“Our 20th Anniversary”

and 1 more site!
White Lilac Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Spring Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2010

My wife,Sandra and I stayed here on Oct.8th for the second time. Our only misgiving was that Mari and Buddy were not there when we were. We missed them. The Inn is an excellent play to stay. The location is great as is the Inn itself. Very charming and quaint. Spring Lake is a great place to be. We will surely be back again. Thanks Mari, Greg Henderson and Sandra Pruzansky

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for White Lilac Inn

Reviewed 9 September 2010

We planned a peaceful getaway to the 'white lilac room' and had hoped to enjoy sitting out on the balcony, opening the french doors at night to feel the breeze, and to enjoy the jacuzzi for two. Unfortunately, that experience did not materialize. Small rooms are common in B&B's from the 1880's, but this room had a bathroom the size of a closet and was almost impossible to navigate in. But putting the bathroom size aside, what really bothered us the most was the lack of attention to details.

We checked in on a day where the temperature was 90, hot, and humid. No one had turned on the air conditioner for us so we entered a room that was sweltering. Being that we were the only guests in the inn at the time, I couldn't imagine why this detail was overlooked. I expected to walk in and see a beautiful room with a big jacuzzi and a beautiful poster bed. That is what the photos looked like and it said 'jacuzzi for two'. Instead, we walked into a hot room where the jacuzzi was right in the middle of the room (and only big enough for one adult) and the poster bed was bare and drab. No one had even bothered to put up any drapery on the poster bed, so it looked lackluster and unromantic. On top of that, one of the window curtains was also hung wrong side out so it appeared that whoever put the room together did not care about its appearance.

All night long, the outside lights were kept on and so you had to keep the curtains closed to keep the lights from shining into the room. As though that wasn't enough of a problem, the NJ Transit train runs only 1/2 block from the B&B so almost all night long we were awakened by the train whistles. I went to sit out on the balcony area to enjoy the fresh air, and noticed that no one had bothered to put the cushions on the chairs for us nor did anyone sweep off the debris or cobwebs from the balcony. All of these things were very depressing and did not make me feel like any attention was given to appearance or comfort.

Because we slept so poorly and were awakened by the train whistles all night long, we decided to leave the next day and to go home early. We spoke to a staff member and asked if we could speak to Mari about the situation but were informed that she was not up yet. So we ate our breakfast, signed the bill, and packed to go home. We were there until 10 AM, but Mari never bothered to see us or inquire as to what was wrong. So we left the 'white lilac inn' with the distinct impression that our comfort was not important to the innkeeper. Overall, it was a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SLevittNj
Management response:Responded 7 October 2010

I am sorry that you seemed to disapprove of everything and were disappointed that there were no other guests staying that particular day. It was right after a Holiday weekend and the room you choose has the same bed in the picture, a 40gallon Jacuzzi tub, however, the curtains are different then the photo. They are room darkening to help keep out he sun and the A/C was there for you to use as you wished, but you kept the doors open to the porch... It is important to us that our guests enjoy their stay and I am usually available for my guests.
The day you spoke to my staff member I had been up as usual and had the early bird coffee out for my guests by 7:30am.
When Lara, my staff member came in she took over, which is her usual routine? Preparing breakfast and assisting guests. I did go back upstairs and was not available for you due to a Migraine headache, so I am sorry I did not get to speak with you, however, Lara had asked one of the couple "If everything was alright?" And she was told "It had nothing to do with the Inn, but one of them did not sleep well and was not feeling well and that on occasion they suffered from chronic facial pain and just wanted to go home." Your comfort is important to us.
We did not charge you for the second night we were concerned that a guest was not well. Once again I am sorry for your disappointment!
Mari.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

You will feel very welcome at White Lilac. The proprietors are concerned about where you will dine that night and making sure that you know where the bikes are parked as well as assuring that you enjoyed the breakfast. (The waffles one day, and omelet the next: they were delicious.) Mari and Franke genuinely concerned themselves with every aspect of our stay, but there was no hovering as you get soimetimes at a B&B. My wife and our children, 21 & 17, enjoyed the quiet street that is still a brief bike ride from the beach. We will visit again -- unless this enthusiastic review and the others below have the effect of shutting us out!!!

Reviewed 25 August 2010

The total experience along with the serenity of the suronudings makes the White Lilac Inn a perfect place to call home for your next vacation. The inn keepers and help were extreemly friendly and accomodating to every need. The ambiance of the Inn made it one of the most relaxing vacations we have experienced in years. What can be better, great Inn, Great Beach, New Jersey/New York food, the Yankees and of course the boardwalks.

Reviewed 25 August 2010

I chose the White Lilac Inn after checking on line for B & B's in Spring Lake. The Inn looked inviting and comfortable. We weren't disappointed.

Reviewed 8 August 2010

We went for our Valentine's Day, which had to take place a week later due to work schedules. The innkeeper is a lovely, helpful person. The rooms are tastefully decorated as is the whole inn. Our bed was very comfortable, even for me, someone with back pain. We had a fireplace, which was very romantic. I can only imagine how lovely the place must be in summer ! I would recommend this inn to anyone looking for an affordable getaway.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My wife and I are never disappointed when we spend a relaxing weekend at the Shore when lodging at the White Lilac. Great quiet location, with excellent service and a very graciuos host. It's always a memorable trip!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to White Lilac Inn? Share your experiences!