“Lovely Inn, fabulous breakfasts!”
Review of Whistling Swan Inn

Whistling Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Stanhope B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at the Whispering Swan for a nearby wedding. Rosalind was a very gracious host and our room was great- pretty without being fussy, very clean and most importantly, a really comfortable bed. Breakfast was on the large porch and it was delicious, especially the pumpkin French toast. I would highly recommend a stay here, it was delightful .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellenLeverett

Reviewed 23 June 2014

While visiting my family in N.J. I always stay at the Whistling Swan, because there is no better place to stay! The Innkeepers are wonderful and accommodating. The building and rooms are well kept, clean and beautiful. The breakfast and snacks are excellent, eating on the front porch is a bonus in the warm weather. Peaceful, quiet and superb is the Whistling Swan. I will be back for yet another visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

As a beginner to bed and breakfasts, I am grateful to have stayed at the Whistling Swan first, so I know how high to raise the standards for all of my future stays at other facilities! Honestly though, I could not have asked for a more comfortable and pleasant experience than what my boyfriend and I were treated to this weekend. Ros and Tom were continuously helpful, friendly and overall hospitable in every way imaginable. The breakfasts were easily the most exciting part of the day. There are also complimentary snacks available at all hours of the day. One can't seem to know how good a cookie and a coffee are in the afternoon until you're sitting in a plush red chair enjoying it here! The location is fantastic, with activities for all interests present throughout the area. Those looking to venture outside the area into New York City for an evening can park at the local Mount Arlington station and take the train in. We brought our boat for some weekend lake time and were pleasantly surprised to find so many lakes other than Lake Hopatcong in the area. If you're staying in for the night, there's movies, books, and boardgames galore. Our room was comfortable and immaculately clean. Overall I have not one negative comment about my experience at this B+B, and hope others reading will consider this location if staying in the area. The only recovery I now have to painstakingly undergo is the return to milk and cereal tomorrow morning...

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are much larger with more living space overall (ie. families of four could...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hanban1
47Ros, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. I'm so glad you both had fun discovering the many lakes tucked into this little corner of paradise. I'll look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This was our first time staying at a B&B and totally not disappointed! My husband and I spend 2 nights at Whistling Swan in late February. It was a treats to ourselves as newlywed who haven’t gone on their honeymoon yet. We picked the Stillwater suite base on people recommendation. It was a great choice and we thoroughly enjoy it. We received a tour at check-in of the house and peek into every single rooms that was unoccupied. Each and everyone so pretty and unique.

Stillwater room was clean, spacious (even though its call a mini-suit) for us. Love the jacuzzi bath! I had to try the breakfast even though I like to sleep in when I vacation. Breakfast was delicious and wouldn’t mind doing it every day for rest of my life!!!

I had to inquire about the rules for staying at a B&B, I am a newbie after all. All I remember was “no throwing guitar out the windows” lol. Whistling Swan atmosphere was so cozy and homey. I felt more like at an aunt’s home then at a paying venue! Going downstairs at 12am for a snack and a drink felt like I’m sneaking food back to my room where I’m not supposed to. LOL, it was a great experience. Will go back in future!

The owner Roz and her team made us feel comfortable. She was friendly. Problem now is that Roz and her team have set the bar so high for us, I’m afraid others will be hard to match!

Room Tip: Rates are bit high but worth it as a treat to yourself. Picking a suite is worth it for the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Galeya
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The Whistling Swan is a true Victorian lady set along a quiet street where each house has a porch and one can easily imagine a summer's evening with folks walking home from work or a Sunday morning as families walked to the nearby churches long ago. Roz, the innkeeper, is friendly and gave us lots of history about the inn and the large family that originally filled the bedrooms, living, and dining rooms with lots of noise. On a quiet May evening, the garden was just coming awake, and the hammock on the porch would be so inviting in another month.
Our room was clean and comfortable, the private bath perfect, and breakfast delicious. We had a great recommendation for dinner and set out the next morning refreshed.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you ever have the chance to stay at a bed and breakfast. Do Not miss the opportunity to stay here. The innkeepers Roz and Tom are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. This B & B is cozy, easy to find and in a convenient location for MANY day trips. the Breakfast that is served is fresh, tasty and well thought out. But better yet, the rooms are immaculate, ROOMY and very well arranged. I would give this a ten out of ten. Can't wait to go back. Very nice guests also.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
47Ros, Owner at Whistling Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. The staff works very hard to ensure that the guest experience exceeds expectations. It was wonderful getting to know you both, and I'll look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

On a terribly rainy march 30 we had my daughters bridal shower at the swan.Despite the awful rain and wind everthing was perfect the room was set up with the flowers we requested the mimosas flowed and the food was great. Roz and her staff were fantastic and made it an occasion to remember.. Furniture was moved quickly to help older guests so they missed nothing and were included in the gift unwrapping and cake cutting..Again thank you roz and staff for a wonderful event in our lives

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

I'm so pleased that everyone enjoyed the shower. Your guests were lovely and most appreciative of the staff's efforts. Thank you for your kind words; the staff works hard to ensure that the event is one the guest of honor will remember for a lifetime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanhope
4 mi away
#2 of 5 in Morristown
Wooden Duck B&B
Wooden Duck B&B
#1 of 1 in Newton

Been to Whistling Swan Inn? Share your experiences!