“Salt”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a small restaurant right off of 206 north of Stanhope. Very quaint. They have a large beer menu and the food is a step or two above bar food. Not all fried, they also offer noodle bowls, and other appetizer type meals. The service was good, don't let the abundance of tattoos bother you and you also have the option of paying for the show, which is on a stage located in the southern end of the restaurant. They host a lot of soft rock and folk singer entertainers.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Went for my son's celebration of first home closing. Food is above average with one of our dishes outstanding. My son got he mac and cheese as an appetizer, more hype than quality and not worth spending money on it. Service was a little sketchy with a young server who really did not seem that interested in her job. Prices are very high for the environment, but I think that is the idea. I would not be surprised if most have a hit or miss experience.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Okay, you're working in Centralish/Northernish New Jersey and you're tired of the yuppie restaurants and the chain gangs; so,where do you go? Salt! Self acclaimed NJ's first gastropub It seems like it is located out in the styx next door to the NJ Devil but it's right off of I-80 and Rt. 206. I dined there two nights in a row and it really must be one of the most relaxed dinner spots I've been to. The serving staff is young and "with it", the food is very well prepared and plated, and the desserts are epic (&made in house). There is an area for table seating and the bar area with a few high tops. It is world series time slash halloween movies on tv time so we were at the bar. PS the locals are really nice.

I had my preferred gin w/ tonic, Hendricks, on night one along with the gravelox app and salt burger followed by a slice of amazing peanut butter pie. Easy and delicious. To be honest, the gravelox didn't make an impact; but it was not bad. On night two, I hit their beer selection and ordered the pork loin for dinner. Again Totally satisfied.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I guess I can begin with my wife's first words as we exited after dinner, "wow,that was truly horrible!" We likened it to a PA resort we spent a weekend at 20 years ago, as that's how far back we have to go for a comparably bad dining experience. Last night we ate in Stanhope's #1 rated restaurant. No way can this be considered #2.

Appetizer, which the server said was amazing, was three thick strips of bacon cured by the chef himself, served with "a soft boiled egg". In reality, it was a greasy, salty fried egg, and the bacon was ultra greasy, fatty, chewy and inedible. The Mrs. wouldn't even bring it home for the dog!

The 6oz prime burger was good, though the three condiments with it were all salty, as we're the spiced fries, though the greasiness of them masked it somewhat. Her chicken, "grilled", was actually breaded and fried to a lovely greasy sheen. The bed of kale and lentils was as ordered, except "light" garlic seemed to morph into "extra" garlic.

On a positive note, my Genesee Cream Ale bottle was just right!

On the ride back I was handed two mints, followed a minute later by the question "They really hit the spot, didn't they?". Indeed they did!

And I'm only $60 lighter than before, so who's complaining?

2  Thank UncleJeffNewJersey
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Have been there a bunch of times over the last few years. Once thought it was great, but now I see it is slipping a bit. Went there this last Friday for a "date night" with my wife and were let down . We too have had food come cold in the center and needed to be sent back. Portions are small. Lots of beer to choose from and a large crowd at the bar. The food has become average. Not worth the price. Would not go back. Turning more into a bar.

2  Thank Doug0734