promised to the next guest arriving. I feel this is fair. As for the rooms, there are large rooms and smaller rooms. If you take the time to look at the website you can tell which is which. We usually stay in Bonnie Brea, a smaller room but it's very cozy, quiet and comfortable. This is fine as we spend most of our time out of the room. We have stayed in most of the rooms at this Inn over the years and they are all comfortable and very clean. The bathrooms have good lighting and great water pressure in the showers.
You can't go wrong at the White Lilac Inn!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring Lake
#6 of 7 in Spring Lake
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to White Lilac Inn? Share your experiences!